• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

Not that any member here would pull my leg. :D

Let's see some numbers. Let us know your truck's config or weight.
My truck in my signature averages 16-17 hot-footin' it around town (I don't haul anything, -I just haul butt) ):h

I'm running 285's for tires

GM-4 is wired shut, peak boost levels are around 18-24.

Non intercooled, no WMI, EGT's well below 1000 pre-turbo, runs very well. :thumbsup:

I need a little input from the experts so I came to the forums :playful:
With the truck in my signature I'm averaging a little under 13 MPG. Everyone's saying that these diesels are getting up around 18 MPG easily but I certainly am not. Since I have a 6 Lug K2500 I have a ViN S engine so yes, I have all the emissions garbage. Still has stock intake, stock exhaust, and I have a heavy foot (turbo sounds nice). Just wondering what should be my first steps to improve on my MPG, and dont say take it easy on the throttle cuz we all know that wont happen

Is that 13MPG town/city driving? If so that sounds about like mine, I get about 14 in town if I go easy on it and 13 if I listen to the turbo.........don't get 19-20 unless I am out on the interstate. Mine is a 94 K2500 with a steel flatbed on it so it weighs a bit more than stock.

@KMarlow11
The emissions stuff hurts. The heath tune hurts mpg. turbo master hurts mpg.

There are some things that help both power and mpg. 4” exhaust, larger turbo with less back pressure, coating friction points throughout truck and heat coatings in engine, tuebo and exhaust, good injectors, keeping ect at 195f., timing being correct, wmi, and a few other things.

If you really want low fuel costs- get rid of the ds4 system, use a db2. Run wmo after heated centrifuged and cut with gas.

@smokymtn65 sometimes less is more (fun)!:smuggrin::smuggrin:

My hummer got 10.5 ish without the turbo and 11.5 with it when I drove at same rate of acceleration and speed. That is gm6 and stock hummer exhaust. However it was more fun just driving faster so, back to the 10.5 range it went and with the fuel screw cranked in more than needed, she puffs a broken prius heart symbol if full throttle from a stop. I did turn down the screw for a couple tank fulls and raised it to 12 mpg, but that wasn’t as fun so it went back in.

That said I know from my other 6.5 pickups that I put better turbos on I can have more fun pedal and better mpg. Hopefully that all happens before it rolls out of my garage this time.

If I keep the speedo just below 65, adjusted to the over size tires would be about 67 or 68 mph, it will get 17 mpg which I think is pretty good for a K3500 crew crab.
On the 94 K3500 with NV4500, 4.10 gears, 4 door single rear wheel, I got 18 mpg before I added the ladder rack and side tool boxes. Then I got 16 mpg, Now I am getting 15 mpg.

Last edited:
I need a little input from the experts so I came to the forums :playful:
With the truck in my signature I'm averaging a little under 13 MPG. Everyone's saying that these diesels are getting up around 18 MPG easily but I certainly am not. Since I have a 6 Lug K2500 I have a ViN S engine so yes, I have all the emissions garbage. Still has stock intake, stock exhaust, and I have a heavy foot (turbo sounds nice). Just wondering what should be my first steps to improve on my MPG, and dont say take it easy on the throttle cuz we all know that wont happen

I have been around long enough to remember the national speed limit of 55. Best I ever got was 22 and I have the extended cab version. Usually average around 18 with my set-up. An "F" intake may help or opening up the plenum on the "S". Sorry couldn't be more helpful.

Bringing this thread back to life, hope no one minds! it looks like the average mpg's are around 13-18 for everyone. my truck I have always gotten 13ish from the get go. running 4.10's with 265-75-16 oversize all-terrain tires and my speedo is accurate. each fill up I add about 8 oz of power service additive, always wondered if 2 cycle was better or worse.

Back when I had bought the truck, it had 235's and the speedo was almost 5 off. Whats the general consensus on tire pressures? with the all-terrains I have are rated for 80 max, I have had them at 50 since I had them installed. I'm wondering if I would see any improvements if they were at a higher pressure, maybe ad 65-70psi. though I think I would feel every bump in the road then.

Back