• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold Air Intake

If your not scared of a hole in your fender you can cut a fender vent and your Cold air will be coming in about 2 inches away from your filter.

And of course buy a nice decorative vent on the outside. They make nice ones. I remember someone had one that was like 4" x 10 and fit perfectly on the body lines. Not sure if 2000 is same as 97. A mod I always wanted to do, just never have.

This topic has come up in the past, but I'm not sure if it was ever resolved. You might actually do more harm than good by using a fender vent. Air is a fluid and will react similar to a boat's bow wake(although it will of course compress more than the water). Meaning, depending on how close the vent is to the fender, there may only be a tiny bit of forced air available (if any).

The way to experiment would be to tape pieces of yarn/ribbon to the fender at various distances off. Then go for a drive and have a passenger observe the yarn at various speeds. You'll be looking for the yarn to be blowing straight back. The end shouldn't be waving around.

On the other hand, a vent or grate/grill may work quite well to evacuate hot, underhood air if placed towards the rear.

This topic has come up in the past, but I'm not sure if it was ever resolved. You might actually do more harm than good by using a fender vent. Air is a fluid and will react similar to a boat's bow wake(although it will of course compress more than the water). Meaning, depending on how close the vent is to the fender, there may only be a tiny bit of forced air available (if any).

The way to experiment would be to tape pieces of yarn/ribbon to the fender at various distances off. Then go for a drive and have a passenger observe the yarn at various speeds. You'll be looking for the yarn to be blowing straight back. The end shouldn't be waving around.

On the other hand, a vent or grate/grill may work quite well to evacuate hot, underhood air if placed towards the rear.

Nice work with the boat wake visual. Gives an intirely different perspective thinking of my truck plowing through water.

Nice work with the boat wake visual. Gives an intirely different perspective thinking of my truck plowing through water.

Thanks. Although I suppose would have been more accurate if I would have said it was similar to a boat's stern wake when going in reverse. The stern of a boat looks a lot more like the front of our trucks than the bow does! Ever see a boat going reverse? It's anything but pretty! :)

Thanks. Although I suppose would have been more accurate if I would have said it was similar to a boat's stern wake when going in reverse. The stern of a boat looks a lot more like the front of our trucks than the bow does! Ever see a boat going reverse? It's anything but pretty! :)

Your right, its like a plow pushing water... Or air... picture my ugly already aerodynamically truck with a 9' plow on the front. Anything over 45 Kills me with mileage, so I dont get any Highway MPG gains. Unless I go slow. And then I'm 'That Guy' in the slow lane....

LOL, Thats always me:)

Matt all you need now is a couple of 55 gallon drums and a fishing poll and you'll be set.

Ever see the size of the rear brake drums on a dually? Its close!! LOL. I saw your sig, and I take it you do :) BTW, what size tires you running w/out spacers?

Your right, its like a plow pushing water... Or air... picture my ugly already aerodynamically truck with a 9' plow on the front. Anything over 45 Kills me with mileage, so I dont get any Highway MPG gains. Unless I go slow. And then I'm 'That Guy' in the slow lane....

LOL, Thats always me:)

Hmmm... You might actually be more aerodynamic if you go backwards! :smile5:

On another point, there is one little thing you can do that might help to get more air in. I don't have anything other than my opinion/theory to back this up, but it's an easy mod - and it's absolutely free. I'll try to get some pics soon, but it's pretty straight forward.

As you know, the air comes in around the parking light assembly. Look closely at the black, plastic mounting flange - there are 4 screws - one in each corner - that holds the light in place. What you're after here is to open up the airway by trimming/cutting back the plastic flange. Simply use a Dremel to cut away the material on the top and bottom - leave about 1/2" around the screws for stability. That's it! With the right tool, you can do this without removing the light assembly.

Again, I have no data to back up my claim that this increases airflow, but I can't see how it would hurt - it should only help.

I've often thought about punching louvers in the inner fender itself. But which way would they face? Gotta think about airflow AND water/junk finding its way up there.

IIRC, opening up the air inlet's been done before. Still a good idea, one worth mentioning again.

IIRC, opening up the air inlet's been done before. Still a good idea, one worth mentioning again.

In fact, at least 8 or 10 years ago, a guy on The Page replaced the entire light assembly with a metal screening. He mounted small, individual lights behind the screen.

In fact, at least 8 or 10 years ago, a guy on The Page replaced the entire light assembly with a metal screening. He mounted small, individual lights behind the screen.

Actually, one of the mods HERE did that.

Another one of the members here trimmed around the light to open up the air path.

As mentioned, there is no airflow data to support this, but it can't hurt!

Actually, one of the mods HERE did that.

Another one of the members here trimmed around the light to open up the air path.

This site hasn't even been open for a year, yet.??? Or do you mean to say that the mod/member you are talking about used to (or maybe still does) belong to The Page?

I'm curious - why the push to point out someone here did things? I certainly wasn't trying to say I invented the idea. I did it about 2 or 3 years ago and wasn't aware of anyone trimming the plastic at that time, but I doubt I was the first one to do it. If my post came across differently, I apologize - it certainly wasn't meant that way. I only wanted to offer the OP some more info that might help him.

This site hasn't even been open for a year, yet.??? Or do you mean to say that the mod/member you are talking about used to (or maybe still does) belong to The Page?

I'm curious - why the push to point out someone here did things? I certainly wasn't trying to say I invented the idea. I did it about 2 or 3 years ago and wasn't aware of anyone trimming the plastic at that time, but I doubt I was the first one to do it. If my post came across differently, I apologize - it certainly wasn't meant that way. I only wanted to offer the OP some more info that might help him.

There isn't a patent on it so don't worry little bumble bee. LOL

Spectre Performance makes a DIY Intake Kit you can use. You can get in a few different Sizes, Weld it Together, or use Silicone Couplers to hold it Together.

They also make Airboxes as well if you want to Seal up the Filter.

I want a true cold air intake not just a filter that you drop in.:mad2:

This doesn't make sense. The factory filter box is thermally insulated from the engine bay, and draws cold air from the fender. Therefore, it IS a "cold-air intake". Putting in a better filter, such as the Amsoil unit, will help increase the airflow while maintaining decent air filtration.

That's why so many of the gang are telling you to stay with what you have. What is it you are looking for?

-Rob :)

This doesn't make sense. The factory filter box is thermally insulated from the engine bay, and draws cold air from the fender. Therefore, it IS a "cold-air intake". Putting in a better filter, such as the Amsoil unit, will help increase the airflow while maintaining decent air filtration.

That's why so many of the gang are telling you to stay with what you have. What is it you are looking for?

-Rob :)

Hard Piping from the Turbo Inlet, Snaked and Formed down to an Open Element Air Filter Mounted behind the Bumper?

Hell, just Buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...62329123QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ht_500wt_1232, DIY your own Piping, and Mount it in the Grille or Below the Bumper like you 6.5'ers do with the External IC's.

Last edited:
Back