• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Converting to the DB2 as the DS4 just plain SUX...

Yep, I'm making the switch to the military single stat found most of the parts already, just have to hit up Leroy for the TC.

On another note: Suffering in later years from many accumulated injuries get's tough however IMO pain med's are a patch best avoided if you want a better quality of life. I'm constantly getting relatives and close friends to get rid of or reduce their dependency on pharmaceuticals period..natural/organic is hands down the best way to go but costly too.

"Military single stat"?? Pics? Make sure it uses the block off style t-stat. There are several single stats the military rigs used, most are not what you want.

The 1996 thermostat housing is a direct bolt-in for the double housing....it uses the same hose and uses a block off style stat. The only problem is that since it's a one-year-only part it's harder to come by. Got any junkyards around you with a nice selection of 6.5s? I was lucky to find one at the junkyard by me and it was only $20.

"Military single stat"?? Pics? Make sure it uses the block off style t-stat. There are several single stats the military rigs used, most are not what you want.
No bypass block off on the HMMWV unit so is it safe to totally block off the bypass and use a drilled high flow thermostat, or?

A big part of the balanced "flow" pump working is the thermostat causing the coolant to circulate more evenly through block and heads when thermostat is closed or partially closed. Once the stat is open its just pumping as much as possible through the radiator. But while its doing that the colder coolant is back into the block again and causes tsat to partially close, requiring the water that is not to temperature to be sent back through the block. Thats why that second plunger on the tstat is so important. Then when the coolant is hot it needs to quit bypassing and go all to radiator. Most the "military", my hummer included, Single stat crossovers Dont do that.

Theoretically, if your ambient temp is low enough you could just flow coolant non stop and shed heat faster than the engine produces. Ive done it with other rides, no stat at all and it never got hot- but not a 6.5. They need to be 165ish to run worth a dang. The more stable the heat, the more efficiently it will run.

I have the single crossover and used the drilled stat on my bolt on HO pump. No bueno. If temps would stay below 90 and above 20% humidity I would bever overheat with my hood scoop mod (actually developed in nasa's, california wind tunnel) - I basically end up very similar to gmt400- in other words sucky under radiator-ed.

A big part of the balanced "flow" pump working is the thermostat causing the coolant to circulate more evenly through block and heads when thermostat is closed or partially closed. Once the stat is open its just pumping as much as possible through the radiator. But while its doing that the colder coolant is back into the block again and causes tsat to partially close, requiring the water that is not to temperature to be sent back through the block. Thats why that second plunger on the tstat is so important. Then when the coolant is hot it needs to quit bypassing and go all to radiator. Most the "military", my hummer included, Single stat crossovers Dont do that.

Theoretically, if your ambient temp is low enough you could just flow coolant non stop and shed heat faster than the engine produces. Ive done it with other rides, no stat at all and it never got hot- but not a 6.5. They need to be 165ish to run worth a dang. The more stable the heat, the more efficiently it will run.

I have the single crossover and used the drilled stat on my bolt on HO pump. No bueno. If temps would stay below 90 and above 20% humidity I would bever overheat with my hood scoop mod (actually developed in nasa's, california wind tunnel) - I basically end up very similar to gmt400- in other words sucky under radiator-ed.
Will L., is the military cooling system better, or?

Wish you well with your medical issues, keep that brilliant mechanical mind distracted and the pain will not take a front seat so often in your future IMO, it works for me.
I was doing ok until I got hit with chronic pain syndrome and fibromyalgia. Now I just start screaming out of nowhere with no explanation as to why I hurt there. They say it's chronic pain syndrome from ignoring/distracting myself from it for so long. Now my brain just says I hurt even when I havent done anything, and meds barely do anything because its nuerological. Fun fun fun. I tell people its the gift that keeps on giving.

For clearing a db2, I would look for a 95- housing, then just swap upper hoses. Not sure if it would clear the ac compressor though since gm relocated the compressor when they changed housings. And whole point of the balanced flow system is having a stat that blicks the bypass. This allows for more coolant flow through the boock during colder engine operation bynot havi,g to restrict the bypass, but when things warm up you get all the flow directed back through the radiator with none bypassed.

Will L., is the military cooling system better, or?

NO! Not at all. That is why they still take out perfectly good engines. They cant control the heat so they cycle them out without reason. I just wish they would cycle out some p400s for us all to but for $1,500!

If GEP would have stayed the corse with the spin on waterpump and a fan with 20% more cfm, the p400 never would have been needed.

The only thing hmmwvs do better than pickups in the cooling system is the 100% lockup fan that gets shut off for water fording. Btw know why putting a rig under water is called fording?- cuz thats where a ford belongs- bottom of the river- muahahaha! So if SOMEONE were to create a fanclutch like that for us (Leroy) I can not imagine anything doing better. Unless it is with a bigger btuh radiator.

I don't currently have a truck to test on so that slows it up a bit. What's your project timeline?

Sent from Tapatalk
Slow best describes my timeline as I seem to be waiting for parts and replacement tools lost to the flood here.

Still cleaning up the Burb and have the interior out so I can flush and sanitize it too. Probably have to change out the rear brakes, hardware and backing plates too.

I was doing ok until I got hit with chronic pain syndrome and fibromyalgia. Now I just start screaming out of nowhere with no explanation as to why I hurt there. They say it's chronic pain syndrome from ignoring/distracting myself from it for so long. Now my brain just says I hurt even when I havent done anything, and meds barely do anything because its nuerological. Fun fun fun. I tell people its the gift that keeps on giving.

I've had both of those ailments since just after the 1st Gulf War 'chronic pain syndrome is the name they give it when they don't fully understand what's going on while your the one suffering.'

It is and will continue to be a fight however best dealt with by keep that mind busy as too distract from the PAIN, good luck with that.

Back