• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Driver’s Side Window Binding

So got the window regulator and motor installed and it works fine. Ran into issues with the lock rod and the slide button it goes into. It won't lock into the plastic grommet on the button. Must have lost material. The grommet on the door hand is holding. I will need to hunt down the part, or get an entire plastic cup with interior lock mechanism.

IIRC those rods have a plastic retainer on the end with a little arm on it. It rotates and locks it on the rod. Probably brittle on got broken off

My rods have nothing on them. I thought they just stabbed in the grommet?

Would it be this:

1547247845582.png

Would that slide on the mushroom head of the rod after it's stabbed into the lock button?

I also have two plastic slides that the rods are supposed to run in. Neither will work when in those slides. The lock actuator motor loses full throw when the rod is in the clip towards the door handle. Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, the ones I'm thinking of are all plastic and part of the bushing the rod slides into. Haven't been into the gmt400 ones recently enough to recall for sure

Welcome @Salmathogan and @ElntTcare

most of our rigs at their age the grease in the rollers and other moving parts tend to dry up and begin to bind. over time as this happens the electric motor is under more stress and eventually gives out. Unless it's a hand crank, then just pull the regulator and clean out all the old grease. use the white lithium grease and lube it all good. while your in there do the same to the rod linkage, slides for them, door actuator motors, and latch mech too. you will thank your self for how it works smooth again.

one thing to note. I have learned that the rod that connects to the inside handle has a very slight "Z" bend in it that will streach out over time causing you to have to pull the inside handle to the max and sometimes have to force it slightly more to release the latch and open the door take that rod out and to the bench. slightly increase that "Z" bend in the rod and once re-installed you'll only have to pull the handle out maybe half way to release and open the door!

@dbrannon79 those two accounts are one person signed up 2 minutes apart, in order to spam. Notice the hot link in the supplied “answer” tot he problem so others will click on it to find out what it is and buy the junk. See how both memes are the same kind of app to make artwork, not like a truck picture. Neither has truck detail signature lines.
He (not they) is trying to pedal some crappy shades that obviously suck so bad they can’t do normal advertising but have to even trick people to look at their junk that belongs in a 99 cent store.

Then you would have LOVED the old Army C-Rations! What we called Screaming Yellow Death - canned scrambled eggs that when you opened the can, the eggs inside had a greenish tinge that matched the O.D. Green outside of the can! Then there was the Ham Slices in Juice (which was a briney sort of semi-jelled broth) that were 4 round slices that were slightly smaller than the can and also had a pinkish-white with a tinge of can green color to them, too!

I loved them old C rations. I think one of the meals was hash. Not to be confused with hashish. 😹
I could eat any of that stuff. From the slim pickins at home them things was like I gone to heaven.
I Might still eat them today if I come across some that hadnt rotted in the cans. 😹😹😹

I didnt have a regular paper route. I could buy the daily news paper for a nickel and sell them to people on the street for a dime.
A big day was maybe a 50 cent profit. I would buy something that caught My eye in the Ben Franklin or Woolworths store. Maybe a model car I had put on layaway or some such. A lot of layaway things was purchased in that manner but not until the one I had cornered was paid off.
Many times it would be a quart of milk, a half a dozen apples then I could make some apple crisp or Mom could bake an apple pie. That was always good times.
Got my drivers License, started work at this huge second hand furniture store/pawn shop combo.
That store also sold mobile homes. They would order in mobile homes with furniture, dressers, beds, vanities, etc, haul those items into the second hand store and sell it as new furniture.
They decided I could drive a truck. This old ford toter truck with a flathead V8. I think it was a 1948.
16 years old and hauling 14 foot wide trailer houses all over the eastern side of Montana. Oil was booming back then so there were many went to Baker and even into North Dakota. Then set them up, blocking, plumbing and plug in the electrical cord. Salesman would be close behind to check everything out. Be midnight before getting back to town, then, cruise around and drink until I was tired enough to sleep, then home. Much of my wages went in for food and buying my own clothing too. Go into a mom/pop store on Main Street, the Bean Bag, grab a case of Schmidt Beer for threenor four bucks a case, slap down the cash, lady would look me over, ring it up and out the door I’d go, laughing all the way. Bars too when I wanted a jug. Go in and set at a stool, order a beer and pay, tender come back around then order a bottle of Jack or Turkey and be on my merry way.
Never got busted or had a wreck so I think that Moms prayers of protection must have been mighty strong. Even now, I still experience the benefit of those prayers.

Back