• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT Dyno #2

The intake temps are lower with an ATT, but I wouldnt call them low in the mid 200s under sustained boost. For every 1 degree you cool the intake air, the cylinder temp will be decreased 3 degrees (because of compression). The reason an intercooler would be good is because you have a non-wastegated turbo, so cannot control max boost. An intercooler will lower your boost at the same amount of spooling, because it will make the same amount of air more compact when colder. So it will help lower your boost if was getting high, and the higher the boost the more heat the turbo transfers to the intake air charge. Intercoolers are a safer way to get more air mass without more air pressure.

The intake temps are lower with an ATT, but I wouldnt call them low in the mid 200s under sustained boost. For every 1 degree you cool the intake air, the cylinder temp will be decreased 3 degrees (because of compression). The reason an intercooler would be good is because you have a non-wastegated turbo, so cannot control max boost. An intercooler will lower your boost at the same amount of spooling, because it will make the same amount of air more compact when colder. So it will help lower your boost if was getting high, and the higher the boost the more heat the turbo transfers to the intake air charge. Intercoolers are a safer way to get more air mass without more air pressure.
I could see and feel it this weekend, in the am when the outside air was cooler Brutus pulled harder and EGTs were lower in the late afternoon when the temps were up you could feel the difference on the grades, just not quite as happy, im looking at doing some sort or intercooler in the near future

I just can't warrant it now and probably never will. The fact I'm make 274 at the wheels without one is good enough for me. I want the higher boost to maintain high cylinder pressures. I live at 5200ft above sea level at work around 6000ft. My motor makes decent power but it still is a little laggy until the turbo lights from the lack of air. It runs best with boost.

Oh, and no i didn't Slim, if you guys are waiting for it I really am going to try to get it up tomorrow. It's on my other computer and my camera deleted it after uploading it so I cant just plug my camera in. I have to switch everything over to get internet (no wifi), and it is kind of a pain in the ass. I really am aiming for tomorrow sometime after I get off work. Expect it then.

I have an hx40 just sitting in the box. My build won't be done for a while and was considering going a different route now. If you need for testing purposes let me know.

I may but if I end up going the testing route, I will probably just bone up and buy one. Might as well. I have other uses for one anyways. And I have to upload the video to youtube or it wont let me upload it here, so I am uploading it to youtube real quick, and by real quick, it says 230 minutes remaining. It might as well be tomorrow then haha but yeah, I am working on uploading the video. Ahh, the joys of slum internet.

So the basis of using an intercooler is known, colder air is more dense (has more oxygen). You can get the same air mass with less air pressure by making the intake air temp is colder. Making it colder or increasing pressure are both ways to increase the air mass, both used because the volume of the engine is fixed. Its air mass that you care about when getting good mix with fuel.

In general, I also do not recommend an intercooler, but depends on the goals and use of the vehicle.

Ok, here is the video. It was taken off my GoPro Hero 2 since I forgot my camera and this is all I had laying around. It didnt turn out bad. I made two pulls in this video.....kinda. The first "pull" was a test run to make sure all equipment was working properly and I only took it to about 3300rpm. The next run was the first real run I made. He had me get into 4th gear and at 1500rpm, go wide open throttle and I didn't let off until 4000rpm. If you listen close after the second run you can hear him say "274". After the second pull, the rest of the video is just garbage. We were waiting for the printout of the graph that we never ended up getting since the printer broke. Hope you enjoy it

[video=youtube;efpceE-4ha0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpceE-4ha0[/video]

Awesome..

Now are you still doing this with a stock lift pump and stock 1/4" line between the FFM and Injection pump .. ?? If you are, I wonder how much improvement could be had with the walbro pump from Leroy and modded FFM to a 3/8" outlet and a 3/8" inlet to the injection pump ... Maybe enough to the 300 rwhp mark.

Mike

Thanks for sharing and compiling all this great information! I can't wait to see what happens in the quest for HP!

Thanks for the info 6.5

It is clear to me that if i want power, a manual trans is a good first step.
I would be very interested to see you on the rollers with any hx40 turbo.

And I think a manual transmission is best. I've said it before and I'm die hard about it, automatics eat power

And I think a manual transmission is best. I've said it before and I'm die hard about it, automatics eat power

Two Identical trucks. One with a manual, and one with an auto. The auto will dust the manual every day of the week, while putting less to the wheels on a set of rollers.

well yeah, we all kinda know that. Shift time and not losing boost win every time in a drag race. But when im towing i want that much m ore power to the ground. I refuse to ever own another automatic

Maybe you guys should spend the coin on a built tranny. Then you would never think about a manual ever again.

Back