• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diagnosing dual tank balance module

I was replying to the above
THEFERMANATOR
post about what controls the secondary pump since that was the discussion. Sorry
Not a problem. I was only suggesting starting a new thread as this one was last posted to in 2019.
A new thread with a new member signed up always gets a lot more attention than an old thread.
Didnt mean any harm in any way.

Does the PCM also control the secondary pump in a 2003 8.1L Gas C4500? I can't find the module
Yes, it is a completely different system than the balance module system. Both tank level units go to the PCM, it converts each tanks reading into 1 total reading and sends that signal out to the fuel gauge, it also controls the transfer pump operation.

I know this is an old thread, but has been super helpful. I have a 1997 K3500 7.4L dually, only has 64k original miles :)

The fuel gauge/transfer tank has been an issue. The first post by Matt was exactly what I needed.

I've done all the checks, but when the balance module turns the transfer tank pump on the fuse blows (when I ground out the solenoid to turn the pump on....). If I remove the transfer pump out of the circuit and put my volt meeting on the plug I get a constant 12.5-13V. This tells me something with the transfer pump is bad, is this correct?

Front tank level reads ~96 ohms when full
Rear tank level reads ~125 ohms when full - Hasn't been emptied in a while.....

Back