• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electric Fan clutch

Hey guys. Sorry to dig this thread up again. I’m trying to figure out wiring for the clutch. I’ve read this thread over twice and still scratching my head!
I think the wire coloring on my clutch is different

I see everyone using the red for 12 volt + and I’m guessing the green is grounded to the truck. Would anyone be kind enough to let me know if the colors in my connector are correct and which pins I need to use? I just don’t want to burn up my new clutch connecting the wrong wires!!
image.jpgimage.jpg

Here are the wire assignments from A (left) to E (right) based on your first photo:
A and B control the fan.
C, D and E is for the speed sensor.

Connector Pins
A. Fan PWM ground
B. Fan hot
C. Low reference
D. Signal (speed) hall effect sensor
E. +5V reference

Here are the wire assignments from A (left) to E (right) based on your first photo:
A and B control the fan.
C, D and E is for the speed sensor.

Connector Pins
A. Fan PWM ground
B. Fan hot
C. Low reference
D. Signal (speed) hall effect sensor
E. +5V reference

just to be sure I’m reading you right…. Looking at my connector pin A (blue) will be ground and pin B (red) is hot 12v+
The clutch is from a 2010 express van 3500 6.6 d-max

this connector isn’t labeled with any pin lettering or numbers. Cheap Chinese made I guess lol

A bit confused: forgive not understanding the terminology, but what is ground (pwm)? According to this earlier post on page 15 the green wire is ground

Hey there, I just installed this setup on my K3500, but have yet to drive the truck. You are correct on your wiring. Fan clutch Red is + and fan clutch Green is ground. Both Orange and Blue on the fan controller are outputs. I used the Orange to go to the Red on the clutch. I used the Blue to go to an indicator light in my cab so I can see when the controller is commanding the fan clutch to engage. The other 3 wires on the fan clutch are unused. Good luck with your install!

I was thinking the wire coloring might be different since I bought the GPD 2911362 clutch off rockauto instead of the ac delco, couldn’t afford it lol. Needed the actual pin out for the connector to make sure

A bit confused: forgive not understanding the terminology, but what is ground (pwm)? According to this earlier post on page 15 the green wire is ground
Pulse width modulation.
A device that turns on and off the appliance to gain a certain run speed.
At least I think thats about the gist of it.

Correct. On the 2010 Express Van, the ground is Pulse Width Modulated through the ECM. This is how fan duty cycle is controlled.
Since there are variations in clutch wiring colors (OEM, AC Delco, others), best way to identify wiring is via connector pin assignments (A through E) as shown in the schematics.

last time I went to the Dr, they gave me progressives but I can't stand them. get too many headaches! I attempted to replace the cooling fan in my daughters macbook pro she used in college. it was a success but damn I was having a hellofa time focusing on seeing those tiny connectors and screws! I used to do cell phone repair all the time, now at 42 years old, that is a chore.

might have to get me one of those big lighted magnifier glasses for my desk!! lol that'll scare the crap out of the boys as they walk in our room and see a giant eyeball looking at them through one of those :p

I have the magnifier headband with variable lenses. Thats a mighty fine thing when working on computers and such.
Also, get one of those miniature screwdriver sets. I have one that came with about 20 bits of various sizes and shapes. There is also a little plastic pry device to remove screens and such frum celly phoneys.

First question, could this thread be made into a sticky ?
Next question: the fan controller wire diagram says that if the blue wire is not used to ground it. I run this to a LED light. Is that going to affect the performance of the fan ?
And last question is : My old school way of thinking is, the wires coming off of the fan itself, red I have to the orange output wire of the controller.
The black wire I run to ground ( old school thinking ) I read through this entire thread and at the very end discovered that the blue wire is suppose to be the ground unit, from off the fan clutch. Is that harming anything to have that black wire run to ground ? I will disconnect it and ground the blue wire and then I think that the fan not kicking in issue will be solved. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

My vision has failed. Have to wear glasses to read or drive. Fibocals. Used to be 20/20 and qualified as expert marksman. I can still shoot okay but the sights, or target, is blurry. Depending on which I want most the focus to go to.
Yep. I had to go to scopes. The only open sights I can use are front sight, front sight, front sight

First question, could this thread be made into a sticky ?
Next question: the fan controller wire diagram says that if the blue wire is not used to ground it. I run this to a LED light. Is that going to affect the performance of the fan ?
And last question is : My old school way of thinking is, the wires coming off of the fan itself, red I have to the orange output wire of the controller.
The black wire I run to ground ( old school thinking ) I read through this entire thread and at the very end discovered that the blue wire is suppose to be the ground unit, from off the fan clutch. Is that harming anything to have that black wire run to ground ? I will disconnect it and ground the blue wire and then I think that the fan not kicking in issue will be solved. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
I will have to look at mine and see which wires were used. I know only two are used on the clutch connector. one is ground and other power from the controller. I did find out from experience that the wire colors are different between brands of fan clutches. I at first bought an off brand one then later ordered the AC Delco one.

which controller are you using? Hayden makes two of them. one with a thread in sensor and the other with a probe that you can strap to something.

Back