• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BRF fitting now available. www.leroydiesel.com

So I've been thinking about doing this for quite awhile now, what's always holding me back is won't it limit the amount of flow the heater core gets? Max heat is as important to me as max cooling from your AC is for some of you guys.

Nice piece for owners that just want to buy it and be done. Good to see it available individually.

I don't have any heat issues. It gets cold here too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

So I've been thinking about doing this for quite awhile now, what's always holding me back is won't it limit the amount of flow the heater core gets? Max heat is as important to me as max cooling from your AC is for some of you guys.
The factory quick connect has a biuilt in orifice in it to restrict flow to the heater cores. You want flow to them, but not too much flow. The orifice is needed to prevent excess pressure from blowing your heater core apart when a pressure spike occurs.

so i'm not an engineer but I was always under the impression that once full a pressure spike would be the same it would only really limit the volume. I thought this was strictly a cooling advantage by forcing more water thru the rad

Just to confirm this BRF is not the one on the Tstat housing going to heater core. The BRF go's on the water pump, see video.

So I guess I don't understand where this goes. There's only one place on the WP it can go. The quick connect hose goes directly to the HC and the return from the HC goes into the lower rad hose. What am I missing?

The video is very informative.

The Water Pump is different than the Coolant Crossover (x-over).
Water pump is belt driven attached to it are the fan clutch and fan.
Nothing attached to the coolant crossover except heater hose.

Water pump is down on the front of the engine as far as location goes not to be confused with coolant crossover which is sort of on top of the engine.

Just to confirm this BRF is not the one on the Tstat housing going to heater core. The BRF go's on the water pump, see video.

Why not? Do the threads "fit" the crossover for the heater core nipple? IMO the factory heater restriction keeps the engine from recirculating excess hot coolant. The heater core return dumps in the cold side of the radiator. So if things are hot and the heater is not on the hot coolant isn't cooled, runs over the auto trans cooler if equipped for additional heat, and back to the engine.

In a smaller concern cold. Excess flow may take longer for things to warm up with heat lost to the cold side of the radiator.

All the heater has to do is heat the cab and it doesn't need full flow to do so.

If it fits I would try one out in the unapproved location for the heater as it's better than the powdered metal restriction mess fitting GM cursed us with. I use a heater valve now for *cough* restriction with summer being 100% restriction and all that sort of thing.

I think making a smaller one of these for the crossover to the heater is on his to do list one of these days when he is bored and has nothing to do. Haha.

looks awesome, I think the 99 I sold to dad needs this. :) a single t-stat setup with Leroy's special spec t-stat could out cool a dual t-stat truck...until now? we will see! :)

As far as talk on the heater core flow, that is why I currently run the 15650056 quick connect that GM calls for with the extra restriction in it over the gasser spec one. the plain nipple fitting is simpler, but I feel putting one on is overlooking something sorta important on how the system operates, and so I stick with the OEM setup.

Back