• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Emergency shuttoff valve

so what exactly does the fingerstick do?

When you block the EGR with a plate it will send codes to the computer.

You use a fingerstick too fool the computer into thinking the EGR is still working fine.

The fingerstick is three wires on one end and two on the other. The come together in the center, somehow.

Just google fingerstick and there are a ton of pics about it.

I just installed both on one of my Soldiers LBZ two weekends ago.

I recommend also putting the word "Duramax" infront of fingerstick. Some of the google image results I got had nothing to do with engines.

:eek: :eek::dot:

so can that be done on an obd1 gasser?

For an OBD1 gasser you would need a new PROM chip with the EGR shut off. They use the MAP sensor instead of a MAF sensor, and it is a bit trickier to trick as it only sees a momentary drop for a second or 2 and then levels back out. It will code though if it doesn't see a drop when the EGR is triggerred, but if the MAP dips to much it will stall out or blow black from entering accel mode. MUCH easier just to get a chip to progran it out.

For OBD-I's you only need to plug the line going to the EGR valve but OBD-Is don't have the MAF either, OBD-IIs to have physically block the flow of EGR because the PCM monitors the vac applied to the EGR via the firewall baro so PCM needs to see the pressure shift as vac is applied to the EGR canister, I have read easiest way is to put a piece of .050" shim stock, same shape/pattern of the EGR valve under the EGR, some folks remove the upper intake and plug the EGR tower/cone in center of the lower manifold with a steel freeze plug, some just pit on the non F intake manifold gaskets because the metal plate covers the hole, not best IMO because if it blows out you have metal ingested in engine and then possibly constant EGR flow depending what you did with the EGR valve.

Best option if so inclined is to get a complete F upper & lower from junkyard, then get a reflash or performance PROM tell the tuner to disable EGR stuff, now the caveat, tampering with or defeating emissions related equipment is not endorsed by the TTS site, you are on your own if you do this, prior information posted is for informational purposes only, should you encounter a truck that should be EGR-d but isn't you will know how it was accomplished to assist in troubleshooting.

Sorry; can't comment on the Mass Airflow Sensor... still flabbergasted about the PMD Heat Sink :D

If you thought thatta one ^was funny,..how about thissa one? :rof:

I found this J intake in my local scrapyards alluminum bin today, guy said,if you can use it,...it's yours for 5 buxs.
I figured on planting it on the wife's new to her truck,..minus thatta 'ahum.. "heat sink" ofcourse :hihi:
Now i got to find a 98 2500 ECM for it too.

Attachments

• J intake002.jpg
    J intake002.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 3
  • J intake001.jpg
    J intake001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 5
Heck,its got even a bunch of "strategicly" placed vent holes drilled in it,...from the bottom up fer crying out loud and not deburred either.
A one of a kind masterpiece of engineering and workmanship :thumbsup: :hihi:

He musta bought PMD's in bulk ;)

If you thought thatta one ^was funny,..how about thissa one? :rof:

I found this J intake in my local scrapyards alluminum bin today, guy said,if you can use it,...it's yours for 5 buxs.
I figured on planting it on the wife's new to her truck,..minus thatta 'ahum.. "heat sink" ofcourse :hihi:
Now i got to find a 98 2500 ECM for it too.

Holly cow! That's a good deal!

and nice heatsink Simon :rof:

Sadly after years of working on every car and truck in 2 counties I know what that "heat sink" is! thats the plate that holds coil packs on a Front wheel drive GM v6! bahahahahaha! Sadly I bet the threads were the same as our screws!

Back