• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big name tuners are no longer selling "off road/race" tuning

But seriously, since the crack down on freelance aftermarket programming because of emissions concerns, combined with the lack of profitability compared to the hours put into doing the tunes, and the fact there are hardly any of these OBD-I/II 6.5TD's around compared to D-Maxes, Cummins and Navstar/Scorpions, nobody is doing much in the way of tunes for these dinosaurs any more. Yeah, you can still find standard 40/80HP chips/ECM's for these from Heath, Kennedy, SSDS - but even Bill is no longer in the game, having sold out and 'retired'. Keep on searching (if the forum update lets you actually pull up, let alone search for, posts/links from 10-15 years back from Kojo, Walking J, and others (why can't I remember the name of the ATT turbo/tune developer, besides old age?) with their tunes and bin files, @dbrannon79. While a fun hobby, reinventing the wheel doesn't accomplish much.

But seriously, since the crack down on freelance aftermarket programming because of emissions concerns, combined with the lack of profitability compared to the hours put into doing the tunes, and the fact there are hardly any of these OBD-I/II 6.5TD's around compared to D-Maxes, Cummins and Navstar/Scorpions, nobody is doing much in the way of tunes for these dinosaurs any more. Yeah, you can still find standard 40/80HP chips/ECM's for these from Heath, Kennedy, SSDS - but even Bill is no longer in the game, having sold out and 'retired'. Keep on searching (if the forum update lets you actually pull up, let alone search for, posts/links from 10-15 years back from Kojo, Walking J, and others (why can't I remember the name of the ATT turbo/tune developer, besides old age?) with their tunes and bin files, @dbrannon79. While a fun hobby, reinventing the wheel doesn't accomplish much.
I hear ya! theses trucks are dinosaurs nowa days. and I know I'm late to the game for the era these great 6.5's were in, but dam there still good trucks :) I would love to run across some of their bin files they did customizing tunes back in the day for the obd1's, Ill stay away from obd2 for now. I know there's guys out there that still make good money doing those. I guess it's more of a hobby of mine wanting to learn and tinker lol. I would love to customize my own tune for my truck, once I am able to I would even freely share it to anyone wanting along with the knowledge I learn along the way it as long as it didn't infringe on anyone that still does these old trucks who are making a profit. my opinion on these trucks is "Long live the 6.2/6.5" :)

as far as finding bins or tunes on these trucks, I wouldn't just copy them but learn from them and compare how different they are from stock, learn what changes they did and how it effected things, then come up with something on my own. I've always had a passion for learning and tinkering with stuff like this, but I'll admit sometimes it has gotten me in trouble too lol that's one reason I am being careful not to tread on anyone here or anywhere else, along with not blowing up my truck in the process!

@Husker6.5
Turbine Doc (Tim O) is who you are trying to remember.
I thought that there was somebody else who was developing the tune(s) and ATT turbo on here, (I want to say from Ohio, Michigan) that wound up getting a lot of grief over their work and basically said screw you all after selling several ATTs/tunes because several people saying that turbo wouldn't work on our engines/rpm range. This was like back 10-12 years or so ago. Maybe I'm wrong, or confusing members/issues.

Heard from one of the Wehrli boys Father in law (happens to be a good buddy of mine) yesterday that Wehrli no longer does any modifications to delete emissions equipment. I believe they still make components for "off road" use but their shop doesn't take in work like they used to. They currently are building a new 100,000 sq ft facility a couple blocks from the current one. They started in the family garage 10 years ago a few miles from me.

Tim had NO part in the tuning, just testing the turbo's(last I talked to him he had never tuned a 6.5l and had loaned out his stuff). Slim was working with somebody here at 1st(one who doesn't want to be named because he left the tuning game for fear of the EPA's heavy hand) and after several months kojo decided to help him(he was hesitant to help another tuner after being burned by the mpc guy that everybody cheered about on the forums). Slim made a tune that optimized the ATT and was selling it for awhile.

Some bit of info I recently found out here at work. we are currently having supply issues on parts like DEF quality sensors and such. one of our KW dealers locally had over 40 trucks down due to lack of getting these and NoX sensors for them. (heard one of the mfg's went out of business) they've recently been given the EPA's blessing on programming the computers to bypass these sensors until supplies are available!

Dude! If you can get anything from epa saying it, that you can share-please do.
Also any approved bypassing set ups getting posted all in a thread of “all other diesel” section- that could prove helpful to folks both now and long term. Might want to put copies of those in your personal long term file cabinet. Things like that I wished I saved from my wrench turning days...

Dude! If you can get anything from epa saying it, that you can share-please do.
Also any approved bypassing set ups getting posted all in a thread of “all other diesel” section- that could prove helpful to folks both now and long term. Might want to put copies of those in your personal long term file cabinet. Things like that I wished I saved from my wrench turning days...
I'll defiantly ask and see if I can get copies.

I'll defiantly ask and see if I can get copies.
Serious CYA here- you NEED to have them in your files even if you aren’t allowed to share them. YOU are liable for fines and jail time as a pro working on a rig modified illegally. Your shop, city, and state laws don’t count- this is federal. Which means jail time is in a federal prison.
Rare, but seen it happen. Almost happened to me. Surely will happen more often as we go more GREEN.

Back