• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

I actually did post a disassembly of a modified BJAX a few pages back. It's all there just not all labeled. Give me some time and I will make some new files. It is a long time consuming process.

I actually did post a disassembly of a modified BJAX a few pages back. It's all there just not all labeled. Give me some time and I will make some new files. It is a long time consuming process.

Take your time. On a positive note, were making some headway with slim's truck. I've sent him a file now modified on my end, and it works so hopefully we have that hurdle done. Just trying to iron out the bugs now, but he said he is seeing some actual measureable boost now on the guage at low RPM's like he never did before. After looking at the timing map of his previous tune though, I can see why it wouldn't spool up and was coughing on him.

I'm having trouble understanding how to save the bins when I read the chip
s. I have three of them I could try to read and post if it helps. You guys are really making a breakthrough. Please don't stop.

If you get the one that is basically an HX35, 12cm^2 turbine housing, it should spool fast enough that it will take about any timing and fueling adjustments just fine down low. You also have to realize the refernce that timing is based on. The 6.5 uses cam referenced which is half crank timing, so these things are pretty well advanced at idle, 17-22 degrees crank timing, compared to what modern stuff is. Not all of the stock programs had that much idle advance, but 9-10 degrees at idle makes it feel pretty good off the line, engine power wise.

You could say that starting with what is likely Wester software is using others' work, although not the original offender that posted them online. The time to define these parameters is quite extensive. The programming tools available to DMax guys is much better defined and cheaper for modern stuff, but this stuff to program OBD1 runs $1400 in the Westers package. They apparantly don't sell them separately. I have no love for Westers though, and think they did a very poor job actually, compared to what some real disassembly whiz's can do. I have collaborated with a few pros at that and some of that effort is also available online for making the definition files independently, can't thank those guys enough. I think Rainstate has also been working to correct some of the errors in the files. I also appreciate the work Moates has done to make tuning DIY, they are good people to support.

Nobody seems to mention that the $1400 package includes all gas and diesel, as well as adapters, burner, eraser and tech support. The comments about 'poor job' are uncalled for. There have been no efforts on the part of the 'theft society' to correct anything in our templates as they're direct word for word copies. If they're so poor, point out the problems...and I'll point out where you're wrong.

Nobody seems to mention that the $1400 package includes all gas and diesel, as well as adapters, burner, eraser and tech support.

Well, as dripspeed and rainstate have demonstrated, the chips and the adapters can be had for under $50. A burner can be had for under $100. The 27fs512 chip is an EEPROM, so it doesn't need an eraser. The software is free (unless you "contribute" $39) and none of us need the gas files. And it seems like the members here are able to offer quite a bit of support.

Remind me why anyone would spend $1400 for the same thing they can get for under $200? That's a hell of a mark up ...

The comments about 'poor job' are uncalled for. There have been no efforts on the part of the 'theft society' to correct anything in our templates as they're direct word for word copies. If they're so poor, point out the problems...and I'll point out where you're wrong.

All hubris aside here ... but I don't think anyone would have bought the product from you anyways. On top of that, I think I saw earlier that a couple of members here are working on creating new definition files.

I think you're making a mountain out of molehill. You're pitching a fit because a small subset of users found a way to do what you're doing and not charge a 700% mark up. *insert comment about supply and demand/capitalism here*

@Orionthade Gotta love that feeling you get when goading the loser. Maybe start chanting "Start the bus!"

Not really trying to goad the loser. Just pointing out that Wester's charges $1400 for a kit that can be sourced for cheaper. In other words, what's ultimately happening is that they are not being competitive and are now crying foul because people have realized that.

Well, as dripspeed and rainstate have demonstrated, the chips and the adapters can be had for under $50. A burner can be had for under $100. The 27fs512 chip is an EEPROM, so it doesn't need an eraser. The software is free (unless you "contribute" $39) and none of us need the gas files. And it seems like the members here are able to offer quite a bit of support.

Remind me why anyone would spend $1400 for the same thing they can get for under $200? That's a hell of a mark up ...

All hubris aside here ... but I don't think anyone would have bought the product from you anyways. On top of that, I think I saw earlier that a couple of members here are working on creating new definition files.

I think you're making a mountain out of molehill. You're pitching a fit because a small subset of users found a way to do what you're doing and not charge a 700% mark up. *insert comment about supply and demand/capitalism here*

I'm sorry you feel that way, I pay licenses to those who've developed the majority of the gas templates for each system I sell--so there's no 700% markup like you think. We make about 10%-15% on each system we sell to tuning shops.
Yeah, there's a lot of freebie-cheap stuff out there that make it tough to compete. Ok, I'm done.
Hope you're never in my shoes someday.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I pay licenses to those who've developed the majority of the gas templates for each system I sell--so there's no 700% markup like you think. We make about 10%-15% on each system we sell to tuning shops.
Yeah, there's a lot of freebie-cheap stuff out there that make it tough to compete. Ok, I'm done.

So why not offer a kit that is specific to the needs of the consumer rather than a kit that contains items that are useless to the consumer.

Like I said, from what I've seen, you didn't keep yourself competitive. Speaking for the 6.5 crowd, we don't need a kit that includes EVERY gas odb1 file. We need a kit that includes the the file that is specific to our truck.

Bottom line is that it is is poor sportsmanship to come complaining because others have found that the real cost for what you're offering is a fraction of what you're charging.

Nobody seems to mention that the $1400 package includes all gas and diesel, as well as adapters, burner, eraser and tech support. The comments about 'poor job' are uncalled for. There have been no efforts on the part of the 'theft society' to correct anything in our templates as they're direct word for word copies. If they're so poor, point out the problems...and I'll point out where you're wrong.

I (we collectively) have considerable respect for your accomplishments in tuning but, as this is your first day here to a forum that has been the absolute #1 source for knowledge shared in the 6.x community for over 4.5 years, let me point out that you are mighty damn late to the table. So who was it that tipped you off? Never mind... I already know... I thought I saw something said about copyrights. Please provide that info specifically so our members here are aware in their quest to do better than you did as you have proclaimed to surpass GM. That's the backbone of enthusiasts like us... Always to make it bigger/better/faster. I suspect you will agree or you wouldn't have gotten into it yourself.
Welcome to The Truck Stop by the way. I think you will find a great group of friendly and helpful enthusiasts here and I'm quite sure you'll find alot of (well deserved) pride among them as well

I (we collectively) have considerable respect for your accomplishments in tuning but, as this is your first day here to a forum that has been the absolute #1 source for knowledge shared in the 6.x community for over 4.5 years, let me point out that you are mighty damn late to the table. So who was it that tipped you off? Never mind... I already know... I thought I saw something said about copyrights. Please provide that info specifically so our members here are aware in their quest to do better than you did as you have proclaimed to surpass GM. That's the backbone of enthusiasts like us... Always to make it bigger/better/faster. I suspect you will agree or you wouldn't have gotten into it yourself.
Welcome to The Truck Stop by the way. I think you will find a great group of friendly and helpful enthusiasts here and I'm quite sure you'll find alot of (well deserved) pride among them as well

Well said, Mike.

But it cost microsoft millions to develop Windows ME

LOL

This is true. But Microsoft also created a way for uber geeks like myself to obtain their software for VERY little money.

Consider that a Technet Subscription costs $450 a year and gives you access to all versions of Windows, SQL server, Exchange server and Office ...

But I digress. lol

And I think that explains the way guys with old trucks feel about paying new prices for old technology. I've been in disbelief that the door has been locked so long.
LOL

This is true. But Microsoft also created a way for uber geeks like myself to obtain their software for VERY little money.

Consider that a Technet Subscription costs $450 a year and gives you access to all versions of Windows, SQL server, Exchange server and Office ...

But I digress. lol

Back