• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

BNTK is a good choice for 5067/5281/5521 IPs and manual transmission.

Aside from having to swap the IP mapping parameters when it comes to 5068 IPs, any program can be used on any truck but you have to set the correct flag bits to enable or disable the tranny, or EGR or turbo functions, ect....the disassembly should identify most of them. I picked most of it off comparing BINs for different trucks. Kojo and I had done a lot of definition work from just looking at the Hex values and curves they make, ALDL files, and gasser files with 4L80E, ect...then the disassembly really fortified those definitions and identified additional parameters to define. I really pushed/begged to get the TCC flag bits identified, as its very helpful, and won't find them anywhere else.

Who really cares when it started, all that matters is what is happening NOW. thedrip took the files down to comply, and is being MORE than understanding of this situation all things considered. It would be impossible to have been able to tell if they were his files or not as so many definition files ARE free for use with tunerpro. I found the same files years back, but didn't take much interest in it as I had lost interest in dealing with the 6.5 and was ready to move on to a platform with more potential. So enough of the when it began, and lets deal with what is happening now. If you want to be helpful and offer some direction or your own files, then so be it. Otherwise this back and forth banter over when is doing nothing for the thread.

So lets get back to the topic of OBD1 DIY tuning.

Whats your DEAL? It wasn't banter, I thought GW was trying to be helpful, and just made an error. Since they were posted ON THIS FORUM more than 4 weeks ago it made this forum more likely the originator by his note.

The definition files were stolen/uploaded/pirated many years ago.

They know who they are and so do many others.

Those "many others" also know who's using them currently.....

:ninja:

I think KOJO must be upset or something...did someone wrong him as well as Westers and Heath? he no longer shares his works...he no longer posts...I wonder what would cause such an innovator to just disappear like that...things that leave you scratching your head for sure...

Whats your DEAL? It wasn't banter, I thought GW was trying to be helpful, and just made an error. Since they were posted ON THIS FORUM more than 4 weeks ago it made this forum more likely the originator by his note.

There is no need to go back and forth over it. He said what he thought, there is no need for you to question him or to correct him. We welcome all discussion here about the topic at hand, and welcome any foresight that helps obtain the end goal of this thread in an open format.

There is no need to go back and forth over it. He said what he thought, there is no need for you to question him or to correct him. We welcome all discussion here about the topic at hand, and welcome any foresight that helps obtain the end goal of this thread in an open format.

This makes no sense at all. I will correct people if I like, there was no stated offenses or any malintent.

Should I have just let people waste their time with 32kb BIN files until someone figured out the error? If someone has any questions they can contact me, because I dont want to correct or offend anyone with information.

This makes no sense at all. I will correct people if I like, there was no stated offenses or any malintent.

Should I have just let people waste their time with 32kb BIN files until someone figured out the error? If someone has any questions they can contact me, because I dont want to correct or offend anyone with information.

If you want to contribute, fine. If you want to go on and on about things that have no bearing on it then do that elsewhere. We welcome you to contribute and be constructive, but going on and on about when the files got to lyndon or how has NO bearing at all what so ever on this thread. If you want to discuss that, then open another thread and do it in OT. Other than that this matter is closed.

At the risk of having my posted redacted, I don't think it's cool at all for a moderator to use his powers to shut down a personal argument he's having with another member ... particularly redacting another member's post when it wasn't needed.

At the risk of having my posted redacted, I don't think it's cool at all for a moderator to use his powers to shut down a personal argument he's having with another member ... particularly redacting another member's post when it wasn't needed.

Thanks for your input.

Now lets get this thread back on topic and keep it there.

Last edited:
I'm all for doing that and tried to a few posts back.

And that is all that I asked for was the thread to get back on track, and let the OT portion that derailed the end goal of an AFFORDABLE OBD1 tuning option to come to a halt. So hopefully soon we will have some defintion files for open use and everybody can continue this venture to help the whole 6.5 community. Maybe we can also find somebody to write a VDF file for OBD2, or somebody to build an adapter harness to run an OBD1 ECM in an OBD2 truck.

Rant mode on....

They only needed to google 'EC.XDF'. He found my disassembly on gearhead-efi along with the XDF file. Gearhead-efi took down the offending XDF file very rapidly after finding out it was based on copyrighted material. A bit more googling (which I am going to guess Wester's did) would have led him here, to dripspeed's site, and probably to at least a few other sites hosting the file(s). Wester's does have a right to defend copyrighted and licensed material. If you think his price is too high, then don't use his product. You don't have the right to think that the price of a television set is too high and just walk out of a store with it without paying. It's just plain wrong. From Catholic to atheist, most of us were taught growing up 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' or something very similar but now is it not convenient? The fact is that someone that bought Wester's package leaked the file, breaking the copyright and/or license agreement.

You have disassemblies that are enough to decode and develop an XDF. If you use a 'free' XDF for any of the automatic transmission vehicles (4L60E/4L80E), update the addresses, then add the diesel stuff that is well documented in my disassembly, you do not have to break a copyright. You know, I think doing a disassembly to the level of the one that I *gave away* so that someone else could make a from-scratch XDF file is being awful nice since that represents hundreds if not a thousand hours of work.

Rant mode off...

Also, the new engine controllers are all being locked up tight, thanks to new EPA rules, IP protection, and liability. The OEMs (and I work for one) do not really want to 'give away' too many more secrets than they need to. Also with the model-based controls it's not like you can just 'crank up the boost' or 'crank up the fuel'. Table functions are now so interwoven that it takes a 4,000 to 10,000 page manual to describe the calibration process... along with many cautions and warnings. A real-life (true) example from a turbocharged gasoline ECM - one scaling factor used to model the intake manifold volume. So you lower the value so you get a bigger 'pump shot' - the MAP value estimated by the MAP reconstructor leads the true value of MAP. But you now destabilize the MAP reconstructor, throttle airflow estimator, desired throttle position airflow corrector, feedforward torque delay compensator, boost pressure controller, and MAF-to-boost pressure feedback corrector algorithms. The calibration manual specifies that you need to measure the frequency/phase response of the loop and gives a procedure to do it and you need some high-speed logging (>1000 Hz) to do it. But a DIY calibrator does not have that piece of information or procedure. That single change of one value then causes the throttle to thrash back and forth and wear itself out in ten or twenty miles - then stick OPEN when the gears break. Fortunately the OEM put in detection logic to find a broken gear but it just shuts the fuel off and you coast to a stop. All of the newer controllers work in this interwoven manner and so part of the 'locking it up' is not only for emissions but liability and also making sure that someone tuning it has the correct information on how to tune it. Probably one of the 'most common' ways of tuning an engine now is Matlab CAGE or similar tools - google it. Data is gathered normally on a motoring engine dyno then fed through CAGE to generate engine performance models. You can run embedded models (calibration and code are intertwined, with tables replaced with polynomials from curve-fits, plus differential equations). That would be almost impossible to 'tune' as there are no tables there to tune. I've not generated code like it but apparently it is being done.

I think KOJO must be upset or something...did someone wrong him as well as Westers and Heath? he no longer shares his works...he no longer posts...I wonder what would cause such an innovator to just disappear like that...things that leave you scratching your head for sure...

I'm here alive and following discussion. Reason why i havent posted anything for long time is lack of time, Like some of you know i work for company which makes IT outsourcing services, and there has been one person missing from my workshift almost whole this year so i dont have there any spare time because i must do his work too, and in these days looks like they are outsourcing our jobs to india, thats why i've been used my spare time to develop my own business here, That includes tuning, spare part trading, importing vehicles from USA, repairing trucks here etc...
I just got K2500 to my yard so i have test bench again after 13 months...
And just got this inspected http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/416511_3774969729080_1964540572_o.jpg

BNTK is a good choice for 5067/5281/5521 IPs and manual transmission.

Aside from having to swap the IP mapping parameters when it comes to 5068 IPs, any program can be used on any truck but you have to set the correct flag bits to enable or disable the tranny, or EGR or turbo functions, ect....the disassembly should identify most of them. I picked most of it off comparing BINs for different trucks. Kojo and I had done a lot of definition work from just looking at the Hex values and curves they make, ALDL files, and gasser files with 4L80E, ect...then the disassembly really fortified those definitions and identified additional parameters to define. I really pushed/begged to get the TCC flag bits identified, as its very helpful, and won't find them anywhere else.

TCC lock while decelaration is solved... it can be found from one of GM's original chips...

Is getting an emulator the best option for personalizing results?

An emulator allows you to make changes real time. You can do it without it though, it just takes more time to do as you have to pull the chip out, flash it, put it back in, and then retry your changes. With an emulator it is in the loop the whole time and you can make changes while driving real time and see what they do instantly. It is not neccesary to have, but is nice for a tuner or shop to have as it cuts down on the time involved to fully customize a tune for a specific vehicle.

Rant mode on....

They only needed to google 'EC.XDF'. He found my disassembly on gearhead-efi along with the XDF file. Gearhead-efi took down the offending XDF file very rapidly after finding out it was based on copyrighted material. A bit more googling (which I am going to guess Wester's did) would have led him here, to dripspeed's site, and probably to at least a few other sites hosting the file(s). Wester's does have a right to defend copyrighted and licensed material. If you think his price is too high, then don't use his product. You don't have the right to think that the price of a television set is too high and just walk out of a store with it without paying. It's just plain wrong. From Catholic to atheist, most of us were taught growing up 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' or something very similar but now is it not convenient? The fact is that someone that bought Wester's package leaked the file, breaking the copyright and/or license agreement.

You have disassemblies that are enough to decode and develop an XDF. If you use a 'free' XDF for any of the automatic transmission vehicles (4L60E/4L80E), update the addresses, then add the diesel stuff that is well documented in my disassembly, you do not have to break a copyright. You know, I think doing a disassembly to the level of the one that I *gave away* so that someone else could make a from-scratch XDF file is being awful nice since that represents hundreds if not a thousand hours of work.

Rant mode off...

:BDH:

We get it. The horse is dead.

Back