• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold Air Intake

Yeah...I used a dremel around the light after I saw how the stock tube worked....now after looking at my Jetta, I might come up with something better...

Yeah...I used a dremel around the light after I saw how the stock tube worked....now after looking at my Jetta, I might come up with something better...

I love new ideas - looking forward to reading what 'yer thinkin'.

In case we're not able to keep the link to Chris's pics, here's another. Hopefully we can keep Chris's pics, though - mine is of quite poor quality - I'm not sure what happened to my better ones.

picture.php

I love new ideas - looking forward to reading what 'yer thinkin'.

In case we're not able to keep the link to Chris's pics, here's another. Hopefully we can keep Chris's pics, though - mine is of quite poor quality - I'm not sure what happened to my better ones.

picture.php

I saw what Chris did to his signal lights. For me, I'd be pretty hesitant to chew up my signal lights like that. I'd much rather just put working fender vents in if I needed them. Yes, I'd have to chew a big hole in the fender, but at least it would look custom.

No offense, just my personal preferences.

-Rob :)

This site hasn't even been open for a year, yet.??? Or do you mean to say that the mod/member you are talking about used to (or maybe still does) belong to The Page?

I'm curious - why the push to point out someone here did things? I certainly wasn't trying to say I invented the idea. I did it about 2 or 3 years ago and wasn't aware of anyone trimming the plastic at that time, but I doubt I was the first one to do it. If my post came across differently, I apologize - it certainly wasn't meant that way. I only wanted to offer the OP some more info that might help him.

Sorry, Dennis ... my exuberance got away on me. I wasn't trying to 'push' anything, and wasn't aware you had done the dremel thing; it wasn't obvious from your earlier post, or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

As for the screen mesh, it was one of our 6.5 mods that did that, nvmtnlion. He mentioned it just the other day, here. Post 12. That's why I remembered it so fast (I'm old; usually it's a bit more hit-and-miss than that)

Chrisk1500,
Did you notice any difference with the mod? Under normal everyday driving or racing?

Todd

I saw what Chris did to his signal lights. For me, I'd be pretty hesitant to chew up my signal lights like that. I'd much rather just put working fender vents in if I needed them. Yes, I'd have to chew a big hole in the fender, but at least it would look custom.

No offense, just my personal preferences.

No offense takin' at all! Each of us has our own opinions. I will say that if you're able to look closely at mine (it's tough because the pic is so small) you'll see it actually is trimmed out pretty smooth. Chris, did you use your teeth to trim yours? J/K :rolleyes5:

The only downside that I can see from doing the mesh screen thing is that you'd have to do it twice to make the other side match. But, you could match the screen to the color of your grille - that would look pretty cool. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I have a snap-on grille cover that is perforated - they would match up real nice with each other. Hmmmm.... Mental note - possible project for a rainy day.

Sorry, Dennis ... my exuberance got away on me. I wasn't trying to 'push' anything, and wasn't aware you had done the dremel thing; it wasn't obvious from your earlier post, or I wouldn't have mentioned it.

As for the screen mesh, it was one of our 6.5 mods that did that, nvmtnlion. He mentioned it just the other day, here. Post 12. That's why I remembered it so fast (I'm old; usually it's a bit more hit-and-miss than that)

No worries. When we only communicate via the written word, things can get lost in translation and the true meaning of a post ends up being misread. Or, someone doesn't write clearly enough to fully explain his/her thoughts. I'm at much at fault of both of those as anyone else (or more sometimes). :smile5: I try to re-read what I've written from another person's point of view, but it's hard, you know? I know what I meant, but it's not always going to be clear to someone else when all we've got is words.

The guy I was referring to on The Page (not "Place") was HowieE - is nvmtnlion the same guy, just reincarnated?

Didn't have the scanner before hand to check IATs....

Too many changes between my 17 second run and my 16 second run to pinpoint exact increases....

Pics I posted were of rough cuts to give folks the general idea....obviously it has been taken back off and cleaned up

:rolleyes5:

Knowing all the other things you've done - and how nice they've turned out, I figured you'd have taken care of that - I just couldn't resist the jab! :smile5:

GMTDScantech....found on ENGH website.

Decent tool for the price...only works on OBD I 6.5 diesel equipped vehicles....

I have the Engh USB cable and bought the GMTDScan software. I love it, its awesome.

The cable is good, although there is a switch on it, that broke on mine, but it does nothing in the 6.5 anyway.

But its only good for 94 and 95 OBDIs

No, I am not HowieE :smile5: I was over there oh so long ago, same name.

I ordered a new digital camera from buy.com yesterday to replace my old venerable 3.2 MP Canon which doesn't want to turn on anymore. RIP.

Thanks. Although I suppose would have been more accurate if I would have said it was similar to a boat's stern wake when going in reverse. The stern of a boat looks a lot more like the front of our trucks than the bow does! Ever see a boat going reverse? It's anything but pretty! :)

Dennis you probably could do same thing with a fan or high speed blower ie leaf blower, sort of what they do in a wind tunnel test, put pennants on whatever surface you want to watch the flow over and look for the dead flow zones

This doesn't make sense. The factory filter box is thermally insulated from the engine bay, and draws cold air from the fender. Therefore, it IS a "cold-air intake". Putting in a better filter, such as the Amsoil unit, will help increase the airflow while maintaining decent air filtration.

That's why so many of the gang are telling you to stay with what you have. What is it you are looking for?

I would not go there TT, certainly not insulated too well, I've been playing with some data gathering on ambient temps seen at air box, I have a indoor outdoor thermo unit with wireless outdoor transmitter, that I located in my air box, depending on ambienet conditions I'm finding that in the botttom of a round air box temps run 10-20 degrees hotter than outside air, which means the air box itself is picking up more heat than I thought possible from the engine.

And when I shut the truck off, heat soak underhood in airbox is over 130+ as that is when temp is so high the remote unit is out of sensing range, and I get a flashing temp display.

I would not go there TT, certainly not insulated too well, I've been playing with some data gathering on ambient temps seen at air box, I have a indoor outdoor thermo unit with wireless outdoor transmitter, that I located in my air box, depending on ambienet conditions I'm finding that in the botttom of a round air box temps run 10-20 degrees hotter than outside air, which means the air box itself is picking up more heat than I thought possible from the engine.

And when I shut the truck off, heat soak underhood in airbox is over 130+ as that is when temp is so high the remote unit is out of sensing range, and I get a flashing temp display.

Tim -

I always admire when someone answers a question with hard facts and actual measured data.

I wonder whether putting insulation around the box would make much difference?

Perhaps I am reacting to the so-called CAI units, where they seem completely inadequate to me, at least in terms of thermal protection from engine compartment heat. Many of them seem worse than stock.

From what I understand, the actual size of the stock unit (esp. if you use a high-flow unit like Amsoil) is actually quite adequate for the max CFM draw, so if the thermal transfer problem could be solved, it would be fine to stay with what we have (with a little improvement).

Hmmm. I'll have to walk the hardware store aisles to see what can be used. Need to get a remote thermometer as well.. Hmmm.

Tim -

I always admire when someone answers a question with hard facts and actual measured data.

I wonder whether putting insulation around the box would make much difference?

Perhaps I am reacting to the so-called CAI units, where they seem completely inadequate to me, at least in terms of thermal protection from engine compartment heat. Many of them seem worse than stock.

From what I understand, the actual size of the stock unit (esp. if you use a high-flow unit like Amsoil) is actually quite adequate for the max CFM draw, so if the thermal transfer problem could be solved, it would be fine to stay with what we have (with a little improvement).

Hmmm. I'll have to walk the hardware store aisles to see what can be used. Need to get a remote thermometer as well.. Hmmm.

I wonder if a square cooler could be modded to work.

6.5 Turbo Diesel 'Powered By Igloo'

LOL

I'm with you on that one.

You now that your a redneck when you have "Powered by Igloo" on the side of your truck

Dennis you probably could do same thing with a fan or high speed blower ie leaf blower, sort of what they do in a wind tunnel test, put pennants on whatever surface you want to watch the flow over and look for the dead flow zones

With the leaf blower, I would imagine it would probably be too difficult to simulate a real world situation - narrow stream of air, 120mph wind, etc. But a large fan (I doubt a typical box/window fan would work) could very well do the trick, assuming the wind speed would be approximate. You'd have to set up at the appropriate height off the ground and of course arrange it so the wind hits the corner of the truck. But that's a good idea - I never thought of doing that. It would take longer to set-up, but it would certainly be easier once you started gathering info. Plus, you don't need a helper. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Back