• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Calling all 6.2/6.5 gurus

Advantages of v belt is the waterpump never got messed up with unbalanced flow. Also the hmmwv fanclutch system just bolts on without issues. Different fan iirc but those are easily found with tons of hmmwv parts around for years to come. Then get a rebuild kit for the fan clutch down the road - basically seals and tiny brake shoes. Then the 12v solenoid and a couple custom power steering hoses. Still use any electric fan controller you want to adjust fan engagement where you want it. Add a switch for force on and trinary switch for fan engagement with a/c high pressure like modern rigs.
That’s sounds great. I’ll see what I can come up with. I would love to have a force on feature for the fan. And I have no problem with running a non AC rig in AK

Update and question.

The turbo is in, she makes smoke now. Drove the twenty miles to the exhaust shop and twenty miles back, exhaust is done enough for my move (will need to modify the crossover tube later to allow fitment of the front driveline). I’ve been chewing on a couple things though.

How do I know when I get enough fuel but not too much? Guessing when it blows black smoke?

Will anything bad happen if it runs lean?

I know I should keep the boost below 12, but what should my max EGT read when pulling a hill with a load?

So long as you know the boost is in the intake manifold you have fuel going unburned. Which means a bit too much fuel, or if you possibly have non-turbo injectors, that could have the fuel not get burned fully. So long as you are not “rolling coal” you won’t hurt anything.

Where is your egt sensor(s) installed? That would determine what temp is safe.

Being in Az, you’ll be fighting overheating. You will notice as the egt goes up and stays, it will cause the engine to get hotter and raise ECT (engine coolant temp).
So the egt numbers given will be a generic guide- experience of driving and watching the egt and the effect it has on ect will show you how much is too much.

On your engine temperature: 200 is ok, 210 means watching the gauge more than the road, 220 pull over and let it idle back down to normal. Many folks that live in the southwest prefer not running the 190/195 thermostat. We run a 180 thermostat. The electronic injection pump, the 195 can be enough to get 1/10 of 1 mpg more. Imo that tiny amount of fuel savings is not worth it. When you have a few more minutes of time to catch the overheating before it becomes critical- that is worth loads to me.

Over fueling will raise egt and ect - along with lowering mpg. So imo once you get that turbo dialed in where you are happy with the boost- back out the fuel screw so there is nothing but a tiny have when you take off and no smoke from 3mph up.

There is no such thing as running a diesel “lean”. In gasoline engines that is a problem because the spark plug forces a really hot burn and it can damage pistons. But in a diesel- less fuel just means less power to the wheels.

Back