• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold Air Intake

trapp2012

Banned
Reaction score
Need to buy a cold air intake for my 2000 K3500 LS 6.5 diesel. I don't know what to buy for it. I want to know what brand and where to buy it. Anything will help.

You probably already have the best intake available IMO. Leo
Edit: I lied, the K&N is the best, If you want to trade PM me and we can arrange it.:D

Yes the new Amsoil filters are suppose to be the best from what i have read. I was going to get one to put in place of my drop in K&N filter after hearing all the people say its not a good filter but mine seems to work good.

Unfortunately Amsoil does not offer an Injen/Amsoil CAI for the 6.5, the drop ins are available.

I have contacted Amsoil Corporate with a request for a 6.5 CAI to be added to the line.

That is what i was talking about the drop in ones. Really if you get the round style filter box for the 6.5 and put a filter like the Amsoil one in it that will be about as good as you can do.

Yes, Amsoil have the round one. They don't have the flat one for 95-.

I am using the Universal cone with a metal elbow.

Turbine Doc is working on fabricating one using an slightly oversized Amsoil Nanofiber filter. I haven't heard how it is coming along.

Im pretty sure that i just found one its a AFE cold air intake check it out i think its the right one

Yeah it would help us out if your filled out your signature so we can know about your truck. I should have mentioned that the first time. Wrecker I still have the old flat style air intake for now but am looking into finding the other style and if i do i will let u know to get a round filter.

I want a true cold air intake not just a filter that you drop in.:mad2:

Basically, what you have is already a CAI. The air comes in from around the right-hand light assembly, and then follows a dedicated path directly to the filter. Yes, the flow could be better - and smoother - but from a practical standpoint, there's really no reason to change it. Besides, nothing is available. The factory system that you have is actually pretty good. Even the stock filter ain't that bad. Now, if you're wanting to do it for aesthetic reasons, then that would be a different story. :smile5:

I dont think the AFE cold air intake helps you over your stock location in a 2000, its more for guys like me with a 94 and rectangle filter. They dont make a great kit for the 6.5. adding a snorkel or hood scoop might be fun though, its going to have to be custom anything you do to improve. Like relocating battery and making a box draw directly from the front end.

It would be nice if they made some of the cool additions that they make for they new chevy and gm's for the owners of the 6.5 and 6.2

Rumor had it that Heath was going to sell a 6.5 CAI, and there were even some pictures of it floating around (also, it was shown in a magazine IIRC).

Anyone know what happened to Heath's product?

I should also mention that my truck is a 2000 6.5 liter K3500

If your not scared of a hole in your fender you can cut a fender vent and your Cold air will be coming in about 2 inches away from your filter.

And of course buy a nice decorative vent on the outside. They make nice ones. I remember someone had one that was like 4" x 10 and fit perfectly on the body lines. Not sure if 2000 is same as 97. A mod I always wanted to do, just never have.

Back