• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anybody Near Az this is a nice truck

Come on up to Saskatchewan....we'll go for a ride....yeah we can hook up a trailer or a combine too if you'd like....not braggin on the 6.5 but it can definately hold its own against any stock LB7 or stock 95 Cummins (same year as my rig)....

Stock LB7, Stock 12v or VP Cummins, stock 7.3 Stroke. But forgot about hanging in there with a LLY, LBZ, LMM, Common-rail Cummins, maybe you'd have a chance against a 6.0 Stroke but lets not get ahead of ourselves guys. For what some of you have into your 6.5's your coulda came close to buying a low-mileage LLY like mine.

...For what some of you have into your 6.5's your coulda bought a low-mileage LLY like mine.

I really don't follow Duramax selling prices, but I just did a quick price check (aisle five!) and am inclined to reject your claim.

$4,900.00 will get you a nice looking 1996 6.5TD, which, btw, has some really good mods on it already!:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/827407935.html

$1,900.00 will get you a starter 6.5 to get your feet wet (seems rather low, and "starter" means you will need to do some serious work most likely):
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/819664665.html

Even if you put in a whole new rebuilt engine, you are still around 10K (which, btw, is NOT what most people are doing). Instead, you can do some of the really good mods for 2K and some change, and be under $8,000.00. Now I know we all spend more, but c'mon- it is a truck and sky is the limit!!

Using the same search criteria, I did NOT find one Duramax for under $15,000.00 (not including salvage titles). Of course, YMMV, and I am the first to say that anyone, if they look long enough, can find good deals. It is just that the 6.5TD deals are much more easy to find :hurray::hurray:

EDIT: WAIT- stop the press! I just found 8 Duramax fuel injectors for the bargain price of $1,800.00 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/823835127.html
That is a full $100.00 less than the entire 1994 6.5TD linked above!

Wow, you cant read, fairly certain I said for what some people are dumping into there 6.5's including purchasing price could of just bought a Duramax and been far ahead of the game.

No, I can read. :hand:

I just totally reject your claim (per my post above).

Jon

Wow, you cant read, fairly certain I said for what some people are dumping into there 6.5's including purchasing price could of just bought a Duramax and been far ahead of the game.

I came to my senses along time ago, and realized I cant make the 6.5 into something it wont ever be. Thats why theres a Cummins there now, sure the 6.5 is great if you dont care about speed or power are fine with stockish power levels cept for the bolt on here or there, or just dont want to spend any money or have any money to spend. The 6.5 limits are were other stock motors start plain and simple.

I agree with Z79outlaw.

ChrisK, I'm sure your truck will move out. I'm also sure that it's one of the most modded 6.5's I've ever seen, although I really don't follow them tooooo closely to know of many others that are modded. Plus, all 4 of my Duramaxes I've owned in stock form will easily run a 16.722 @ 80.701 MPH. Not knocking your truck by any means, or questioning your integrity for that matter. It's just that I think we're "fighting" a never ending battle.

On edit: Bear in mind that it isn't as if we are acting that we are better than anyone, or who can afford what. I would never go down that road b/c I'm not that disrespectful toward others. But, for what 6.5's were selling for a few years ago, some Duramaxes are now selling for the same. Infact, I bought my first one 4 years ago for $6,500. 01 X-cab LT LB7. Beat up farm truck with high miles, but it gave me a start. You can find them decent nowadays for $10k. Maybe you don't want one and that's fine, but again, it's a never ending battle as far as how much $ can get you to what point, and knowing when to stop.

No, I can read. :hand:

I just totally reject your claim (per my post above).

Jon

Thats fine, I'll look the other way to your intellect, if you arent willing to accept the FACT that some people have spent more than $19K trying to build a 6.5 that will be at stock D-max levels. Building a high horsepower 6.5 with the intentions of competing with modern Stock Common-rail technology, makes about as much sense as planting 400 acres of corn by hand when you have a 12 row corn planter sitting in the shed.

I'm done arguing....some of us CAN afford a DMAX - hell, I could buy a brand new one tomorrow - I choose not to because my 6.5 does everything I need it to do...

I think guys who need a 500 HP daily driver are overcompensating for shortcomings in other areas if you catch my drift....

It is beyond me why Dmax guys or better yet those with anything except a 6.5 want to convince us folly of our choice to remain with the 6.5, here is concept that must be realized, some of us are happy with 6.5 or we would have other engines, so dont come to this house dumping on it, we know it's limits, and issues. if you wanna stay and learn what they can do you are welcome to stay, if you are looking to compare notes in pissin contest do not let door hit you in butt on your way out.

You know now that I think of it sort of like argument more people die in car crashes on the ground, than they do in plane crashes; thats okay if I gotta die let it be in a car I might survive the crash, so it's okay to have a 6.5 that will only pull 18K, if it blows maybe I can afford the repair bill, I can't afford the same bill with a DMAX even a used one. Only person I know with $19K in an engine would be Bill Heath, but that is a whole different level of build most here have.

My Burb is just about stock, reflash-remote driver-exhaust gets 20+ mpg $6500 to buy, and $1500 is in mods, no other full size 9 pass SUV does that, and will run with stock of all the early Diesels easliy and probably get better of some of them.

Oh my apology for my participating in letting this post get so far off track, discussion on which is better is done now. Wanna pick it up in OT lets have a go at it there, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Also, if you look at the stock "F" HP and Torque rating on the 6.5 compared to the 98.5 Cummins 24V motor...they are almost identical.

As for referring to the 6.5 as a "pre-Duramax", that makes no sense whatsoever. They are two completely different class of engine: 6.5 is an IDI with rotary injector pump. Duramax is common rail DI. They are built by two completely different manufacturers and were built for two different purposes altogether.

The 6.5 was never meant to compete with the Duramax. Plain and simple.

Like some of the other guys, I would LOVE a D-max. But for me, I can't afford one right now and the 6.5 keeps plugging along, much to the chagrin of my grandpa. We took my truck on a 400 mile, 6000' elevation gain trip a few weeks ago. The only problem I ran into: It took a bit for the truck to warm up in the 10,000+' temperatures. He couldn't stand that my rig is reliable. *shrug*.

Not trying to diss anyone at all. I love both the Dmax and the 6.5, but for two completely different reasons.

I'm done arguing....some of us CAN afford a DMAX - hell, I could buy a brand new one tomorrow - I choose not to because my 6.5 does everything I need it to do...

I think guys who need a 500 HP daily driver are overcompensating for shortcomings in other areas if you catch my drift....

So thats proof your trying to build a 500 HP 6.5 then? Never before have I read somthing as stupid. Have fun, Im done with this thread.
Bill heath maybe the only one with $19K in a motor, but I never said anyone was getting there trucks for free.:confused5:

Yep - That is a nice truck... Looks like it didn't sell though... Ya might get him to come down a bit now.

Ummmmm - That was the topic - Right?

I wasn't trying to dis anyones trucks....like I said up there, as long as you have american, I like your truck..... Im sorry you guys took it as such.... really..... I knew there were a few parts out there for those engines, just not a lot.... I am glad that you guys are so loyal to your engine... By referring to the engine as a pre-Dmax just covered all the engines because all of them came before the D-Max.... hence pre-dmax.... I promise though I wasn't picking on you guys...

Only negative for me is std cab, extended cab just has so much more room, if in buying mode I'd use that as leverage, on plus side looks like maybe this is a late 96 early 97, a/c is on driver side, and kinda looks like a dual h/o stat setup.

Back