• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DB2 Conversion questions

HighSierra86

Reaction score
Hi guys, a few weeks ago I had posted about my DS4 on the way out. Well it finally bit the dust to the point of not being able to drive it. Following some much needed peer pressure from the responses, I am going the DB2 conversion route.

I have started ordering all the parts needed for the job including a rebuilt 4911 pump which I'll be picking up today.

Here is my question, in regards to the throttle bracket and the coolant crossover pipe...I currently have the '96 dual T-stat set up and am looking to find the '96 single to simplify the throttle bracket installation if possible.

If my research is correct, the '96 single t-stat housing part number should be 12551519 and the small outlet pipe would be 12554527. Can someone verify that these numbers are correct?

Still trying to source some of the smaller items, seems the price and availability is all over the board with so many items discontinued from GM.

I will be starting a new thread covering the conversion soon.

Thank you,
Nick

23500374 is the desired single stat crossover that has the block off style thermostat.

I don't recognize the numbers you have there. Do you have pics of those ones?

I believe Leroy used his dual stat crossover and just turned the output the other way to clear the linkage.

23500374 is the desired single stat crossover that has the block off style thermostat.

I don't recognize the numbers you have there. Do you have pics of those ones?

I believe Leroy used his dual stat crossover and just turned the output the other way to clear the linkage.

23500374 was the single stat crossover used on 6.5 trucks up until '95.

To the best of my knowledge the early '96 trucks had a 1/2 year exclusive design that was near identical to the dual housing, just less one thermostat. Thus giving me more room for the throttle bracket on the DB2 and allowing the use on the A/C compressor in the factory location (driver's side).

I know they exist but I don't have a picture of one. I believe the number to be 12551519

-Nick

23500374 was the single stat crossover used on 6.5 trucks up until '95.

To the best of my knowledge the early '96 trucks had a 1/2 year exclusive design that was near identical to the dual housing, just less one thermostat. Thus giving me more room for the throttle bracket on the DB2 and allowing the use on the A/C compressor in the factory location (driver's side).

I know they exist but I don't have a picture of one. I believe the number to be 12551519

-Nick
i believe i have one on my 96. it's a single stat. i can take a pic if interested.

i believe i have one on my 96. it's a single stat. i can take a pic if interested.

That would be awesome thank you! Most of the crossovers I have seen, have a raised part number on them somewhere. Not sure if they are in a camera accessible location or not however...

Thank you!
Nick

Why not use the more common older single stat?

I believe the older ones would interfere with the AC compressor.

I have a single stat for a 96 that is removed so if deejaaa can't get an angle on the P/N I will try to remember to look at it this evening

Correct. The earlier 6.5 style (and 6.2) would place the upper hose outlet right where the a/c compressor is mounted on the '96+ trucks.

-Nick

here's what i got:
2a92uf9.jpg

2wdoivm.jpg

Thank you deejaa!!

Exactly what I was looking for! and that verifies the part number too.

Hard to tell how much room I would actually gain for the throttle bracket. Seems to me the upper hose outlet would be the limiting factor on both the single and dual housings. I'm still going to try and source one for the project anyways, and use whichever one works the best.

coolant crossover.JPG

This is the current dual set up.

Thanks for the help guys, ill post my results with the clearances on both these options in my build thread for the conversion.

-Nick

As stated, 95 and older housing will hit the compressor on a 96+ truck. Yes, the 96 single housing uses the same stat as a 95 WITH a functional blocker on it. GM could have EASILY added the blocker to the 97+ dual stat unit because if you look, the bypass is directly in front of 1 stat, right under where the stat opens. There thinking was the HO pump flowed enough extra coolant that the bypass was no longer a concern. Good luck finding a 96 single stat setup, I've only ever seen pictures of them. Years back they were getting tossed by guys going to the dual stat setup. It wasn't until the HEATH article came out that people started keeping them, and then GM ran out of stock in NO TIME from people wanting to go to the single stat setup on a 96+.

Yup, took me a minute to get mine. Seriously was going to just build one with king nipples, hoses and a remote stat housing.

I saw the value from road comparisons in the fleet, what is the Heath article? Anyone have a link or copy of it?

Only one I knew of was the one from the old PR engineer that used to do sema where he put out the info about needing dual stat with the spin on pump, or the world would explode. haha.

@HighSierra86 where is the thread that influenced the DB2 decision? I wanna go wreck it. :)

I personally have not had the best run with DB2s, and apparently have had fantastic luck with DS4s, because while I would still buy a 92-93, I wont actively seek one out, nor would I swap a DS4 truck to one. my favorite rigs are the 95 NV4500 DS4 trucks.

As stated, 95 and older housing will hit the compressor on a 96+ truck. Yes, the 96 single housing uses the same stat as a 95 WITH a functional blocker on it. GM could have EASILY added the blocker to the 97+ dual stat unit because if you look, the bypass is directly in front of 1 stat, right under where the stat opens. There thinking was the HO pump flowed enough extra coolant that the bypass was no longer a concern. Good luck finding a 96 single stat setup, I've only ever seen pictures of them. Years back they were getting tossed by guys going to the dual stat setup. It wasn't until the HEATH article came out that people started keeping them, and then GM ran out of stock in NO TIME from people wanting to go to the single stat setup on a 96+.

Since starting this post I was able to find quite a few pictures of modified brackets over on the other place. Seemed the best place to look was those "upgrading" to a dual thermostat housing with the factory '93 DB2.

I have since decided to keep my dual stat housing for a couple of reasons. One of the main reasons, as mentioned above, is the availability of the '96 single housing. I didn't have much luck finding one, and I don't have a ton of time as the truck is now torn apart in my shop. The other thought was "don't fix what isn't broke". I've never had any overheating issues with this truck. Its loaded every day, and tows heavy when needed. Just going to freshen it up with a new water pump and thermostats while I'm in here.

That isnt going to stop me from looking for the '96 single housing however. Then I can have one on the shelf to keep the other 6.5 parts company.

@HighSierra86 where is the thread that influenced the DB2 decision? I wanna go wreck it. :)

I personally have not had the best run with DB2s, and apparently have had fantastic luck with DS4s, because while I would still buy a 92-93, I wont actively seek one out, nor would I swap a DS4 truck to one. my favorite rigs are the 95 NV4500 DS4 trucks.

I manage a fleet for a nursery/landscaping company, along with maintaining all the equipment on our family farm. One thing I can tell you is the more new trucks we buy, the more I appreciate the old trucks. Electronics and emissions are without question the largest and most common causes of breakdowns. And usually, these problems can only be fixed by the dealer with thousands of dollars in diagnostic software and training. The second oldest truck of the nursery fleet is a '89 6.2. Probably the most reliable of the fleet.

Now back to my 6.5, I know it is a lot less involved than the newer trucks in regards to emissions and electronics. But given the option to do away with more electronics, Ill take it. I've had 4 other DS4 trucks, most just gave me PMD issues, but another drove me nuts with never ending trouble codes and more electronic issues than I care to think about. Long story short, I'm going for reliability and longevity as I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck. The DB2 fits that bill in my opinion. If I had an automatic I would probably just continue replacing DS4's for the life of the truck.

I'm surprised loving the simplicity of the 2wd manual trucks you wouldn't be jumping on the DB2 bandwagon!

-Nick

@GM Guy I cant get anything from the link. I dont have acess to the link, maybe because I dont have a paid level membership there?

Also I am on, if not the leader of the db2 fan club list.

Through the fleet they last more miles, both with and without added lube in the fuel, even more so with the hardened parts.

No pmd

Fuel can be cut back and achieve higher misting through more pop pressure and less volume achieving highest mpg.

The only reason the DS4 was invented was to satisfy EPA regulation of how much fuel is called for and how much is actually delivered, and that it be accessible through the OBD two port. While this was an attempt to curb in missions, DB pumps pass emissions test better with equal mileage. All government agencies are not subject to emmision or dot laws. Guess which pump the largest 6.2/6.5 customer mandated.

Most amount of fuel can be supplied for the highest power gains. Even using multiple pumps which afaik never yet accomplished with ds pumps.

No pmd

Cheaper to buy, and build, especially when adding in the supporting electronics required like the go pedal system, ecm,pmd (omg I h8 pmds from almost killing a mom and her kid at a stop light one day from a bad pmd).

Seriously, no electronics required. The fact that you are a manual transmission guy and like electronic dependant engines is not common. Zombie day requires db2 and a manual trans. Haha.

There are some advantages to ds, the main one being WMI control. The other being the obd2 code searching, even though most of the problems can not exist on a db2 engine. In my obviously not humble on this point opinion, db pumps win hands down.

@HighSierra86 would pics of my "rare 96" crossover help?

Back