• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electric Fan clutch

Okay, I’m tired of this screwing around with cooling system problems.
Hopefully next month I’ll be ordering components for the electronic fan system.
Is there a better temperature control sender that should be used ?

Also, if someone could. Please draw up and post the wiring diagram.

On this setup, where is the temperature control mechanism located at.
Just wondering, if the adjustment is located on the probe, that may prove to be difficult to get to.
The RR block off plate is somewhat obscured with wire harness retaining bracket and wire harnesses.

Okay, I did a little scrounging and searching.
It appears that the adjustment is made on the control box so tjat would make it mighty easy to mount where it can be adjusted without obstructions. 😹😹😹
Thank You AK and to the people that put this all together.

Question- Did folks use the temp probe that came with the fan control unit, or is it possible to splice in your own? When I installed my engine a few years ago I put another single wire temp sensor found in the #1 cylinder in the #8 location for a future gauge. Just got the parts for this in the mail and I see its two small gray wires that run to the probe included with the controller.

So question is, if anyone knows- can you cut off the sensor that comes with the controller and splice to the single connector that already is in my #8 cylinder, OR since it's 2 wires splice to the 2 wire connector found on the tstat housing (would have to change sensor in head here too obviously)

If you got the new controller- why mess with it. Just use the new assembly rather than complicate things. Plus the new controller should have a warranty- maybe only 90 days or something butg still, why ruin that.

Part curiosity, part laziness of not wanting to remove the sensor already in the head, part thinking of future ease of disassembly should either go bad. typical overthinking on my part 🙃

I just dont know about such things.
I have thought about drilling the thermostat housing, right by the temp sensor, tapping that and installing the controller unit in there.
I Already have a temp gauge sender unit in tje RR cylinder head so when the time comes, I’ll be removing a rear cross over plate, drilling and tapping it and installing the sensor into that hole.

You could drill and weld a flitting onto it, cant just tap because it is to thin- or just buy the one already threaded for it.
Oh yeah. Never thought about the thick of the cover.
Is there a source to purchase one ?
I could carve one out of 1/4 or 3/8ths flat too, probably drill and tap it before carving it out. 😹😹😹
For the reason it’d be mighty tough to hold once it is cut out. 😹😹😹

I don’t know where to buy them- used to be at the junkyard for a nickel...
Yeah, drill and tap crossover would work easy enough.

My default is to weld things up- sure miss having a tig. But thats why I just grab a fitting and chop it down to height needed and zap it to the plate after drilling a hole. If someone has the parts number pages- probably could google-fu some low cost ones ...

I drilled and tapped my cross over \, has worked fine for 2 years so far
Could You take a pic of the crossover, for location of drilling purposes.
I thought about drilling and tapping, just concerned about if the housing was thick enough to hold.
Why I mentioned close to the temperature sensor area.
I’ll be draining the cooling system to install the new Delco coolant pump and it’d be nice to drill and tap before refilling the system. That way when I make the move to the electro/viscous system, that much will be done.

Take a look (I can’t remember how tight it is) if you can just put a “T” in the current crossover port there now with the hose going straight thru and the sensor into the new T port.

Maybe call Ted’s and see if they have any of the threaded block off plates in the head pile?

Could You take a pic of the crossover, for location of drilling purposes.
I thought about drilling and tapping, just concerned about if the housing was thick enough to hold.
Why I mentioned close to the temperature sensor area.
I’ll be draining the cooling system to install the new Delco coolant pump and it’d be nice to drill and tap before refilling the system. That way when I make the move to the electro/viscous system, that much will be done.
20210712_182509.jpg

Back