• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY BD1 Programming - Burn your own chips!

The 5521 and 5068 use 2 differen cam and plunger arrangements. The 5068 outputs slightly more fuel, but it does it in a quite a bit different way than the 5521 does. To swap pumps you have to swap to the correct programming to match the cam and plunger arrangement in order for it to regulate the fuel delivery correctly.

That's what I thought. I guess my question is whether a tune written for a '95 would work? Do I need to get a whole EEPROM? I would think they were the same physical chip, just different tunes. I think that's essentially what you're saying, right Ferm?

In reference to vendor status.

Agreed. And I don't think a single person here desires to hurt the forum or vendors. I just think that there would possibly be guys who have no problem paying a vendor a pittance, as well as guys who'd buddy up as Orionthade is saying. It would be cool to have both options. For a twenty spot you could get same day shipping, or for community sake, you could get it for free from someone willing to help the cause. Vendor for guys who want to pay something for service (ie. same day shipping) or wait and do buddy system for free. I for one would be willing to pay 25 bucks just to keep from taking advantage of a friend.

Also, I think TheDrip should have priority on making a buck because of his getting the thing started. I suggested what he is doing on the other site a year ago and was flamed for it. The guys making money have really kept the lid on freeware clamped down tight. (Which of course is understandable, just impossible forever).

This is what I wanted when I started this thread. a sharing of ideas, more people involved. Maybe I'll build some kind of BIN repository for us.... Maybe not =)

If you won't, I would certainly be happy to throw up an FTP folder.

I'm sure the owners of the site would allow you to post your bins in a section we could create for you here on the site...just like we have an EFI live section to hold tuning files for the members, we could create a tuning file section for the OBDI and OBDII 6.5's...

on edit: I see that one of the site owners (Jeff) has already offered :)

I have purchased a APU1 burner and real time emulator for OBD1 and would be happy to burn a chip for someone with their tune. As long as the shipping is paid and the chip is paid for. Not really sure what I am doing yet so I have to get a basic knowledge of the equipment, I have a good mentor though and should be able to get on base in a short period of time.

THis

I have purchased a APU1 burner and real time emulator for OBD1 and would be happy to burn a chip for someone with their tune. As long as the shipping is paid and the chip is paid for. Not really sure what I am doing yet so I have to get a basic knowledge of the equipment, I have a good mentor though and should be able to get on base in a short period of time.

Plus this by the fermenator

[Boy, looking through this is alot different than what I am used to with EFILIVE. You can manipulate the software a bit to get the graphs and such, but it really isn't that user friendly by comparison. Looking through it though, is there a way to change it from metric units to imperial? And it looks like some of the tables are incomplete, or just haven't been scaled out far enough. If your interested I will use some of my calculators and such I have for EFILIVE and build you up a tune to try out.]

=
An experiment I'd be glad to try. I've also ordered equipment, but I need to build the skill set to burn tunes.

THis

Plus this by the fermenator

[Boy, looking through this is alot different than what I am used to with EFILIVE. You can manipulate the software a bit to get the graphs and such, but it really isn't that user friendly by comparison. Looking through it though, is there a way to change it from metric units to imperial? And it looks like some of the tables are incomplete, or just haven't been scaled out far enough. If your interested I will use some of my calculators and such I have for EFILIVE and build you up a tune to try out.]

=
An experiment I'd be glad to try. I've also ordered equipment, but I need to build the skill set to burn tunes.

I also got tuner pro RT with a registered copy. Supposed to be good with the APU1 I have someone that can read hex like a second language, and they are a programmer so hopefully I have someone to help.

Hopefully I can learn as well. I am liking what I see, but am still intimidated to try on my own. However, I'm sure I can download tunes, burn them, and try them.

Pretty much the major variances as I see them would be: turbo, gear ratio, transmission, tire size. If we could get someone with each configuration to test each configuration, we'd have good basic files to catalog. Then it would be helpful to get others to vote them up or down as to which is the best combination for each one. For me it would be h1e/h1c combo (soon to be installed), 4:10, 4l80e, and 265/17 tires. Hopefully we'll put together some great shared information.

I think seeing the difference in timing curve, and fuel between different set ups will let a lot of people choose how they use their vehicle, knowing they will be able to get a custom tune for their type of driving and equipment.

Wow have I ever stirred up a hornets nest. I'm glad so many people are interested in this, and benefiting from my searching and such. Maybe I'll be famous forever, this can be called the "Drip Method" ... Or not :reddevil:

I am so looking forward to sharing the tunes and seeing how these progress. Finally a collaborative effort. I can't wait to get my APU1, following the tracking like a kid at Christmas.

So Great White, if one were to get a good tune for OBD-II for a 6.5, say a great economy tune, could a person download the file and store it on a USB thumb drive or SDHC card and then say take it to their mechanic who happens to have a full GM Tech 2 scanner and have them upload the flash to the Tech 2 and then reflash the ECM? Because that's essentially how he updated the GM tune on my Burb, he downloaded it from GM, then used his Tech 2 to reflash my ECM. $75/hour for his labor to do that is a whole lot cheaper than the $800 cash outlay you're talking about to purchase the hardware (I'm assuming you are referring to a Tech 2) to do it yourself.

Nope.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. the formats aren't compatible.

800 bucks isn't for a Tech II. That's waaaay more expensive than 800 bucks, plus cartridges, plus subscription, plus.......

I use tuner cat II. You can't buy it anymore unless you go to moate sand buy it there at RTOBDII. But you have to buy a Road Runner emulator in order to be able to buy the software plus interface. The hardware goes in your closet and never gets used again, doesn't work with the 16216588. It's a licensing issue. You also need to buy a vdf from Westers.

Going from OBDII to OBDI has been done before, mainly for the reasons stated here. OBDI is cheaper to crack. Best off to just find a donor truck and swap over the complete harness. Beauty of this is the donor can be almost completely gutted (and thus, cheap) as long as the harness is intact (IE: uncut).

Personally, I'd just pop the money for the OBDII specific stuff and carry on.....

There are options where i could distribute "tunes" with an uploader program and interface and it's kind of a one time use thing.

It's used by shops and available to me. It would involve mailing out the interface and uploader software, teh customer uploads the program and then returns the interface.

However, I'm not a dealer and have no intention of becoming one.

I tune for myself and offer advice to others. That about the extent of my involvement.

Anything more would violate forum rules and I have no intention of doing that....

Well I haven't decided if I want to become a vendor and produce/sell anything yet, but I do have a couple quotes out on having PCBs made. Trying to figure out exactly what my cost would be, estimate the market size, and what I'd need to charge to at least break even on the whole deal. Expect a decision by the end of the week. :)

Well I haven't decided if I want to become a vendor and produce/sell anything yet, but I do have a couple quotes out on having PCBs made. Trying to figure out exactly what my cost would be, estimate the market size, and what I'd need to charge to at least break even on the whole deal. Expect a decision by the end of the week. :)

We certainly appreciate what you are trying to do more than you may know but one personal word of caution just from me to you. Make sure it's what YOU want to do. Not because somebody else wants you to because that's secondary.
Good luck!
Mike

We certainly appreciate what you are trying to do more than you may know but one personal word of caution just from me to you. Make sure it's what YOU want to do. Not because somebody else wants you to because that's secondary.
Good luck!
Mike

X2

I haven't forgotten yeah. Looking over your last tune, I see a few areas I would change. First off though, what exactly does your truck have? And what do you want from it? There isn't a whole lot you can do to the tuning in these other than to change timing, and when it will fuel. The trans tables are a bit confusing in it until you figure out how they were written and what they truly mean. Seams fairly basic as far as the tuning goes, but the tuner pro interface isn't the most people friendly out there by a long shot.

Mostly, I just wanted to do it, to do it. I can't leave any vehicle I own stock, and I always try to find the lowest cost way to achieve that. Burning my own chip seemed like a doable good start. I dabbled back when I dealt with TBI 4.3s, many years ago.

As far as the truck, its a 95 f-code, automatic. 4.10 rear end. dually truck, but I haven't towed with it yet. I've just wanted one since I was a kid.

My goals? Keep changing things. I have no idea what I actually want out of the truck, and it seems to me that 100% stock it did everything I asked of it. I'm just sick and can't leave anything alone.

Mostly, I just wanted to do it, to do it. I can't leave any vehicle I own stock, and I always try to find the lowest cost way to achieve that. Burning my own chip seemed like a doable good start. I dabbled back when I dealt with TBI 4.3s, many years ago.

As far as the truck, its a 95 f-code, automatic. 4.10 rear end. dually truck, but I haven't towed with it yet. I've just wanted one since I was a kid.

My goals? Keep changing things. I have no idea what I actually want out of the truck, and it seems to me that 100% stock it did everything I asked of it. I'm just sick and can't leave anything alone.

So yours is completely stock right down to the air filter and exhaust? If so I wouldn't be adding ANY more fuel to it. The 6.5 was pushing the limits of teh stock air filter and exhaust with stock tuning, let alone anything added to it. I was looking through your last tune, and I can see why it was running so hot. You were maxing your fuel out and calling for more boost than the system can even measure so it was like tieing the wastegate closed and probably hitting 15-18 pounds of boost. Let me know exactly what your truck has and I will tweak the tune some to what I THINK will work, and then it can be fine tuned from there. Also I need to go back and refresh myself on the physical limitations of what the DS4 can do as far as max fueling and timing goes.

I've got a similar setup, except mine has k47 intake, 4 inch exhaust, cooling mods, arp head studs, and is the 2500. I'm soon going to put a h1c/h1e combination turbo on it as well.

Back