• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big T

All your comments of rowing gears and feeling power roll through the truck/drive line is getting me anxious to get mine back in service.

My 93 would stall out anywhere below 2k w/ stock gm3 and turbo master pushing 12psi. Never felt power until 2400.

Yes I missed driving a stick. This is my first diesel stick I have owned and I love it. I have been surprised with T feeling so strong. I regularily shift when it is cold at 1600 or so and it will fall back to 1000 or so after the shift it pulls fine. No gearbox rattle either. Going through town I am in 5th at 1200 or so and she pulls fine. Regularly run through parking lots in 3rd with my foot off of the throttle and clutch and she is running about 10-12 mph and about 1000 on the tach. The ol timers used to talk about diesel equipment being weak, maybe some 6.5s were just not "broken in" right. I have had two pieces of identical equipment that felt and worked totally different! I test drove a 94 5spd that would not start out in any gear other than 1st or it would stall. It almost stalled a couple of times in 3rd going down the road! I have been meaning to try a trick I learned a few years ago on a cabover Pete with an old Detroit, probably 80's vintage. You could shift that truck through all ten gears (an Eaton 10spd) without touching the gas. On the high side in top gear if I remember correctly we were doing about 30-35 without using the fuel pedal! I think T may be able to pull off a run through the gears without using the gas pedal although the drop from 3rd to 4th is a bit steep.

Yes I missed driving a stick. This is my first diesel stick I have owned and I love it. I have been surprised with T feeling so strong. I regularily shift when it is cold at 1600 or so and it will fall back to 1000 or so after the shift it pulls fine. No gearbox rattle either. Going through town I am in 5th at 1200 or so and she pulls fine. Regularly run through parking lots in 3rd with my foot off of the throttle and clutch and she is running about 10-12 mph and about 1000 on the tach. The ol timers used to talk about diesel equipment being weak, maybe some 6.5s were just not "broken in" right. I have had two pieces of identical equipment that felt and worked totally different! I test drove a 94 5spd that would not start out in any gear other than 1st or it would stall. It almost stalled a couple of times in 3rd going down the road! I have been meaning to try a trick I learned a few years ago on a cabover Pete with an old Detroit, probably 80's vintage. You could shift that truck through all ten gears (an Eaton 10spd) without touching the gas. On the high side in top gear if I remember correctly we were doing about 30-35 without using the fuel pedal! I think T may be able to pull off a run through the gears without using the gas pedal although the drop from 3rd to 4th is a bit steep.

My 93 had acceleration problems in 3rd going through town. Ran like a top when wound up, I hope it chugs along like you say after the IP and turbo

IMG_20141115_155755099.jpg IMG_20141115_155807192.jpg I got the rad in T yesterday and replaced the battery cable from the starter to the battery and the crossover. Also finished up the surge tank install from the 95. The top rad hose is very soft, no tightness. The cooling system seems to "breathe" better. Runs about the same on the gauge but she feels(all the hoses, etc) cooler when you open the hood. I was able to use the starter battery cable from the 93 K1500 6.2 and the crossover was from the 93 c2500 6.2. The volts seem to be a bit higher, before you had to wiggle the connection at the battery sometimes, it would lose all power! Got the new O-rings on the oil filter adapter and the oil leak has stopped. I took T for a test drive and really got on it- saw 16 psi at about 3/4 throttle and wound her out to 3200 or so on tach in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, runs like a scalded dog! Egts hit about 850 and was cruising along at around 80 or so when I shifted into 5th. I also had a chance to see if I could shift her from 1st to 5th without using the gas- T was able to go from 0 to 15 or with no fuel! The tach dropped to around 200 or so in on the shift to 4th and 5th but she did not stall. Was bucking a bit in 5th when I let out the clutch but she pulled all 5 gears at basically an idle! Called Conestoga and I am set to get the timing checked/ set on Wednesday the 26th. Will asking about the puff limiter as well!

IMG_20141122_152031620.jpg IMG_20141122_153201493.jpg
Looks nice and clean.

Thanks! My wife makes funny of me when I start wiping her down. It makes it a little less sooty when I am working on her!

I towed my first load on Tuesday- do not laugh but it was my 5.5x9 utility trailer and one cabinet! Probably only about 900 pounds but I did have 7 smaller cabinets in the box! T did fine, no real issues.

Yesterday I got a small load of hay, 25 40-50lb square bails with three more in the box and she did great. I guess it was close to 3000 lbs behind me. I was able to make rolling stops at the stops signs in third, pulling out at about 900-1000 rpms. The gas gauge did not drop much- at 450 or so on the trip meter and she is just under half a tank. 200-220 miles was pulling both trailers!

I cannot comment on the stock pump but with the moose pump it rolls out great. With a small load it was fine in third rolling out- now with 10000 behind me I am sure she would not be so accommodating!

Now I cannot give it full throttle at that rpm point unless I am coming out of the hole in 1st or 2nd. I have learned in driving and fooling around with T on the back roads you do some damage without a pyro. Anything over 1/8-1/4 throttle below 1500 will roll coal like a sob. You cannot see behind you and it lingers forever. The egts will quickly spike to 800-850. I let off at that point but a determined individual without a pyro could quickly get into the danger zone with egts! At 1500-1800 you can give maybe half throttle. This pump puts out some fuel- way more than the 6.5 can use until the turbo fully lights! Now the above description applies to steady state cruise and then you punch it. If you downshift and raise the r's she will only smoke for however long you are below the turbo fully lighting.

With the ATT I get 1-2 pounds of boost from 1200-1400. Max I have seen in this range is a smokey 5. At 1400-1600 I can get about 6 or so. I have seen 8 in this range with a good bit of smoke. The most I have seen with the ATT so far on this truck is 16. For almost smoke free driving I practice a progressive throttle/ roll into the throttle technique. Above 2000 grand with full throttle she will lay a light gray haze. Coming out of the hole in the lower gears T will take more throttle than a steady cruise state at low rpms.

Well I have been really busy with work and other projects and so I have been away for awhile. Thought I would update this thread. I have about 7k on the Moose pump and I still overall very pleased. On summer fuel not towing I am still getting 20.5-21 or so average on a tank of fuel. Towing between 3-7k for about 1/3 to 1/4 tank usually nets me 18.5-19. When I towed a 79 Bird recently that was about 1/2 a tank and I still got better than 15 (I think it was 16.5). I am not happy with the rpm drop on the NV4500 with this turbo and pump. I thinking about a Gear Vendors in the near future- she needs more gears! I am having some random timing surge issues and after talking to Mel at Conestoga diesel he feels I may have a feel starvation issue (still the factory lift pump). I am also not hearing the lift pump when I shut the truck off- I have replaced the pump and the oil pressure switch and within a week I stopped hearing the pump again. Dropped the tank last weekend and removed the sock- it was pretty nasty. Ordered a Walbro and fuel pump harness from Leroy. I also ordered I filter base and a filter with the water drain from Summit. Hoping to get that installed over the long weekend! Plan to post a few pictures of the work.

Loooonnnngggg time . . . ! :)

Agree about needing to split 3'rd & 4th.

Try a closed trailer or camper insert. At 55 - 60 mph (with 3.73's or lower), 3'rd is too low and 4th is too high.

Wish there was another production option in addition to GV, but the lack of options pretty much forces the decision.

Loooonnnngggg time . . . ! :)

Agree about needing to split 3'rd & 4th.

Try a closed trailer or camper insert. At 55 - 60 mph (with 3.73's or lower), 3'rd is too low and 4th is too high.

Wish there was another production option in addition to GV, but the lack of options pretty much forces the decision.

Just a couple of days!:happy:

Yes 3-4 is the worst. Yes I have 3.73s. 50 in 5th is just 1500 and 4th is about 2000, when I tow I will not use 5th unless I am on flat ground and doing 55 or better. I have pulled my enclosed 12' construction trailer with the truck and I did not need 3rd- it is light though. Only 3-4k and it only hilly here at best, no real mountains to climb in my average drive.

Looked around and the gear vendors is about it. Looking to upgrade to 4.10's and bigger tires (285 75R16, currently 245 75R16). The net will be about 50-100 more rpms than the 3.73s with the larger tires and then with a split in every gear range should really make for a nice all around driver/ tow rig. 80mph would only be about 2100 or so in 5th over!

IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0809.JPG IMG_0810.JPG IMG_0811.JPG Finished getting the new Walbro pump and fuel filter setup on Saturday. I also installed Leroys lift pump harness- went on in less than 10 minutes and has now been added to my list of essential mods. I have had three trucks with intermittent to no lift pump function and this in combo with a good aftermarket pump seems to be the cure all for faulty lift pump operation!

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 2
No problem. I wished I had known about this harness when I wired Little Ds LP to a manual switch.

Initial impressions in driving are the truck now feels more peppy. Builds boost easier, smoke less below boost, accelerates easier, is louder, idles better, and finally it lugs better. Much happier with the way it feels below 1500 and it smokes less there as well. Need to put some more miles on it but so far it was worth the work and the cost! I suspect it has never gotten fuel consistently from purchasing last year.

Update: got fuel before heading out on a weekend road trip last weekend and got 20.7 mpg- that is with a small leak in the fuel system. Had issues with the fittings on the Walbro. Came with 1/4 npt 5/16s nipples and had to get some 1/4 npt adapters that were then joined to a 3/8" hose barb. They leaked so finally broke down got the correct 1/4 npt 3/8 hose barb fittings.

She did great in the trip up. Running empty up Afton mountain on Saturday with the AC on at 88^ and muggy cruise set at 75 saw a spike of 12psi on the ATT and the EGTS peaked at 950 then settled in at 850 or so and about 10psi. ECTs stayed steady 2 ticks below 210 the whole way up. All in ran great. After a 200 mile round trip on Saturday through Sunday (stayed over nite in Lexington) we came back and picked up 30 square bales on the 18' flatbed trailer. Still have well over half a tank of fuel!!

Talked to Mel at Connestoga and he said the Ferd guys with Holley red fuel pumps are having trouble keeping up with the Moose pumps. Thought the Walbro might have some trouble but I knew so many 6.5s were running the Walbro with success I thought I might be ok. I can now attest that the Walbro will not keep up with the Moose at heavy throttle applications. Was running her hard Friday evening before we left and experienced fuel starvation after an extended run at 3/4+ throttle at 80-85mph and 10-12 psi. She started bucking a bit and almost shutoff. Guess I need a bigger pump. Good news in average driving and towing situations the Walbro does great and in general she runs much better. Never had the first issue on the recent trip.

Sorry to hear you had some problems on the trip, kind of.

Wait, don't get mad. What I mean is people question that he's putting out that volume through the pumps. That problem you experienced is diagnostic 101 that you are pushing more fuel through it. Now my only question is- If you're still getting good MPG, you're not burning the fuel, is it just cycling it? Obviously trying to run more power you will be burning it, but not when you're simply maintaining the speed on the freeway, I wouldn't think it should be consuming that much more fuel. I could be wrong- happened once before lol.

Will L. I agree. I guess should have been more clear on the pump/ fuel issue.
To the beginning: I had a surge/ stumble/ buck issue. Spoke to Mel thinking it may be the pump. He suggested fueling. I agreed on the face- 6.5 fueling systems suck. 5/16 line, tank sock, crafty lift pump wiring, cheap lift pump. I have had fueling issues with 3 out of the 7 6.5s I owned and or driven extensively, mostly from LP wiring. I decided to eliminate the variables so to speak. Removed the sock, FTB, Walbro, Leroys LP harness. So now (pretty sure) I know it is getting fuel. I now have zero issues at light to medium throttle and I only experience issues (surge/ stumble/ buck) after extended applications of heavy throttle- basically a mile + of foot practically to the carpet with heavy acceleration to get there. I do have a heavy grey haze at heavy sustained throttle openings and heavy dense black smoke when I lug it. I was thinking a fuel pressure gauge to evaluate and or quantify the "lack of fuel". As you I cannot figure my mileage. That almost 21 is tooling around the backroads, in town, with very little sustained interstate driving. I am not sure why the mileage is so high. What are you guys thoughts? Am I on the right track? gauge the next move? Very happy overall but it is a killjoy when you want to have a bit of therapeutic fun and then she hacks/ stumbles!

Yes get a fuel gauge in there. the best option is one that also can read into a vacuum instead of just zero (zero from the latin- I wonder whats happening). imo you are on the right road, keep going & you'll work out the kinks and have a fun - no lugging- truck very soon.

Thanks Will. It has come along way since purchased last year. Ready to start working on the paint/ body now. Lug is a relative term- running 50mph in 5th on the backroads and you hit a quick hill it will kill all the mosquitos in the area!!! Do you have any suggestions on a good gauge? Was thinking a Glowshift unit so I could get a matching IAT gauge.

Back