• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blow by

I second that, didn't know there were any block drains other than the freeze plugs.

would it be eaiser to use a gallon of distilled water just before yo engine is shut off? pull the water hose and pour a gallon into the top hose, let the water pump push that through the engine then shut it down? just a thought.

Where exactly are they?
I second that, didn't know there were any block drains other than the freeze plugs.

would it be eaiser to use a gallon of distilled water just before yo engine is shut off? pull the water hose and pour a gallon into the top hose, let the water pump push that through the engine then shut it down? just a thought.

One on each side circled in yellow on this picture. Clearly the block is upside down.

I'm not even sure you can get to them with the motor installed in the truck. The motor mounts may be in the way.

s-l1600.jpg

Can someone please advice my husband @dbrannon79 that he just needs to torch the truck and get another one...thanks from his desperate wife lol
Sure, no problem. I mean, so long as y’all can drop $85,000 on a new one, and realize it won’t get better mpg, and will only stop repair costs for 3 years. After that it will cost the same because all the newer parts are 10 times more expensive for the little stuff, and 3 more years it’s gonna be the big stuff needing repairs. But those parts only cost 8 times as much, so let’s keep it fair! Haha

welcome btw.
yes, I keep telling guys on here they should replace their old trucks. I did! I mean- there are old hummers out there with neglecting owners! Go rescue one. Then at least it’s an investment so when ya get sick of it you can make a profit because the price is always going up.

Sure, no problem. I mean, so long as y’all can drop $85,000 on a new one, and realize it won’t get better mpg, and will only stop repair costs for 3 years. After that it will cost the same because all the newer parts are 10 times more expensive for the little stuff, and 3 more years it’s gonna be the big stuff needing repairs. But those parts only cost 8 times as much, so let’s keep it fair! Haha

welcome btw.
yes, I keep telling guys on here they should replace their old trucks. I did! I mean- there are old hummers out there with neglecting owners! Go rescue one. Then at least it’s an investment so when ya get sick of it you can make a profit because the price is always going up.
Lol okay okay I guess y’all win this war 😂 so hubby I guess you can keep the truck 🛻 lol hell as long as you let me play bingo once a week :)

Now thats some funny stuff happening in here. 😹😹😹
So, on that note, seeing as how, after about six to eight years, the GMT400 is about 8 times cheaper to do repairs on, then a feller should be able to collect at least three of four ofum. 🤷‍♂️😹

Oh yeah, on the block drain plugs. I think I had got them out without messing with motor mounts, but, I just dont quite rememer. It may have been on one of my 350 gassers that I pulled block plugs on.
This oldtimers disease is the 💩s

The block drain plugs are pretty easy to get to, actually, all things considered, easier that swapping out the block heater! Just a ⅜" pipe plug with a ½" square head. Weren't too difficult to pull to drain the block on my 98 Burb. I replaced them with stainless steel pipe plugs and used brush on teflon pipe dope on the threads to make removal much easier, which it was on the next coolant flush!

My two trucks are 49 years old combined. Just bought a 2021 Atlas for the wife (it's nice!). Guess what? She likes to drive the 6.5! Good luck
Oh yeah. If the wife is going on the road and we are taking the truck, I just give up the fight and sheepishly crawl into the passenger side. I know this is a fight I will not win. 😩😭😹😹😹😹
She loves driving that truck.

So question on the compression test.... do I need to wait until morning to run the test?

I’m pulling everything down now. Removing the inner fender and getting everything ready at the moment

Back