• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins conversion begins

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
Just purchased 1994 12 valve p-pump. It is a 6 speed manual, yup got granny gear. it has 371,000 on motor, 7500 on tranny and turbo. i plan on goin through cummins and freshin it up. stole the complete truck for 1,000 dollars:thumbsup: this is going into the truck in my sig. gathering parts now, starting project when snow is gone. hope everyting goes smooth. automatic to manual swap. the p-pump is going to get upgraded, new springs, devivery valves and other goodies. got new south bend clutch coming to put the power down. plan on 60pound valve springs, fuel plate, doing the kdp and havin fun. ill keep everyone updated startin soon as all this dam snow goes. no heat makes for bad work

Holy smoking deal! Sounds like a good start. What was a '94 doing with 6-speed, the 6-speed didn't come out until '98?

Another question how hard is it to convert a nv4500 2wd to 4wd? what parts do i need and can i use my exsiting transfer case. or do i do a divorced transfer case set up?

I take it it is a dodge NV4500? There are probably adapter plates for that t-case, if not, I am sure that there is an adapter to put the cummins and a chevy NV4500 together, then you can use your existing t-case.

If you want, a 6.5L 5spd 4wd shouldnt be too hard to find to junk..or put your cummins in. They are getting pretty decently priced on Craigslist.

but to solve your original question, I believe it is a tailshaft housing swap for sure, and IIRC, a mainshaft swap as well. never done it, just heard of it. If you want to keep the dodge version, go to quad4x4.com there, you can get their mainshaft kit that prevents 5th gear nut issues. And I bet you can get the 2wd version, and possibly getting away with only additionally buying a 2wd tailshaft housing.

good luck!

IIRC the output shafts on all nv4500's are the same the only diff is the output case wether it's 2wd or 4wd. OF course the cases are diff between dodge and GM though. I think you can bolt a GM 4x4 output case to the dodge one and be just fine to bolt up the transfer case.

Chevy transfer case's are clocked wrong for the dodge adapter,also the input shaft on the chevy t case is way smaller, I have a brand new cast iron dodge nv4500 rear housing for 4x4, I might sell it for the right price,you will also need a dodge main shaft and a dodge t case with 29 spline input,or mix and match t cases like I did, I used a dodge automatic t case and put the big 29 spline input shaft in it,and used the chevy back half for the speedometor.

Ok Sorry to send this the wrong way I knew the inputs were different but thought the rest was the same except the adapters.

GM NV4500's were 32 spline output shafts whereas the DODGE could be 23 or 29 spline depending upon year and model. The GM and DODGE cases are clocked 90 degrees out from each other so that you can't directly swap them for each other, but ADVANCE ADAPTERS does make a clocking ring that you can install that would probably get you close enough to work. Easiest thing is to find a GM NV4500 and T-case and swap in the DODGE input shaft to it. Then you can retain all of your current hook-ups for front diff and speedo, yet still retain the DODGE bellhousing and clutch.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
heres an update me and my buddy trigger started rippin apart the cummins today finally. preparing for the swap. here are some pics to intice you.

i think the turbo is junk, as you can see in the pics above. the impeller was rubbin on the housing. also got two questions. how do i use the dodge and gm hydro boost i have seen swap pics with both still in place? for the intake pre heater how is that regulated to stay on? is it a timer or a relay?

Update- motor and trans in now out. seprated trans and started to tear down motor to check condition, due to miliage i though was on it. got inside and it turns out the motor is a fresh rebuild! it has new valve springs, valves, head had a valve job, pistons, liners and all bearings are new. there can''t be more than 100k on the rebuild. no carbon ridge build up. cross hatching is very visible on cylinder walls. turbo is no good the impeller on the cold side ate into the housing. so new and bigger turbo is on its way. new injectors are going in too. the spray patterns are all messed up due to carbon. took care of the kdp it was starting to come out. getting gaskets to put it back tougher friday. mounts, alt bracket, gaskets, reman trans, and turbo are on there way too. getting a reman gm nv4500 and putting in a dodge input shaft, that way i can retain my t case. going with pump upgrades, hx40 hybrid turbo, and 75hp injectors. should be one pissed off streetable cummins. got a southbend clutch comming too good for 475 horse and 1000flbs of torque. hopefully in two to three weeks the 6.5 will be cummin out.

i think the turbo is junk, as you can see in the pics above. the impeller was rubbin on the housing. also got two questions. how do i use the dodge and gm hydro boost i have seen swap pics with both still in place? for the intake pre heater how is that regulated to stay on? is it a timer or a relay?

I would think you could leave the PS and hydroboost alone on the GM. All it needs is a pump. Use the GM pump or the Dodge pump: if Dodge is compatible for hoses and pressure.

yea i spoke before i looked.this engine has the vacuum and power steering setup. so block off the vacuum port and just hook up to pump. the gm pump only has 2 ports, supply and return. so does the dodge ill just hook up like that

up date- cummins is all together sitting on the stand waiting to go in. the 65 is out pulled it today. now just getting all the small stuff done for the cummins to go in

Back