• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bellowing black smoke and missing

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
DS-4 Fuel had seemed to be increasing over about a month now evidenced by increase of black smoke. Now I have a massive amount of bellowing black smoke and miss in the 6.5td.

No codes, starts easy, shakes and puts down a black smoke screen.....does not stall.

It boosts ok.

HELP!

Last edited:
Double check air intake make sure your not plugging air filter, or no boost loss post turbo.
Check oil level / cdr make sure not burnin some oil.

Do you have means to read called for vs actual fuel?

Crack injectors listening for the individaul miss- maybe an injector leaking some? If you find 1 cylinder doing it- swap that injector with another cyinder to see if it follows the injector. Note injector build up while swapping.

Double check air intake make sure your not plugging air filter, or no boost loss post turbo.
Check oil level / cdr make sure not burnin some oil.

Do you have means to read called for vs actual fuel?

Crack injectors listening for the individaul miss- maybe an injector leaking some? If you find 1 cylinder doing it- swap that injector with another cyinder to see if it follows the injector. Note injector build up while swapping.

I measure boost @ intake seems OK.
CDR seems to be OK, oil level OK.
I can read fuel rate.
The exhaust black smoke seemed to increase over a few weeks however the truck ran OK and gauges were all reading normal and fuel efficiency went down.

I had throttled hard to get on a 55 mph road then the diesel started missing and billowing black smoke cloud at all speeds, I went home and massive amount of black smoke @ idle...

Well, restarted the diesel after cool down and its billowing white smoke now got to read fuel rate of 9.0 at rough idle then shut it down before it warmed up really bad miss or two......

Your concern now is if it had enough fuel to bellow black smoke at idle, and now you have white smoke is you may have shortened some rods from all the fuel hydrolocking the cylinders. Do the compression test to make sure you didnt shorten any rods.

Your concern now is if it had enough fuel to bellow black smoke at idle, and now you have white smoke is you may have shortened some rods from all the fuel hydrolocking the cylinders. Do the compression test to make sure you didnt shorten any rods.
Hopefully, no shortened rods.
I'm baffled as to what could cause all that fuel in the first place.

Failed injector that's too pooped to pop so it just pees? Unatomized fuel would smoke black like a mother at idle on a warm engine and would do what you described. With a cold engine, that fuel would burn in the exhaust and come out white, just like when we would lay white screening smoke with our tanks and APCs by the smoke generator injecting raw diesel into the exhaust manifold to spew billowing clouds of white smoke out our exhausts and thus obscure the battle field.

And that would be your miss, too. Could also be a piece of crap somehow in the fuel system made it all the way down and now has the pintle in the nozzle off its seat - not allowing it to build internal pressure and then pop. Instead, as the IP builds pressure for that injector, it just pisses out the stuck pintle instead of ramping up and voila! Black, smokey, incomplete combustion and a miss by a cylinder not pushing its weight around, so to speak.

I had forgotten my appointments at the VA yesterday, they found a tear in my l/s rotator cuff how it happened is anyone's guess, anyway I'll at that diesel today.

It ain't so bad. Four or five 1/2" incisions. By the time the nerve block wears off eight hours later it doesn't matter. A few weeks in the sling, a few months of non-painful PT and you WILL be better than new.

Must be nice, nerve blocks don't work on me. I felt EVERYTHING when I had my carpal tunnel surgery done. To top it off, 10 weeks later and my hands virtually un useable.

Back