• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

Did anyone ever post details (that was willing to share) about how to set up a multi-tune? I thought I saw mention of it a while back, but don't remember seeing any specifics.

The basic premise is pretty simple. You build an adapter which lets you use a larger eprom (say 4x larger than stock), connects all the data and address pins to stock, and connects the 2 extra address pins to some type of switch. Not super complicated, and I have a working prototype here, but I want to see how the single tune adapters sell before I commit money to the multi tune adapters.

How much are you selling the single tune adapters for? Are you beating Moates prices?
I have two friends that I'll have buy them as soon as we have come up with a good tune.
The economy tune of the fermanator's works without any glitches so far. I just need to do some comparison to find out how much improvement it is over stock.

Not so sure everyone will be real shocked, although anything modified from stock is already pretty shocking.

not just shocked from stock programming...I know personally the talent this guy has in writing custom tunes, and after talking with him regarding the 6.5, there is going to be a big difference for the larger turbo users especially the ATT... JMHO

For one thing, creating boost also creates backpressure on the exhaust which takes more horsepower. If boost is unnneeded to maintain speed, then it could be robbing horsepower.

I haven't decided on a price for the adapters just yet, but it will definitely beat moated. I will be offering them shipped with or without eproms. Eproms can be burned with any program you provide, or is available for download.

I think the key will be improving the library on your website. It would be nice to include the commentary of both the creator and those who have tested them. Then they will just select tunes and order what they need.

not just shocked from stock programming...I know personally the talent this guy has in writing custom tunes, and after talking with him regarding the 6.5, there is going to be a big difference for the larger turbo users especially the ATT... JMHO

Thats a big maybe, the 6.5 may not respond nearly the same as a DMax, especially when the Dmax uses a VGT. And you can believe many things have already been tried.

Well one thing is for sure, there is more there than what the traditional aftermarket has given.

If using the GM turbo, it will respond to about anything you throw at it, makes it easy on a programmer, and produces good low end without smoking.

How about an h1c/h1e combination? Would programming needs be pretty similar to the gm8?

Well one thing is for sure, there is more there than what the traditional aftermarket has given.

If using the GM turbo, it will respond to about anything you throw at it, makes it easy on a programmer, and produces good low end without smoking.

I have to congratulate each of you that are getting your feet wet with tuning the right way. Most so called tuners get there start with stealing someones hard work and making a change or two and then calling it their own. The Duramax community at one time was littered with hackers like this. Now not much is publicly shared. Keep up the good work guys.....

Good Point. One of the reasons I appreciate Buddy's contribution. He has already done the work, yet is still advising.

I have to congratulate each of you that are getting your feet wet with tuning the right way. Most so called tuners get there start with stealing someones hard work and making a change or two and then calling it their own. The Duramax community at one time was littered with hackers like this. Now not much is publicly shared. Keep up the good work guys.....

How about an h1c/h1e combination? Would programming needs be pretty similar to the gm8?
If you get the one that is basically an HX35, 12cm^2 turbine housing, it should spool fast enough that it will take about any timing and fueling adjustments just fine down low. You also have to realize the refernce that timing is based on. The 6.5 uses cam referenced which is half crank timing, so these things are pretty well advanced at idle, 17-22 degrees crank timing, compared to what modern stuff is. Not all of the stock programs had that much idle advance, but 9-10 degrees at idle makes it feel pretty good off the line, engine power wise.

You could say that starting with what is likely Wester software is using others' work, although not the original offender that posted them online. The time to define these parameters is quite extensive. The programming tools available to DMax guys is much better defined and cheaper for modern stuff, but this stuff to program OBD1 runs $1400 in the Westers package. They apparantly don't sell them separately. I have no love for Westers though, and think they did a very poor job actually, compared to what some real disassembly whiz's can do. I have collaborated with a few pros at that and some of that effort is also available online for making the definition files independently, can't thank those guys enough. I think Rainstate has also been working to correct some of the errors in the files. I also appreciate the work Moates has done to make tuning DIY, they are good people to support.

Thats a big maybe, the 6.5 may not respond nearly the same as a DMax, especially when the Dmax uses a VGT. And you can believe many things have already been tried.

IMO like anything, there is always room for improvement...

I'm no expert...but the stock LB7 turbo isn't much to talk about...is it a VGT? heck if I know because I did what the 6.5 guys doing...going larger...so I don't much care if it was vgt or vvt...

I've since changed over to an HTT66 with the rebuild, and with all the different variables in this build Carillo rods, cut and coated pistons, stiffer valve springs, mild head work, 40% over injectors, 42% over cp3 and a modified fuel regulator AEM brute force intake...considering he did the tuning through email knowing these variables and was spot on with a 5 position tune(and did this all "for free"...just like he is doing for 6.5rs) says a whole lot about his abilities...his character and willingness to truly help the 6.5 community and not profit from it by selling "anything is an improvement over stock tuning" is beyond reproach...JMHO

I believe that there is still much tuning that can be done to improve the larger turbo's especially the ATT and even the HX variants...only time will tell.

I wish there were a way the OBDI tunes could be locked to prevent others from stealing his work when he is done and claiming them as their own...cause we all know that is what will happen when all is said and done...Kojo helped others and Westers and Heaths tunes have all been copied or exploited in some way...

and we wonder why these past innovators are quiet on forums?

I think the 6.5 community is/has gone through the very same thing

I am glad Dripspeed is going about things the right way...doing this not knowing if he will sell 1, 2, 10, 100 or even none is what being an entrepreneur is all about in this country...RacedayMechanic did the same thing...Kudo's to you guys!

Its nice and all, but what if I said I am going to start tuning DMax's to bring that community a lot that they have been lacking? I would be pretty arrogant in my opinion. It sure doesnt say a lot about those sponsors and their knowledge and time they put into it. I collaborated with Kojo, so I know he knows a lot of the ins and outs of the programming. I dont know what the other guys know.

Its nice and all, but what if I said I am going to start tuning DMax's to bring that community a lot that they have been lacking? I would be pretty arrogant in my opinion. It sure doesnt say a lot about those sponsors and their knowledge and time they put into it. I collaborated with Kojo, so I know he knows a lot of the ins and outs of the programming. I dont know what the other guys know.

I'd say COOL :thumbsup: ...especially if you did it for free like Fermanator is with the 6.5's...

furthermore I wouldn't think it arrogant in the slightest if I knew you knew what you were doing with EFI...

knock yourself out and join in with tuning Dmax's...the more the merrier... :)

I think this brings out what the issue really is. There is really a debate between a sharing community (what these forums are all about) and making money. Of course guys who are in it just for fun are going to be attacked because they knocked out a money-making opportunity. IMHO it's about time. These trucks are getting old enough that 3-400 dollar programs are unreasonable. Therefore, the cheap guys who own them can't have any good mods. I would have paid $150 bucks a year ago for a good tune, but the for-profit guys wouldn't budge. Now the drip is going to sell cheap chips, and everyone is going to help him, because he's just trying to share with the community. If fermanator comes up with a good tune, then he could sell it for a reasonable price if he goes through the process as well. He seems to just want to contribute, which is awesome.

Back