• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT and KOJO tune for my 97

Old turbo off (what a PITA)

Had to cutoff wheel the turbo mounting studs and nuts (they were all mush)
The inside front stud was a real treasure, thank goodness for a HD dremel to reach in there and chip away at it :eek:

ATT mounted!! :D
Only unforseen (minor) issue is that the mounting holes are too small in the oil drainback tube for the giant allen head screws, so I will take that back apart to ream them out.

I have that in the instructions , did you get a set of instructions ?

I also have a some polished aluminum tubing and rubber connectors leftover from an intercooler project to replace that lovely orange hose ):h ):h

? hose? I admit it is not bling but it is fully functional. If we offered something different for more money, over the discount price for DTR members would that be an option. I have gotten quotes for different hoses but the price of silicone hose is not cheap. Would it be worth the extra cost?

When I have manifold off, I'll get it bead blasted for a little show & shine (got a buddy who offered to do it for free) I'll take a pic when done

Dan - how did you do the IP end of FTB (drill out and change fittings) without removing the manifold?

C'mon KOJO and FTB, the hard part is done!!

Hey - if anyone wants my old turbo (AS-IS - has 200k, endplay, and needing mounting studs) FOR FREE, they can come and get it NO SHIPPING
If I can locate the new unused rebuild kit for it that would be $50, (cost $100 new)

More hose / intake options might become available if there is enough interest or there may be an option to delete the hose and you can get your own setup. These are all options to discuss, silicone is not cheap. :eek:

Dan - I was talking about this:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=572&highlight=feed+beast&page=4

Is this not important to do? I am getting confused

Slim - no offense intended! I am just excited to use some leftover pieces to spruce up the install (polished aluminum tube and "chevy blue" connectors look smokin' hot!!) Perhaps my enthusiam (and sense of humor):h):h) came across incorrectly, my apologies, the turbo looks great!

Last edited:
No offense taken just wondering if the options should be explored? Been wondering if I should pay the money for a molded silicone hose. Dang silicone is expensive. :eek:

Doc made a house call!

Turbine Doc stopped by to lend a hand with the ATT install, can't thank him enough for taking the time!

The "couple quick things" (famous last words!) ended up taking way longer than expected, so I'm not quite fininshed yet.

Had exhaust issues (had nothing to do with new turbo). Muffler shop welded everything up SOLID to fit previous setup, and left things with no play to match up to the new turbo exhaust outlet.

As a matter of fact, the downpipe was leaning against the crossover (leaving no wiggle room on that side), the tailpipe was rubbing on the frame (no room to move there) and the exhaust tubing was rubbing on the frame crossmembers in the bed!! ALL WELDED SOLID!! :mad2:

Sawzall time, made one cut to free things up, and everything lined up as it should. Is it okay to shoot someone if they really, really deserve it? Thanks alot MIDAS!

So I need to patch that up to try it, and since Tim was gracious enough to do the hard part of FTB, I need to get those parts in to get rolling again

Can't wait (like a kid at Christmas)!!

And Tim, much appreciated my friend!!!! :tiphat

Rolling Again with ATT and FTB!

After a couple snafu's, Old Yeller is on the road again, now with an A-Team Turbo and the Feed the Beast mod!!

Much in part to Turbine Doc, who insists that removing that pesky inner fender is somehow better than swearing, bruising and bleeding. What fun is that?? :nono:

Snafu's were simple but time consuming things. Tranny lines leaking where exhaust dropped on them and I also tightened a clamp on a non-flat spot that caused an oil leak

I pre-oiled the turbo and followed the break in procedure, and took it for a ride exactly as it was with the GM-8 (see signature) . EGT re-install was last the list to do, so no readings there.

Here are honest, real world results of ATT and FTB on my truck (yes with 3" exhaust, crossover, no kitty, and "welded" Thrush muffler (Flowmaster clone), IT SOUNDS SWEET!):

ATT, FTB and boost fooler - Wow! A bit of smoke at take off and then you feel the boost build. The 5-10lb boost range pulls WAY harder than my GM8 set at 12 with TM. Bit of an exhaust haze until turbo spools up. Locked up in OD, this beast roars from 60 to 90+(ran out of road with more left in it!), it feels like like a carb with vacuum secondaries opening when you hit the sweet spot, like it suddenly has another gear at 70mph . Very impressed (and this with stock programming). If the KOJO (or Heath) tune can clean up the extra fuel down low, clear up the haze, and bring back some of the bottom end snap, I will be a VERY happy camper!:thumbsup:

I have my boost fooler on quick disconnect plugs, so I tried it without it also:
Much smoother and non-hazy down low, still pulls hard to 80+mph. I left the truck in this safer feeling config until I get the EGT probe installed (or KOJO tune gets here)

So far so good, come on KOJO tune!! Is it coming by sled dogs, sea turtles or what?):h

Last edited:
So far so good, come on KOJO tune!! Is it coming by sled dogs, sea turtles or what?):h

It is coming by usps, I think they are just teasing you, couz it was in NY last tuesday.. (and would been there long time ago if i would had ecm earlier..)

USPS? That explains it! Sled dogs might have been better

I wonder if they dropped it at my old business address... Any tracking info? I'll call post office...

Re: Tracking info
Stuck in NYC "USPS ISC" since August 3rd, noOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you guys did your job right, now lets wait for this....

Your item arrived in the United States in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 4:48 pm on August 03, 2010. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Inbound International Arrival, August 03, 2010, 4:48 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Foreign International Dispatch, August 03, 2010, 9:36 am, HELSINKI, FINLAND
Foreign Arrival at Outward Office, August 03, 2010, 7:32 am, HELSINKI, FINLAND
Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

:mad2:

Last edited:
Here in Ontario, Cda, one tons have to undergo the opacity(snap) test for emissions .In view of comments on smoke at spool up wondering if any one with an ATT has had to do the opacity test & how they made out?

They use that opacity test here in finland too, both trucks what i know here with ATT (i think here is one ATT what i dont know) have passed that test fine

Yes. First truck is my own and another is Kuutio's truck, both have had my chips many years, and through many inspections.

I guess my bottom line question is, would vehicle pass without having the tune, ATT only installed ?

I think it depends on your timing curve. Some of the trucks, even HDs had some nonsense where timing advance was half as much as others, litterally, most were about 8.5-9 degrees, up to 11 degrees in OBDII, but some 94/95 had 4.5-5 degree timing advance at idle. Thats a HUGE swing on timing, multiply by two for at the crank, so many OBDII trucks have 22 degrees advance at idle, compared to 9 degrees on some OBDI trucks. That extra advance makes the truck much snappier in throttle response and less smoke. If you have less than 8.5 degrees advance at idle I would be getting a retune, especially with the ATT.

HOLY $H**!!

Just got the KOJO tune PCM installed. Truck immediately sounded much quieter (do I need to do a relearn or something?), like a stocker, could barely tell it was a diesel

Did not need to do anti-theft on this WT no frills model (who would steal Old Yeller anyway?)

I also noticed earlier today that the ATT is loosening up (getting to boost quicker) as it wears in a bit

Took a couple part throttle runs, then let her loose

HOLY $H**!!

Never seen the far side of a hundred before in this beast, AND IT WAS STILL PULLING

Gotta wait till daylight to see if smoke/haze have eased up also

Wow, I am absolutely, amazed. AND this is with a 3 inch exhaust and muffler, and I haven't yet boxed back in the air intake to get only cold air!!

Back