• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bellowing black smoke and missing

Must be the anesthesiologist. The nerve block was done before being put under general anesthesia for the shoulder repair. They want you motionless while they scope you and do the ol' snip and tuck!

Finally removed all 8 injectors no stuck or fouled nozzles or broken springs etc. however injector #5 maybe leaking fuel as that
pre-chamber is wet, will be doing compression test later today or tomorrow....

#5 is not alive! That there may just be your culprit. How did you ascertain that none of the injectors were stuck or nozzles fouled? The needle being off the seat even .001" will leak and not allow the internal pressure to build until it "pops" and shoots a high-pressure burst of atomized diesel into the prechamber. I would swap out the #5 injector for a known good one and then test drive and see if the black smoking abates and the idle miss disappears.

#5 is not alive! That there may just be your culprit. How did you ascertain that none of the injectors were stuck or nozzles fouled? The needle being off the seat even .001" will leak and not allow the internal pressure to build until it "pops" and shoots a high-pressure burst of atomized diesel into the prechamber. I would swap out the #5 injector for a known good one and then test drive and see if the black smoking abates and the idle miss disappears.
I did visual inspection and disassembled each injector to see condition of needle/seat, I expected to see something but did not however the nozzle body is stuck inside #5 injector housing. I will check for internal body cracks on #5 or just replace the whole injector, install all new nozzles pop test & install.

#5 precombustion chamber being wet is a smoking gun (pun intended) that that injector was most limely amiss (another). Now, after changing it out, if your symptoms persist, pull it and inspect the chamber again. If it's still wet, start thinking IP.

#5 precombustion chamber being wet is a smoking gun (pun intended) that that injector was most limely amiss (another). Now, after changing it out, if your symptoms persist, pull it and inspect the chamber again. If it's still wet, start thinking IP.
That's my train of thought, thanks........

Back