• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Emergency shuttoff valve

bison

Reaction score
I was looking over the wife's new(to her) 98 and seen this valve sitting between the airfilter and elbow, it looks OEM
It is a electric one but have no clue as to what activates it,..there ain't no switch to be found anywere in the cab?

And how do you like this "wel designed"(LOL) PMD heatsink that is on it as well.

Attachments

• PMD heat sink.jpg
    PMD heat sink.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 36
  • shutoff valve001.jpg
    shutoff valve001.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 39
That "Valve" that you are Talking about, if it's in the 2nd Pic, it Looks like a Mass Air Flow Sensor to me.

I don't have that fancy thing on my 98.:nonod:
I thought the MAF sensor was one of the 2 thingemejingies on the intake cover...:skep:

Sorry; can't comment on the Mass Airflow Sensor... still flabbergasted about the PMD Heat Sink :D

That PMD should have been there for a while since that old black Stanadyne is not found anymore unless it is used.

My 98 has that MAF as well, it's a 1500 and maybe a light duty 2500 thing.

I think its the shut off used for Nat gas plant work trucks. NOT:hihi:.
Its a 1/2 ton "s" vin code engine thing. I want another 1/2 ton.

S engines from 96 on had a MAF installed in them to better monitor EGR flow(it would look for a drop in air coming from the air filter when teh EGR would be commanded on so that it knew it was then getting exhaust gasses instead of air). F engines did not use them. So basically 1500 trucks, and some 2500 6 lug trucks got them, but the 1500 BURB did not as it was an F engine.

S engines from 96 on had a MAF installed in them to better monitor EGR flow(it would look for a drop in air coming from the air filter when teh EGR would be commanded on so that it knew it was then getting exhaust gasses instead of air). F engines did not use them. So basically 1500 trucks, and some 2500 6 lug trucks got them, but the 1500 BURB did not as it was an F engine.

I was planning to delete the EGR(the thing is toast anyway), would that interfere with that MAF sensor...set a code?

On OBD2 you will need to have it flashed with a program to delete the EGR to shut it off otherwise you will probably get EGR low flow codes as teh MAF will not see a drop in airflow during requested EGR operation.

Some Canada & CA 2500s had them as well part of the "emissions package" IIRC 97+ was equipped with them, if the puter was smart enough it could have been an asset to have dynamic feedback and used to match fuel to air ratio, I long ago disabled mine when swapping to full F setup, as near as I could tell it was an input to the GM fueling tables as more of a diagnostic table and not so much as a dynamic monitoring of air to fuel ratio.

IIRC I ran it sitting on the fender to maintain signal continuity before removing it altogether when going to a F program, I've toued with idea of putting it in for monitoring of turbo flow experiments but haven't had time or made time to see how to do it.

On OBD2 you will need to have it flashed with a program to delete the EGR to shut it off otherwise you will probably get EGR low flow codes as teh MAF will not see a drop in airflow during requested EGR operation.

Ferm,

would there be any way to fool it like the fingerstick does on Dmax's?

Ferm,

would there be any way to fool it like the fingerstick does on Dmax's?

I'm sure you could, but you would be money ahead to just convert it over to an F engine ECM and get some extra HP with it. A used ECM from a boneyard would probably cost what a finger stick set-up for it would.

Back