• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT Dyno #2

I like the gear selection of a manual over an auto. I've driven a lot of auto's that shift points were downright unpredictable. I dont think I'd enjoy that when towing. Plus why spend the coin on a built auto that at worse case scenario, a upgraded clutch would hold just fine in a manual. I'm still running a stock clutch in mine with no problems. For fuel economy and reliability, I'm just gonna stick with my 5 speed. I'm not lazy yet :)

I like manual for the dependability, also I can pull start, or push start the truck even if the battery is low. Just another benefit.

A properly built auto does not shift whenever or however it feels like. It is much more controlled than the stock junk. Also when i lock my convertor i am putting as much power down as any manual trans ....

Well, there is power loss in spinning the heavy coverter itself, and then some slipping is possible and probable even when locked. So its not exactly the same as a manual.

Well, there is power loss in spinning the heavy coverter itself, and then some slipping is possible and probable even when locked. So its not exactly the same as a manual.

My southbend flywheel/clutch weighs just as much as a converter... and with a good built tranny: ATS/Suncoast you will have no slipping when its in lockup. You're right, its not exactly the same as a manual... its superior.

A manual is preferable in a few situations. Mainly cost... if you don't have money for an auto, you can get by with a manual as long as you are sub 700tq range and keep decent reliability.

My southbend flywheel/clutch weighs just as much as a converter... and with a good built tranny: ATS/Suncoast you will have no slipping when its in lockup. You're right, its not exactly the same as a manual... its superior.

A manual is preferable in a few situations. Mainly cost... if you don't have money for an auto, you can get by with a manual as long as you are sub 700tq range and keep decent reliability.

Exactly!!! An if you have any slippage in lockup you have a problem that needs addressed quickly same as if the clutch is slipping on a manual ...

Makes no difference! You talked about tuning transmissions,that's how it's done on stock one's ....

It does make a difference, a stock 4L80E, regardless of controller tuning, which I did not talk about here, is going to have more losses than a stock manual transmission. I think it can be proven in drivetrain loss comparisons with other vehicles. The dyno pretty well proves that too, its a drivetrain and slipping loss. An auto could still smoke a guy manually shifting because human shifting is not as fast. That part doesnt have to do with drivetrain loss, its just the fact there is a human in the loop.

It does make a difference, a stock 4L80E, regardless of controller tuning, which I did not talk about here, is going to have more losses than a stock manual transmission. I think it can be proven in drivetrain loss comparisons with other vehicles. The dyno pretty well proves that too, its a drivetrain and slipping loss. An auto could still smoke a guy manually shifting because human shifting is not as fast. That part doesnt have to do with drivetrain loss, its just the fact there is a human in the loop.

Wrong! In lockup there is No power loss!

It takes around 1hp to keep the oil pump in an auto trans going. Other than that, I wouldn't mind hearing explained exactly how the auto is robbing more power when it is in lockup.

you can manipulate a manual way better than an automatic. And im with slim. When ur truck cant start, lets see you pull start that thing with an automatic. I find manuals far superior to even a built automatic. Its pointless to overspend for a automatic when a simple clutch upgrade can get the job done. Plus the cost to repair or replace an auto is much higher. Unless ur drag racing or just lazy, i find automatics pretty worthless. Plus shifting is becoming a lost art since everything is automatic anymore to cater to the increasing number of people who refuse to learn to drive a manual. Why should you have to lock the converter to make that power? Manuals are a lot more fun

Some people enjoy it. I have a use for manuals and autos. I cant stick my nv4500 in 1st with it tied to my irrigation system and let it pull when the pivot cycles, in the same sense ive never had an auto that I could hook a flat bed trailer behind, tie the wheel straight, stick in 4lo x 1st and let it creep while i load or unload fence posts.

Why cant we all just agree to disagree, this is a dyno oriented thread not a tranny bickering match.

Nice results I hope my 93 can do similar.

True. I actually wouldn't mind some more dyno discussion. And thank you. I've put a lot of work into my truck and glad you guys enjoy these dyno runs and results. This won't be my final dyno run. I plan to make one more before the summer is up with a goal of 300rwhp and 500ft lbs. As soon as I can get into the shop and tweak and mod a little bit, I think I can squeeze another bit of horsepower to crest the 300rwhp mark. I got some idea's I'm gonna try out that should bring my torque up enough with my horsepower that I will crest 500ft lbs so stay tuned. I will be sure to keep you guys updated as I go along. Hopefully I can get some pics when I am in the shop of what will be going on but I am gonna be pretty busy for a while so it won't be for a few weeks or so.

impressive numbers, expecially seeing the difference from the gm3 and the ATT with the correct housing. both runs were with your injectors set at 2300psi pop pressure correct?

yes. Both runs with the ATT were with my 2300psi pop injectors. When i went to them from my old stock ones, i felt a noticable increase in low end torque and slightly less smoke. It wasnt a huge increase in low end but i did notice it.

I'd taken an auto trans any day in a truck over a manual. They arnt for racing that's forsure. An automatic will shift way faster then a human can. Now cars are a different stick is way smaller and everything is closer for fast shifting. Our 06 jetta TDI 5 speed is a blast to drive. But at the end of a long day when I'm tired or its -25 and the truck is still cold the last thing I wanna do is work a clutch shifting. Also being a rig welder and having many people all the time moving my truck while I'm 40 feet in the air welding is a must for the auto due to in experienced people.

Back