• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

I believe I found a problem in this latest .xdf file in how it updates the checksum. I know slim tried to do some real time emulating on his and ran into trouble with it. I looked it over and I think I found it but will wait to hear back from him first to see if it works before I post it up.
one mistake is calibration ID is 16 bit and start address is $4000, not a big deal usually.I can change it or Dripspeed can. I'll look for more, and add a few things I forgot later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I found a problem in this latest .xdf file in how it updates the checksum. I know slim tried to do some real time emulating on his and ran into trouble with it. I looked it over and I think I found it but will wait to hear back from him first to see if it works before I post it up.

one mistake is calibration ID is 16 bit and start address is $4000, not a big deal usually.I can change it or Dripspeed can. I'll look for more, and add a few things I forgot later.

Well I found one problem in it that was causing any modified tune to not work was that it was saving the checksum to 4004 instead of 4006. I changed that and it will now at least run on a modded tune and not stall instantly with the emulator, but it still doesn't run correctly on a modified tune file. I tried using the other .xdf and made all of the changes with it and resent the moddified file to him to retry. Something about what it is doing makes no sense though. He can burn a copy of his stock chip and it works, he burned a copy of somebody elses modified chip and it works, but as soon as he makes a change using tunercat it goes to running like crap or shuts off he said.

Last edited:
Well this BNTK tune file is proving to be a huge pain in the hind end. Any change to it causes it to run like crap and basically become undriveable from his description and smoke white heavily. I have tried both .xdf files, and it doesn't seem to matter which one. He has had it running on the stock chip via the emulator and tried to make a change and it will shut off, so I don't think chip orientation is the issue here. Something is funky here with it though.

Getting closer to having the adapters ready. Just waiting on eprom sockets and the eproms themselves to show up from China.

The PCBs turned out great. Both sides are identical, except the bottom doesnt have the eprom socket outline silkscreening. The text is all exposed copper plated with solder. Good looking boards, I'm happy!

Dug around, and found a socket and an eprom in my box of random tidbits left over from mocking up my first adapter. I put together an adapter, took a couple pics. I still haven't cleaned off the flux, and I think for the production pieces I will trim the pins a bit, keep everything a little neater looking.

Adapter works (always a good sign). Burned a tune, this is now the adapter & chip in my truck, instead of the old prototype board adapter I made.

And don't worry, the dripspeed logo is on both sides of the board, so even with an eprom in place, the information is available by looking at the bottom :biggrin:

I think $20 for an adapter, $30 w/ programmed chip. This means complete tunes for $30!

Just need for more people to get developing and testing tunes.

I should really finish setting up the dripspeed website store, and sooner or later i need to pay my vendor fees.

A switchable tune is also a must! :D

Look good, Drip. If you can do a switchable tune and keep the cost under $100, while still making a few bucks for yourself, that would be awesome.

I received the eprom sockets today. I can start soldering together the adapters the next day I have off work (tuesday). Still waiting on the eproms, and also on the male headers, so I can make the read adapters (for reading oem chip w/ normal eprom programmer).

Getting closer every day!

C'mon guys, ya'll should be excited about $30 tunes.

I'll be doing the burned chips seperate as well, so buy a $30 adapter + chip with a tune on it, unhappy with the tune you chose, $10 buys another chip with another tune.

As for the multi-tune adapter. Lets see how these singles go. I have a design here, I just need to mock it up to verify it it works correctly.

The prices are great. The reality is that we don't yet have some tried and tested tunes. That is what is going to really make the deal. Otherwise, it's just cool to be able to burn your own chips.

The prices are great. The reality is that we don't yet have some tried and tested tunes. That is what is going to really make the deal. Otherwise, it's just cool to be able to burn your own chips.

How did the tune I posted awhile back work out for you? Let me know how it worked and I will start building some tunes for people to try out. Still working with slim trying to figure out what the deal is with his manual trans. He can flash a stock tune file and all is well, but as soon as you modify it the fit hits the shan.

It's working fine. I can't say I can tell any enormous differences. I would like to flash the old tune and the new tune on a switchable so that I can test the differences on the fly.

Our adapters aren't quite as simple as that. The moates piece goes from a 256kbit eprom to 512kbit eprom, both 28 pins. We start with a 512kbit eprom, which means going to a 1024kbit (1mbit) eprom, which is 32 pins. Not quite as simple. Still doable, and i have a couple 1mbit eproms here to play with. I need to get some of these single adapters sold before I can reinvest the money into multitunes.

When these adapters go up for sale (very shortly), I will run a special on burned eprom chips. Try to get as many people trying out as many tunes as possible, so we can get a library of tunes going.

Back