• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

best info on dodge gas ever!

look at my earlier post....I said IFS is good for offroad racing 2wd trucks....which is why independent suspension on a quad is good.....on a truck its pointless....and Torsion bar on trucks in the 50's so its outdated!? thank you for helping my point...

how so? solid axles were around before that??? so ifs is the future?:idea: personally I think sfa are the cheaper to make strong, but ifs has more off road benefits but cost quite a bit to beef up. I see both of your points but when I was going down route 80 in iraq in a hum that ifs worked great through all them mortar holes even at 68mph(top speed ha) If anything compare gm to fords ifs, ford can't get it right they eat tires up horrible both my 250 vans are the worst and they swim all over the road. gm got it to work, not real strong but its not a difficult fix

IFS is plenty strong on a work truck, I have seen many used and abused and they hold up as well as the SFA do. It comes down to a preference of which you like. One advantage to a SFA is it is cheaper to lift.

if IFS and Torsion bar is sooooo good , why don't that have IFS and Torsion bar conversion kits? I see SAS kit everywhere though...hmmmmmm...wonder why? lol

if IFS and Torsion bar is sooooo good , why don't that have IFS and Torsion bar conversion kits? I see SAS kit everywhere though...hmmmmmm...wonder why? lol

like I said, its all about the money. Not only that if a big company like ford can't get it right, what makes you think the average joe or aftermarket company can? I am not saying sfa is bad at all, I would love to have it on my s10 but I dont wanna shell out the money or waste the time on a conversion for something that really wont do any good for me. ifs and the t bar suspension works great, with the right mods of course. My primary off roading is on the beach, of course I have been known to attempt(key word) a few swamp fordings. my s10 has no lift and 1 size bigger tire than factory, yet I can put it places some guys in jeeps get stuck in... and they are sfa....

In a half ton or smaller I have no problem with IFS its light duty, but 3/4 and 1 tons need the SFA.....look at Semi's and look at mediium duty trucks like f650 and kodiaks they are for hauling loads and low and behold, SFA.....

You are back peddling now makeing yourself eat your own words. All you have to do is admit that IFS is very good at what it was intended to do, SFA is very good at what it was ment to do. out of the SFA dodge is for sure the best the ford untis suck on the superduties, very rough riding and bouncy as hell, dodge did a very good job engineering there SFA, but GM is doing a very good job with the IFS, I would take either front end out and beat on it in the mud or sand, and they will both drive away unscaved, I can't speak for the ford units because we always had a hard time with hub assemblies on them, even before the Auto hub shit. Back to the motors the reason you see many chevy small and big blocks is because they're are so many and they are cheap to work on, but why is that? It is because they have the best track reords for service and reliabilty, if you go old enough into the ford side you get the 351, 390, 360, 302 and 460 all of which are great motors that where very reliable and fairly stout, butc with the 4.6 5.4 and 6.8 thay have turned onto gas guzzleing under powered, turds of motors. ANd doge had the 360 very dependable but very underpowered, 318 very dependable very underpowered, 340 a joke, 426 hemi a joke, 426 max wedge a very good motor period, 440 wedge very good motor period, theh V10 a terrible joke, my old 454 make V10 look like tired little fat kids when it is runnin through the hills with a load. The chevy greats 302, 327, 350, 396, 454, 502, 572, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, 8.1 all greta motors that are great at what they do. Terrible GM motors, 305, 307, 400 (gasser small block damned siemese bores) 4.8 not terrible but very underpowered, 4.3 not terrrible just older than dirt and very underpowered. No Hemmorage here.

l_9132b2719683e011ada801c62b4d37c8.jpg

I have tested the IFS very scientifically on this truck. jumping with a 200 gallon tank full on the back, going through offroad dumptruck ruts, all out floored through mud trying to get to equipment, going down 4wheeler trails to pull people out....Its been through hell even before we got it. A utility company had it and im sure they weren't easy on it.
Nothing wrong with it yet. :sifone:

I know numerous guys with GM trucks...which BTW I actually do like (not backpeddling), that have done SAS and they said its the best thing they have ever done to their truck....they say it offroads better, it tows better and it just rides better.....I have ridden in quite a few of them and I do have to agree.... I think the Duraturd is a decent motor...Im just weary of aluminum heads on a high compression motor....The 6 uh oh can be a good motor with some work, the cummins is bulletproof...GM interior is the best, ford 2nd and dodge is third.... Dodge frames best, chevy 2nd and ford 3rd, but when it comes to suspension GM is last and always will be... We can go on and on and on about this, but its just going to be a waste of time....

You are back peddling now makeing yourself eat your own words. All you have to do is admit that IFS is very good at what it was intended to do, SFA is very good at what it was ment to do. out of the SFA dodge is for sure the best the ford untis suck on the superduties, very rough riding and bouncy as hell, dodge did a very good job engineering there SFA, but GM is doing a very good job with the IFS, I would take either front end out and beat on it in the mud or sand, and they will both drive away unscaved, I can't speak for the ford units because we always had a hard time with hub assemblies on them, even before the Auto hub shit. Back to the motors the reason you see many chevy small and big blocks is because they're are so many and they are cheap to work on, but why is that? It is because they have the best track reords for service and reliabilty, if you go old enough into the ford side you get the 351, 390, 360, 302 and 460 all of which are great motors that where very reliable and fairly stout, butc with the 4.6 5.4 and 6.8 thay have turned onto gas guzzleing under powered, turds of motors. ANd doge had the 360 very dependable but very underpowered, 318 very dependable very underpowered, 340 a joke, 426 hemi a joke, 426 max wedge a very good motor period, 440 wedge very good motor period, theh V10 a terrible joke, my old 454 make V10 look like tired little fat kids when it is runnin through the hills with a load. The chevy greats 302, 327, 350, 396, 454, 502, 572, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, 8.1 all greta motors that are great at what they do. Terrible GM motors, 305, 307, 400 (gasser small block damned siemese bores) 4.8 not terrible but very underpowered, 4.3 not terrrible just older than dirt and very underpowered. No Hemmorage here.

I only disagree with the v10 comment, my grandfather has a 94 ram 2500 2wd sclb v10 and its an awesome motor! given it isnt thrown real heavy loads all the time but it has carried 3k of rock, sand, saw dust and such in the bed and his last trip from jacksonville nc to charlotte he returned 18mpg with a bed full of gear and some mixed highway city driving. it gets the mileage my 5.2(318) got but has a lot of power and doesnt even squat with a load. I never have been a mopar man but this truck is pretty stout. He keeps it well maintained which prob has a chunk of its durability as well. oh yeah and its ifs too..... ha

I know numerous guys with GM trucks...which BTW I actually do like (not backpeddling), that have done SAS and they said its the best thing they have ever done to their truck....they say it offroads better, it tows better and it just rides better.....I have ridden in quite a few of them and I do have to agree.... I think the Duraturd is a decent motor...Im just weary of aluminum heads on a high compression motor....The 6 uh oh can be a good motor with some work, the cummins is bulletproof...GM interior is the best, ford 2nd and dodge is third.... Dodge frames best, chevy 2nd and ford 3rd, but when it comes to suspension GM is last and always will be... We can go on and on and on about this, but its just going to be a waste of time....

That, I have to disagree with. Maybe an aftermarket SFA kit, but no way can a stock Dodge or Ford compare. I just sold a 2500 Dodge that's front end was a joke compared to any GM I've ever owned (handling wise). I currently own an 04 F350 Super Duty 6.0 RCLB, and have driven plenty of F250/350/450/550's. I've never been one for the 6 liter's and bought this truck just to re-sell. I like it a lot, but no way in he!! is does the front end ride or handle better. It's stout and will take some abuse, but let's not kid ourselves.

A solid axle front end will never ride as good as IFS, you should see how the humvee's do slaming over mortar holes and speed bumps the IFS is bullet proof if a suspension designed to handle 6000-8000 pounds can handle being forced to hold up 13,000 plus pounds of an uparmored Humvee, I would say it is pretty tough. I will take a stock humvee out anywhere you wanna meet me with your dodge, it will woop your SFA's ass. And as for the V-10 getting 18 mpg that is the first time I have ever heard of that. My 454 gets between 3-9 mpg heavy load and the guy pulling an identical load with his v-10 6 speed was needing fuel stops much more than me he couldn't even make from topeka to manhattan on one tank, and on the hills his truck fell back fast and he started huntin for a gear that would pull the hill, I was in 4th and just left her in gear and let her eat. And that is with my welder and 2 others on the bed, plus fuel welding rod and all the gear. The trailer was 25foot flat deck goose neck with steel it weighed in at about 11,000 pounds nothin real heavy but the V-10 couldn't make it happen. And you will never get me to even consider buying a truck that you would have to modify right off the bat by takeing it's cab off and pullin the heds they are junk. BUt Dunnes you are right about one thing The cummins is a great motor, I may even put one in my 88 if I can ever get the old 454 to blow. And dodge frames are the reason armor upfitters wont fit them for armor they say the platform is not capable of supporting the extra load and stress of armor. Best interior GM, best gasser motors always has and always will be GM, best frame GM, Best diesel Cummins and the D-max tie for that one they seem to be the toughest and the most capable to make huge power numbers, best tranny's GM, best waste of money in a diesel FORD best waste of money in a gasser DODGE.

I would rather have a 7.3 Ford than a GM or Dodge until Ford screwed the pooch with thier 6.0

I'll agree with you here for the most part. My problem with newer gm products is the excess of electronics. My Mechanic friend has a ecm tool for his laptop that can roll the windows up and down, move the seats, call up onstar, set the ac in some cars, and change the radio stations. There doesn't need to be a computer interface for all of that stuff in my opinion. I feel like its just more that could fail in the long run.

Last edited:
A solid axle front end will never ride as good as IFS, you should see how the humvee's do slaming over mortar holes and speed bumps the IFS is bullet proof if a suspension designed to handle 6000-8000 pounds can handle being forced to hold up 13,000 plus pounds of an uparmored Humvee, I would say it is pretty tough. I will take a stock humvee out anywhere you wanna meet me with your dodge, it will woop your SFA's ass. And as for the V-10 getting 18 mpg that is the first time I have ever heard of that. My 454 gets between 3-9 mpg heavy load and the guy pulling an identical load with his v-10 6 speed was needing fuel stops much more than me he couldn't even make from topeka to manhattan on one tank, and on the hills his truck fell back fast and he started huntin for a gear that would pull the hill, I was in 4th and just left her in gear and let her eat. And that is with my welder and 2 others on the bed, plus fuel welding rod and all the gear. The trailer was 25foot flat deck goose neck with steel it weighed in at about 11,000 pounds nothin real heavy but the V-10 couldn't make it happen. And you will never get me to even consider buying a truck that you would have to modify right off the bat by takeing it's cab off and pullin the heds they are junk. BUt Dunnes you are right about one thing The cummins is a great motor, I may even put one in my 88 if I can ever get the old 454 to blow. And dodge frames are the reason armor upfitters wont fit them for armor they say the platform is not capable of supporting the extra load and stress of armor. Best interior GM, best gasser motors always has and always will be GM, best frame GM, Best diesel Cummins and the D-max tie for that one they seem to be the toughest and the most capable to make huge power numbers, best tranny's GM, best waste of money in a diesel FORD best waste of money in a gasser DODGE.

My papa and I were guessing 16mpg but yeah the truck did great, it didnt have a huge load on it though like it sounds you were pulling but the exact figure was 18.2mpg. Was there something wrong with the one you were using cause this truck seems to have a lot of grunt for a gasser? Its an automatic tranny too.... works alright for what my papa uses it for

so they aren't worth a dime, hemi = crap

so is that all you' all got.

You know where I am at, show me that HEMI can keep up. They sound cool, but they are NOT my flavor. Too many dumb kids think just because it says HEMI magnum on it, its fast, sorry, its not. My truck makes more HP/Torque on 3 cylinders (322 hp 540lbft) that a stupid hemi.:sifone: I am saying this as catty and sarcastic as possible, fellow brother.

Last edited:
Being a hemi 4x4 owner, with a 3.92 gear and on 275-60-20's, I can HONESTLY say that my dad's 2005 5.3L Sierra 2WD whoops my butt !!! I have 345hp, he has 295hp. I have 3.92 gear, he has 3.08 gear. I get 11mpg, he gets 18mpg.

I also agree, hemi........crap!

Not exactly comparing apples to apples there. I do agree the Humvee is tough, however, would you not also say that the Humvee would "whoop" the truck you show in your sig. your 07? I'll meet you anywhere you want with a stock suspension Dodge against your stock ifs GM. I own a 01 2500 with the 8.1, a 01 Duramax and a 02 Dodge. Hands down the Dodge will go places the other two just simply will not go, unless the 4020 is hooked to the front of them. I know, i've had to walk back to the barn to many times to pull one or the other out. Does that mean the Dodge suspension is better, no it doesn't, just means it has it's place. If you don't want to compare apples to apples, show up to any monster truck rally with your humvee and let me know how you do against all the sfa trucks. There is no front end suspension that is bullet proof.

Talk to me again when your crappy auto hubs leave you out stranded on an ant hill, Dunnes was IFS sucked I gave him the best IFS system available to show him it must not be crap if one of the ultimate go anywhere high mobility miltirary vehicles have them. The truck in my sig and my 07 are both IFS so I don't have to compare them to a humvee they aren't built to go out and play in the mud or sand they are built to pull. In rough a humvee will kick there ass, on a long heavy pull either of my trucks will woop a humvee, and if they don' that is what the duece and a half is for it is SFA Rockwell and rides terible but will go anywhere.

Back