• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Differential cover, gasket or RTV silicone?

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
I got a new differential cover for my rear end. It came with a new gasket. Ive never used a gasket there before. Am I safe to just use the gasket alone or use the gasket with RTV? Should I just use RTV alone?

Thanks

I have always used grey RTV. Be careful to make sure and use RTV as regular silicone will break down with gear oil. Also a lot of the black RTV will not hold up to gear oil.

I've never gotten a gasket that fits properly before. I always just use RTV

Fixed it for you. RTV will always work. Most of the time I can't get a diff gasket that is the proper one. One of the few parts my parts store hasn't figured out.

I have used both with equal success, but i usually just use rtv.

If going that route, make sure your bolt holes in the cover aren't "dimpled". I put my covers on a flat anvil and then gently hammer them flat before reinstalling.

I'll usually blast and paint the exterior too, but thats optional depending on condition of your cover. I use engine enamel and bake it hard.

:)

Back