• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Centermount turbo setup on a k3500

Really nice Tim! I especially like your "Y". Did you make that or is it something you purchased?
Hahahahaha have you seen my welds!? The welds on the "y" pipe aren't the prettiest, but they are better than mine lol. After lots of searching, I found it on eBay. You'd be amazed at how little options there are for a 2 1/4" to 3" "y". Most were two larger pipes going to one smaller pipe (???) or all three pipes the same size. All the other pipes I have are all from summit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha have you seen my welds!? The welds on the "y" pipe aren't the prettiest, but they are better than mine lol. After lots of searching, I found it on eBay. You'd be amazed at how little options there are for a 2 1/4" to 3" "y". Most were two larger pipes going to one smaller pipe (???) or all three pipes the same size. All the other pipes I have are all from summit.

I was going to compliment you on your welds...and that you must have gotten your new welder running. :) Regardless, it looks nice.

I was going to compliment you on your welds...and that you must have gotten your new welder running. :) Regardless, it looks nice.
I guess I could have taken credit for the welds, but then you would see I was lying once I weld everything else together...

I actually did get my new welder. I didn't have the gas when I tacked the rest of the pipes together, so I just used a self shielding wire to do the tacks. I actually got the gas last week and got it all hooked up yesterday to finally use it but when I went to turn the gas on, nothing. They sold me an empty tank. I should have known to check it, when my brother use to get gas for his welder from tractor supply, they were always giving him empty tanks. I got mine from rural king and didn't even think to make sure it was full.

I just got the chance today to take it back. Of course they questioned my integrity (I bought it on the 9th), but I couldn't blame them. Although, it would probably take me several years to use all of the gas with the amount of welding I actually do, but there are shady people everywhere looking to steal things so it was to be expected. They did exchange it for me though. He probably still didn't believe me, I probably wouldn't have either, but I take comfort in knowing I was being genuinely honest with the guy about it.

But anyway, hopefully this weekend I can finish up all the cutting and welding. Then it will be time for cleaning up welds (yes, I'm fully confident that I will have plenty of time and work in cleaning them up even with the fancy new welder), painting and then wrapping it all.

I guess I could have taken credit for the welds, but then you would see I was lying once I weld everything else together...

I actually did get my new welder. I didn't have the gas when I tacked the rest of the pipes together, so I just used a self shielding wire to do the tacks. I actually got the gas last week and got it all hooked up yesterday to finally use it but when I went to turn the gas on, nothing. They sold me an empty tank. I should have known to check it, when my brother use to get gas for his welder from tractor supply, they were always giving him empty tanks. I got mine from rural king and didn't even think to make sure it was full.

I just got the chance today to take it back. Of course they questioned my integrity (I bought it on the 9th), but I couldn't blame them. Although, it would probably take me several years to use all of the gas with the amount of welding I actually do, but there are shady people everywhere looking to steal things so it was to be expected. They did exchange it for me though. He probably still didn't believe me, I probably wouldn't have either, but I take comfort in knowing I was being genuinely honest with the guy about it.

But anyway, hopefully this weekend I can finish up all the cutting and welding. Then it will be time for cleaning up welds (yes, I'm fully confident that I will have plenty of time and work in cleaning them up even with the fancy new welder), painting and then wrapping it all.

Honesty always pays, even when it doesn't pay. I look forward to your results.

I got everything welded except the back side of the flange on the passenger side manifold. I'll have to pull it off to do that. But everything else is welded and ready to go. Now it's time for cleaning it up and some paint. The passenger side pipe is now nice and close to the head and should have no issues clearing the firewall. And I was able to lower the turbo a little more than an inch. It's about as low as it can go and still insure a larger compressor housing turbo will still fit without hitting the intake. I still need to make support brackets, but I will probably do that when I mount the turbo I plan on using so I don't run into any surprises.
a100e0b7a9b022f643b232a310853739.jpg
a9bf63ba4b928f2197abf7b2890e6840.jpg
8f986e4f4a799c7e276012b1f2d6e68b.jpg
00b3cdac19b919b78cae76d6238e794a.jpg
a22eb5007906d6586454955b416f1af3.jpg

You know, its totally not fair that you can fit that under your hood. I thought about cutting th emid section of my hood out to fit it, and getting the turbo up over the IP to fit it in my Hummer like that.

b3d7d29b8721c17168d307e8d56cb5bd.jpg

Not turning out too bad.

I am going to finish cleaning up the welds (the driver side manifold needs a lot of help) and then I plan to have them shot peened. I painted the passenger side pipe and manifold just to see how they will look. After they are cleaned I am going to do my best to paint as much of the insides of the pipes as I can as well as the outside to try to prolong its life from the inevitable rust we have in Ohio. I plan to wrap them too, which will only help create rust, so I want to make sure I get it as well covered as I can and as clean as I can before I paint them to help it stick.

Heat the manifolds to 250-300 F, it opens the pores up and the paint sticks better. They dry almost instantly too.

Hell, he should have gone All In and fabbed everything from stainless steel since you're spending his money for him, Will!

Here's a stupid question this far into the build. How are you allowing for thermal expansion of the up pipes? Stock uses the bellows to allow expansion without cracking welds, flanges or brackets. With the turbo supported and secured by brackets and your tube collectors bolted to the heads, how are the up pipes going to expand (both length and diameter) without something unwanted giving?

That was an issue I ran into too building my first crossover pipe on my setup. I ended up changing a lot of it and welding in a flexible expansion I grabbed from Orielly's. Works great so far. Maybe a thought 3500? But also, 7.3L Powerstroke pipes aren't bellowed and run a lot hotter and seem to be ok.

I had thought about the bellows, but virtually all the aftermarket piping I have seen for all other center mount setups, they all do away with the factory bellow piping and just have straight pipes. Even the hummer upgraded pipes do away with it. I am hoping that the pipes are short enough that there won't be too much expansion and contraction that will affect it negatively. I also plan to run high temp silicone at all connections that should aid in sealing while being slightly flexible. So with any luck, I am hoping I should be ok.

I had thought about the bellows, but virtually all the aftermarket piping I have seen for all other center mount setups, they all do away with the factory bellow piping and just have straight pipes. Even the hummer upgraded pipes do away with it. I am hoping that the pipes are short enough that there won't be too much expansion and contraction that will affect it negatively. I also plan to run high temp silicone at all connections that should aid in sealing while being slightly flexible. So with any luck, I am hoping I should be ok.

As long as you report back with how it worked (or didn't work), we'll all be smarter because of your experiment. Sounds like you have a good chance of it working though.

I know it was next to impossible without a bellow for the simple fact of everything wouldn't line up perfect with the V-Bands and I was always having leaks. This is what I welded into mine and it wouldn't take up much of any more room for the firewall and would allow pieces to bend a bit for fitment when going together and taking apart. Was so nice

Attachments

• 17919_front.jpg
    17919_front.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 5
I put one of those on my forklift exhaust. It runs inside the frame and the engine bounces around quite a bit while idling. Works great

My Camry uses the same thing to allow the transversely mounted motor to rock slightly without breaking anything.in the exhaust system.

Back