• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins conversion begins

Doing lots of odds and ends. got the dodge input shaft in the gm nv4500 waiting on pump work and hopefully droping new motor i by wensday

update- everything is waiting on pump work to arrive today. installing pump work tonight then lifting cummins installing the new clutch and setting her in the frame.i'll be working on it all night every night after work till its done. my goal is to have it up and running by this weekend i have a feeling there is gonna be a couple all nighters goin on. ill post pics and video of finished product

update- got the govenor kit and pump work done clutch on and attempted to put it in. message the fire wall my a## the term murder is more correct. next time ill do the bory lift

Well finished the fitment of the fire wall. the ol 12 valve is resting on the motor mounts in betweent the frame rails of the chevy. i have my t-bars cranked up from before and it hardly move under the weight ot the cummins. tried to fit that nv4500 pig up but unfortintely i am out of engery and cant wrestle thatthing in tonight so tomorrow is another day and more swaping madness

Got the tranny in today. then went to put the t-case in and found i put the trans crossmember in backwards.my help left for the day so thats for tomorrow. started to tackle the little eletrical there is almost done with that now all thats let is some small plumming and intercooler and fire it up

will do i can't wait either. right now we are fighting with the t-case. can't wiggle it into place. hits the torsion bar x-member. my t-bars are siezed in so right now we are lifting the cab some for extra celerance

Did you take out the 3/4 round bar above the cross member???? it can be a real PITA to do with that still in there.

anyways the t-case is in so now the complete drivetrain is in. YES!! its been a real bear so far but its worth it. im doing this swap at home in my 2 car garage, with hand tools and a sawzall. just the little things left now pluming and eletrical. most will get tackeled tomorrow i cant wait

Most redrill the holes for the torsion crossmember and slide it back an inch to an inch and a half to get extra clearance between the T-case and the crossmember. I know mine is TIGHT with the ALLISON and 261 T-case as it is longer from the mounting flange to the portion that sits next to the crossmember. Also you can get the crossmember out of a newer 01+ style truck and swap it in as it has a nice drop in it to clear the T-case.

Can't wait to see some pictures and or a video of this bad boy up and running! Congrats on what sounds like a helleva Cummins swap!

thanks guys. i have complete drive train in with no celerance issues. now i just need custom drive shafts. the back is bout a inch too long and the front a inch too short. it sucks cuz budget is pretty spent right now.

started the cummins in the truck for the first time. what a relif that is no leaks everything works. now its just bleeding out coolant and power steering. and a few small other things completion is near

started the cummins in the truck for the first time. what a relif that is no leaks everything works. now its just bleeding out coolant and power steering. and a few small other things completion is near

Outstanding!!! :thumbsup:

Back