• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anybody Near Az this is a nice truck

Dunnes is kinda not that sharp sometimes, the 6.5 can make it happen if need be it may not run with the big juiced up D-maxes and Cummins but it can hold it's own eaither way. Pre-Duramax is what a 6.5, 6.2 and 5.7 diesels are the are older designs built before the D-max.

And you know what a Buckstop bumper http://www.buckstop.biz/ looks just as purty as the Iron Bull, and probably the max my wussily non go fast "old" 6.5 can handle, oh wait maybe the 6.5 ain't so wussily, I wonder how much is hooked up to that "OLD 6.5" I think I saw a scale slip for 23,900#

and we got a member running sub 16s 1/4 miles with his "no go fast mods for old trucks" , and what is that a 6.5 at Bonneville http://www.heathdiesel.com/RaceTruck08/ and here http://www.maxxtorque.com/excerpts/34-65l-land-speed-racer

Dunes engage brain before inserting foot in mouth, certainly don't dis the 6.5 or earlier with off hand comments you aren't qualified to make, I'll quote John Wayne just before he popped his son in the mouth in Big Jake, "if you won't respect your elders, maybe you'll respect your betters", Us "old engined guys" don't take kindly to visitors to our side of the house when they know not of what they speak.

While we don't have ALL the bells and whistles a DMAX has, we have a few goodies in our bag of tricks to make a 6.5 into a very respecatable machine capable of making those unfamiliar to "old Diesels" sit up and take notice.

Attachments

• 100_0346-B.jpg
    100_0346-B.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DCP03537.jpg
    DCP03537.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
hey hey hey....I never said it was a wussy motor..... It can pull..... I don't know much about the motors, i just don't ever see go fast goodies for them.... That was the point of my post..... it wasn't mean to dis the motors...... I think you should all know by now from my posts that I will joke with GM guys about the IFS...but the only trucks I dis are Jap Trucks

I'll take that as an apology I guess, word of advise never come to a 6.5 forum and post something that can be remotely be construed as a dissin, we have heard it all, and are ready for a fight. A better way to make the entry would have been "hey guys, I don't know much about the 6.5, are their any power mods for it" rather than make a broad statement "no go fast goodies for the pre-Dmax",

They exist, I and a few others have most of em, more coming I think, as this crowd has not given up on the IMO best economical truck Diesel to own/maintain out there, we are really just scratching the envelope what thes babies can do, as evidenced by Bill Heath at Bonneville.

To put in perspective, a DMAX cost in $20k to $40k may be even $50k new and the 6.5 TD is only $5k. So while it won't go fast as Dmax, it is only change compare to Dmax. Most of us could not afford a Dmax and Dmax don't even have Suburban.

Man, you 6.5 guys are ruthless! I've had them, and at the same time as my first Dmax, let's not kid ourselves.

Let the flaming begin!!!

hey hey hey....I never said it was a wussy motor..... It can pull..... I don't know much about the motors, i just don't ever see go fast goodies for them.... That was the point of my post..... it wasn't mean to dis the motors...... I think you should all know by now from my posts that I will joke with GM guys about the IFS...but the only trucks I dis are Jap Trucks

That’s because you are looking at the Dmax sites :eek6:. They are in 2 different classes. There are plenty of 6.5 sites out there that have good upgrades and go fast parts. Do some looking around you might find some things out that you didn’t know :sifone:. These truck a economical in the repair department verses the Dmax.

Man, you 6.5 guys are ruthless! I've had them, and at the same time as my first Dmax, let's not kid ourselves.

Let the flaming begin!!!

no need to flame, prior to introduction of DMax, the performance Diesel market was non exisant or at it's infancy, when the 6.5 crowd saw what was being done there, logically we started asking why won't that work for us so 6.5 stuff then wasn't what it is now, so yup they were slugs, my 6.5 now would have smacked the mess out of your stock Dmax then, now once you start modding the Dmax it gets "interesting" as the most tweaked 6.5s will be at slightly better than stock early Dmax-Stroke-Cummins, we know that limit and live to it all day long, No arguments, nor flames required at all.

To give a little perspective:

My buddy drives an 08 GMC Dmax and I have my 94 K1500 6.5TD. He has a few performance upgrades, as do I. We both love to wrench, but are not mechanics by trade (however, he owns his own construction business, so he is much more technically inclined than I am).

I love driving in his truck, and so does he. He also loves the bare necessity and easy-to-troubleshoot nature of my truck. His truck is under warranty, so he is very hesitant to mess with the drive train. In fact, he routinely comes over on weekends to monkey with my rig. You will not be penalized if, in a DIY moment, you screw something up on a 6.5TD. For our trucks, it would mean a couple hundred towards the school of hard knocks. For a Dmax, multiple that by 5.

In addition, we both go to Mexico often, and hit the dirt down there: his truck chokes hard on the Mexican diesel but my GMC rarely has a problem (and yes- we check our fuel filters). Further, we have had some off-road repairs in the brush, and it is a snap wrenching on the 6.5. Not so much with his Dmax.

You are right about having less goodies, but we do have a lot from a few vendors (i.e. Heath/Kennedy/SSD) and if 0-60 or the quarter mile is your only indicator of capacity then again we will never compete. Keeping some perspective, and approaching the 6.5 TD with full awareness of its short-comings (and necessary fixes), these old trucks are darn adaptable, (can be with preparation) extremely reliable, and very easy to work on for the DIY crew.

Just my 2 cents from a very happy 6.5TD'er (who also occasionally curses at his truck :sifone:

Jon

Last edited:

Looks like we have a real winner here.....:willynilly:

You have proven you don't know much about these 'engines'....now go back to DMAX land please....:seeya:

Oh and PS - read some of our sigs on the way out....most have one or two 'go fast goodies' on their rigs...

*Sigh*. I LOVE my Tahoe, AND the Burb. There's just no way I could fix 'em myself at any reasonable price if they were outfitted with DMax engines. That said, I was filling up the Tahoe yesterday, and a brand-spanking-new DMax Crew Cab, in Black, with a mild lift, with custom wheels and tires pulls up, and the guy is chatty. He ended up saying "WOW. Is that a diesel. That is awesome." I laughed, and told him I was oogling his rig. He laughed as well. He just kept looking at it and saying "Wow. I've rarely seen a Tahoe that nice... and a diesel. Nice."

Anyway, my point is that I agree with you guys. Love both rigs. Don't see the problem with go-fast stuff. Mine goes plenty fast, and when I REALLY want to go fast, I bolt myself into the RX7 FD and do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, with .98 skidpad. That gets a little white knuckle action going.

Bottom line is that I think the Tahoe and Burb go PLENTY fast. I've gotten a speeding ticket in the burb. I don't see the problem. :) There's plenty of go-fast add-ons.

Rob :)

I honestly don't think it was intended to offend those with 6.5's. I know I'm not getting blamed, but I didn't mean to either. Time and technology change for the better, period. I honestly don't thing too many modded 6.5's will hang with any stock Dmax, or any newer diesel for that matter, and especially reliably do so. Like I said, I've had them and they are no powerhouses. In stock form, there is no way they can perform the duties of the other brands of the time IMHO.

I honestly don't thing too many modded 6.5's will hang with any stock Dmax.

Come on up to Saskatchewan....we'll go for a ride....yeah we can hook up a trailer or a combine too if you'd like....not braggin on the 6.5 but it can definately hold its own against any stock LB7 or stock 95 Cummins (same year as my rig)....

Back