• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins conversion begins

Just buttoning thing up right now. making a down pipe, wiring the intake heater grid, making a clutch line, throw the hood and grill back on and get driveshafts made. its real close i can't wait to drive the beast!
I do have to get intercooler clamps the old ones rusted out i can only find boot kits not just the clamps

there is some in the begining but the computer at home went down and i have been keeping up with the one at work. so uploading pics at work i can't it will have to wait till i get my computer bacl. i have lots and lots of pictures been doucmenting the whole process

I was wondering if anyone knew if i could run he intake preheatergrid off the6.5 glow plug solinoid? or is that timer too long?

and i figured out my eletrical problem i neglected a battery to sheet metal ground man did i feel dumb when i figured that out.

waiting on drive shaft, clutch line and inter cooler clamps, then reinstall hood and bumper and ill be driving the new beat!

inter cooler clamps are on and making boost custom drive shaft arrived everything is together and buttoned up. The truck was almost complete till i reliazed i made a big mistake. i installed the clutch fork 180degrese off so i pulled the t case and tranny back out took the bell housing off and spun the clutch fork. reassembling it today after work. and very possible its going on its madien voyage tonight. i can't wait to un leash this beast!!

Took the rig for its maiden voyage and wow!. i built a beast crusing in 3rd i punched it got 35 psi of boost and spun the rear tires! i love this thing

when the bugs are worked out. i will trust me i set out to build a 400hp truck and i think i did and then some i can't wait to dyno it

I was wondering if anyone knew if i could run he intake preheatergrid off the6.5 glow plug solinoid? or is that timer too long?

!

Just get rid of it. Most of the Dodge guys take them out to increase airflow. The Cummins will start fine without it. Just make sure you have a block heater for real cold climates. Did you do the KDP mod ? Be a shame to see that motor blow apart over a 30$ kit.

So more details. A bodylift would have made things nicer ? Hows the clearance to the rad ? What did you do for a fan ? The motor mounts, were they modified or made for the swap ? Details. When my 6.5 pukes in my Dually a 6bt is goin in for sure except I'm gonna find a 24v and P pump it.

no body lift it didn't require lots of fire wall pounding but it did some. i don't like the look of a body lift either and with hydra boost its harder. rad celarance is close i had to notch the rad support and bend fan back for clearance. its the stock fan on the motor. motor mounts from auto world made everything so easy. the motor slipped into place no clearace issuse it fit perfect with those mounts. auto world has lots of info for the swaps. i ran the gm alternator with adpeter brackes from auto world too. to keep factory tach.

Its holding up well. the cummins is dependable and strong running lots of power to haul anything. i worked out the clutch hydrolic bugs. the only complaint i have is the nv4500 i toasted 3rd gear syncro. when i get the time id like to swap a medium duty 5 speed in. i work the truck every day it earns it keep, it has some rust i need to adress and i have to decide if i want to patch the crack in the frame or find a donor truck. i cracked the frame hauling a large tractor. after winter there may just be another swap into a long bed or dually. its proving difficult to find a truck perfect for my re swap

Back