• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big T

dang that looks nice!

I love a little rake on a truck, gives the "crouching tiger" effect.

Unlike the nose up cranked-to-the-sky t-bars, which gives the "fat labrador retriever dragging his ass across your living room carpet" effect. :)

So once you hit 3rd, it busts loose? (actual 3rd, or 4th? )

To reduce confusion I just call it a 5 speed, and deep low is 1st, OD is 5th. I think the stick pattern is more a driving aid than anything, because brouchures, etc call it a 5 speed.

Thanks! I like the "crouching" look as well- ready to devour any unsuspecting Ferds and Dodges! :hihi: I will start calling a 5spd although I have yet to use 1st! I start out in 2nd and once I have shifted to third she really hauls. 3rd to 4th and 4th gear itself are were the acceleration happens. 1st and 2nd are so short if you give some fuel you hit 2500 or before you can blink. When I test drove it I used 4lo and started out in 1st. I hit 5th gear and was doing 30- 1st and 2nd did not even register on the speedo!

Awesome! Now that we know an ATT plays well with the 5 speed, I have the next project: 4L80E to NV4500 in a '99 Burb :driving: :hihi:

A 5spd Burb would be sweet! :thumbsup:

From what I've heard it works really well on ds4 nv4500's.

Hot db2's seem to smoke w/ att. Too much fuel down low.

source unknown

I could see that. The truck does roll the coal with authority- since it does not have much effect on my egts(100-150* spike) I will see how the fuel mileage pans out before I get to concerned! I was thinking about a Moose pump in the future but a marine pump like a DB4 may be a better alternative since the a marine motor is tuned to run 2-3000 rpms all the time which is the meat of the power curve with the ATT.

Probably a good candidate for a qsv.

School me on this one- what is "a qsv"?

Quick Spool Valve. There are more threads than this one, but it will get you started.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...Install-with-Pics&highlight=quick+spool+valve

Thanks. I read through that thread, I think it is a great idea!

Update: well she started leaking fuel again. Turned out it was the tapped fitting for FTB. After spending several hours working with this thing last time I decided to get medieval with it. Today I took another "tailcone" from one of the spare IPs, drilled it out a bit, cut a piece of steel 3/8 fuel line, and I welded my nipple on!:D I thought if that sucker leaks through a weld I give up! Success!!!!:D:D No leaks. It has changed the way the truck runs dramatically. No more smoke- she is no longer a coal roller. Egts are slightly higher accelerating and lower cruising. Had to bump the idle as she was idling at about 400 rpms. I suspect since I am not getting any black smoke, even when I hit the loud pedal hard, that I do not have enough fuel. I have the ip turned up almost 1/2 turn so I guess I will need a bigger IP in the future. The acceleration is brisk and I am satisfied, just something to keep in mind for the future. I also learned that these mechanical trucks are way more sensitive to air in the fuel system. She smoked for awhile to clear the air from the IP mod. Also was interesting to me how the air effects the turbo as well. Wonder how many ATTs are rolling coal because of minor fuel leaks and not because of the turbo. Cannot speak for all cases but the fuel leak definitely made this truck a coal roller. Cannot wait to see how she pulls, going to pick up a small load of hay next weekend!

Gave the old girl a wash today and took another crank out of the torsion bars- 4 in total. I think I have the stance were I want it now. I also removed the 4x4 decals- they were pealing bad on the driver side and I like the clean look anyway. These trucks have great lines- no need to cover them up! Got fuel this morning and she got 19.8 mpg. That was 196 stock with the GMx and about 80 miles with the ATT. This is the first time I have filled since the day I drove her home do it included all the lost fuel from the work and the leak. I am thinking I may have a shot at a consistent 20mpg. Drove her about 40-50 miles today and she is running great. Saw almost 14psi of boost at about 3000 rpms with plenty of pedal left. Runs between 3-4 psi of boost and the boost builds quick when you need it. Real pleased with the ol girl. Now that I have fixed the fuel leak the oil filter adapter has started leaking- always something!:) Lots of plans for the her- now I just need to let the wallet recover!

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_130919618.jpg
    IMG_20141005_130919618.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20141005_152813517.jpg
    IMG_20141005_152813517.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20141005_152826862.jpg
    IMG_20141005_152826862.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20141005_161248778.jpg
    IMG_20141005_161248778.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 11
Been fighting a hard start issue, especially when hot. Turned out to partially be the high idle switch or the temp sending unit in the crossover. Yes, mine is mounted in the crossover not the back of the passenger side head. When I jumped it with a jumper wire she started fine but the constant 12 volts to the advance was too much so she started easier but she would buck in 5th. Could not believe the difference in the way she runs after I replaced it with a new one last night. Much smoother and better response/ acceleration as well. Somebody explain to me how that advance mech works? I thought it was either 12 volts or nothing- does the sensor/ switch vary the voltage based on the coolant temp?

The glows are also not cycling long enough so I am working on the Ferd (about the only thing the ever did right:hihi:) solenoid manual glow switch mod. Any problems with a hot glow cycle? The glows are not lighting at all when the motor is hot and she cranks for a good bit. Thinking a 5 sec glow would give her a nice kick. Any thoughts or cautions from you guys experience?

Got the glow plug wired on a switch using a Ferd solenoid and cold starts are much better. No Bueno on fixing the hot start issue- I guess I see an IP in my future. Hope she holds out until spring. Also, found a nice black toolbox on sale at Tractor Supply and I got that on yesterday evening along with the manual glow plug setup.

Meant to post this awhile back- here is the Ferd starter relay mounted for the manual glow plug override. Decided to mount it on the motor to keep the wires nice and short.

Attachments

• IMG_20141009_182824071.jpg
    IMG_20141009_182824071.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 11
Yep, the are the Bosch Duraterms. After doing some reading they seem to be a hotter plug than the 60gs. So far they seem to be working great. BTW I love the constant advertising/ promotion! :D

I am looking for a downpipe and a crossover- I saw the crossover on your site Leroy. Can you get the DP and if so how much?

OK thanks! However I ordered from Summit- I had forgotten I had $25 Summit Bucks set to expire at the end of the month and the only parts I needed at this time are the crossover and DP plus a few elbows and misc. exhaust parts. I also got free shipping on the order!

Been working on getting some odds and ends sorted over the last two weeks. Got the CD player in from the 88 GMC, got the Bull Moose sticker on and a nice Diamond Eye sticker I had, and got the tool box mounted. Took a little fall drive and I snapped a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20141025_153729597.jpg
    IMG_20141025_153729597.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20141026_170246493.jpg
    IMG_20141026_170246493.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20141026_170616988.jpg
    IMG_20141026_170616988.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20141026_171338040.jpg
    IMG_20141026_171338040.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20141026_171459806.jpg
    IMG_20141026_171459806.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20141025_170333.jpg
    IMG_20141025_170333.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 16
The oil filter adaptor has been leaking so I ordered the oil filter adaptor bolt o ring set from Leroy. Same great service and quick shipping as always Leroy! Thanks!

Anyway got that on yesterday. I also installed the surge tank from Little D to help with the cooling- I think it had an air bubble which has since been purged. It still ran hotter than I liked and I felt the added "breathing" ability of the cooling system would be better with the surge tank. I also re sealed the t-stat gasket and removed the rad to be cleaned. I can see some scale and rust deposits from the block blocking the cooling tubes so off to the rad shop on Monday. While the radiator was out I flushed the AC condenser with water and removed any leaves and crud from in and around the core. It was surprisingly clean. Finally I adjusted the hoses from the turbo to the intake and re clocked the ATT so its sits level.

Nice pics. I like the one with old chimney in back. Makes you wonder what story was there.

Nice pics. I like the one with old chimney in back. Makes you wonder what story was there.

Thanks! Those pics were taken at a property I am getting ready to build a house for a client. The client researched the property and the chimney was part of the Lane house which was built in the early 1700's. The Lane cemetery is about a 500' feet away and I believe still has remains in the ground. One of the Lane's also fought in the Revolutionary War. About a 1000' in front of where I was parked is Cub Creek. On Cub Creek not to far away from this spot was a school house where James Madison and James Monroe went to school supposedly.

All your comments of rowing gears and feeling power roll through the truck/drive line is getting me anxious to get mine back in service.

My 93 would stall out anywhere below 2k w/ stock gm3 and turbo master pushing 12psi. Never felt power until 2400.

Thanks! Those pics were taken at a property I am getting ready to build a house for a client. The client researched the property and the chimney was part of the Lane house which was built in the early 1700's. The Lane cemetery is about a 500' feet away and I believe still has remains in the ground. One of the Lane's also fought in the Revolutionary War. About a 1000' in front of where I was parked is Cub Creek. On Cub Creek not to far away from this spot was a school house where James Madison and James Monroe went to school supposedly.

Thats cool. I really like seeing history like that.

Back