• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Adventure Vehicles NW vs Autoworld Motor Mounts

Do you mean with regards to spacing?

The quality of the SSOR mounts is second to none: all laser cut and fully TIG welded. They clearly work in his conversions, and I believe the OP of this thread didn't have any issues, however I count 2 people that have contacted me with regards to this exact same problem.
I think that's what he meant.

YUP. LOL

Hey guys. I apologize for my absence. I'm currently deployed. Ok, so let me solve some things:

1) Jonesy's mounts aren't awful, however I had an issue with my oil pan contacting one of my lift kit braces due to the motor mount walking around. I also wanted the SSOR mounts from the beginning, but at the time, the budget didn't allow for it.

2) I love the SSOR mounts. However, they are off. I fixed this issue by hand threading each bolt a couple threads, then slowly tightening all 16 bolts at once. I had my buddy on one side of the engine tightening the passenger side while I was tightening the driver side. It was a long process. However, this slowly pulled down that 1" gap evenly per side. I will get pics of the result of this when I get back to the states. Whenever that happens to be.

I believe there's a lot of unneeded stress on those mount bolts now tho. I plan on fixing this when I swap the 5.9 12v for a 6.7 p pump motor. I will re-address this issue at that time as well. Unfortunately, I don't know how to weld. I can mock up parts, but can't weld. So I plan on hiring a mobile welder to come out & help me for a day & do all of the welding I need. My father owns a plasma table, so I'm going to have a lot of custom parts made to help me with my project.

Well, it's very frustrating that every person who has ordered them has gotten hosed. I think his design is definitely the best on the market, however this fitment issue is definitely not what I, nor any of us would have expected for $400.

I’ll be sending an email shortly. Really bums me out. I may wait a bit as the economy has hit the skids, I hate to knock a dude when he’s down. I’m sure there aren’t many new Cummins conversions starting now or soon.

Quick update on my '98 K3500. After talking with usanumber1 a couple weeks ago, I ended up buying some 1" plate steel and making a spacer to go between the block and the driver's side mount. This got the SSOR mounts really close, but they were still a bit too far off. I would have had to elongate the holes in the frame/mount pad to get anything to line up properly. I also was not happy with the placement of the engine in the bay with any spacer between the block and the mount.

Paul (SSOR) did reach out to me and offer to send me some spacers, which I accepted. They ended up being 1/2" spacers intended to use between the frame pad and the mount (I, of course, removed the 1" spacer I was test fitting before trying these).

A couple friends came over and we spend the next 2-3 hours trying to fit things together and get everything sitting where it needed to. The bolt holes were still a nightmare to line up (as others have reported). We eventually got all 4 bolts in each mount into the frame and thought things were looking good. It wasn't until we set the weight of the engine down on the mounts that we realized we still had a problem. The engine was sitting too high and (a) the oil pan lip was now sitting on the differential slightly and the bellhousing was contacting the firewall/tunnel.

At this point, I was fed up. I've messed with these $400 "bolt-in" mounts for WAY too long. After spending hours and hours of my time trying to fit them, reading about the experiences here, and discovering more of these same exact issues from folks over on the GM Full-Size Diesel Swap page on Facebook, I called it quits. I'm done with these mounts. It does not matter how awesome these look and how strong they might be if they don't fit. They are NOT worth the hassle, headache and heartburn. SSOR's product needs a bit more R&D before they are ready for mass production, especially for the price. It's a shame; it really is, because they look freaking amazing, but it's the reality of the situation.

Now, for a path forward so I can FINALLY get this damn engine mounted in my truck. I called Joel @ Jonesy's. He answered all of my emails QUICKLY, addressed all of my concerns and gave me options to help me with my project timeline. I ordered a set of his conversion mounts, which arrived this evening. If the 1st gen style mounts move around a little bit, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but for now, these will get me moving towards getting my truck back on the road.

I'll update as I [hopefully] make some progress this weekend.

Yeah, I’m gonna give him a call as well and order some. It looks so ugly with that 1” plate on the side, especially after I spent hours and hours trying to tidy the engine bay up as neatly as possible

I have not gone back through this thread to see if the body needs to be lifted three inches to make clearance for the bell housing and etc.
Is that still so ?
I did do some research previous to getting My 2000 K3500 for the just in case the 6.5 took a dump and it seemed that back then everything I read said the body needed a 3" lift kit.

Got some actual progress done today! The AVNW mounts went in very easy compared to the SSOR. Sure, they're just using the Gen1 isolators, but at least I can now continue on with this project! Anyone want to buy some SSOR mounts at a discount?!!? Hehe.

Attachments

• 20200425_190843.jpg
    20200425_190843.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200425_190758.jpg
    20200425_190758.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200425_190749.jpg
    20200425_190749.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 12
Got some actual progress done today! The AVNW mounts went in very easy compared to the SSOR. Sure, they're just using the Gen1 isolators, but at least I can now continue on with this project! Anyone want to buy some SSOR mounts at a discount?!!? Hehe.
Actually, yeah, I'll buy em!

Shoot, if anyone is interested, I still have my AVNW mounts for sale. With rubber insulators. Unfortunately, I am still deployed & not sure when I'll be back. But when I do get back, I'll make sure to post them up.

I have not gone back through this thread to see if the body needs to be lifted three inches to make clearance for the bell housing and etc.
Is that still so ?
I did do some research previous to getting My 2000 K3500 for the just in case the 6.5 took a dump and it seemed that back then everything I read said the body needed a 3" lift kit.
Don’t need a body lift, but they say it makes the swap easier. Do need body lift or a hole in the hood for a driver side A/C compressor.

There are aftermarket polyurethane 1st gen Cummins with better locking tabs in case of mount failure.
https://polybushings.com/pages/2710.html

Yes, he is still in business. I personally had problems with the 1st gen mounts. Due to the offset nature of the studs, the engine was allowed to rotate causing the oil pan to contact the lift kit axle drop crossmember.
20190531_171043.jpg20190531_171126.jpg20190531_174124.jpg
I didnt get pics before I swapped them out for the SSOR mounts, but you can still see how much they are twisting. Multiple times I had to readjust them. That was within the first couple thousand miles. That was unacceptable to me. Yeah, maybe polyeurethan would be better, but given the cummins likes to shake things apart naturally, I wanted minimal vibration. I recently purchased DanteGTZ's set of SSOR mounts & will be having the passenger side extended 1" to help center the engine due to how far off center it is. 20190531_174321.jpg

Agreed. However, I did manage to get them to work despite the said issues. I'm going to contact Paul as I have some prior experience working with him & maybe I can get this resolved for us. If not us, hopefully for future customers.

Back