• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

Your gonna be told to throw that filter out. Guys on here talked me into disposing of mine..they said it let's alot of dirt in..sucks because I to got alot better milage with it and turbo spooled better... I tried both the the one that looks like our stock ones and also tried putting the cone style directly on the turbo..man did that open her up.. but ..dirt..😭

Your gonna be told to throw that filter out. Guys on here talked me into disposing of mine..they said it let's alot of dirt in..sucks because I to got alot better milage with it and turbo spooled better... I tried both the the one that looks like our stock ones and also tried putting the cone style directly on the turbo..man did that open her up.. but ..dirt..😭
Yeah I had thought about that too. I had one of those cone style ones too but what made be return it was the hot air it was pulling into the engine. This on is inside the OEM filter box.

as to dust. My engine is pretty much wore out already. Not that I’m trying to make it go quicker but I did coat the tube in a little bit of oil so later I can pull it an inspect it to see how much dust is clinging to the tube before the turbo.

Lol..my turbo stays coated in oil cause of the blow off coming out of the CDR. . what's weird is if you open the oil fill cap she barely has any blow by .... Almost 300k on it...but not sure if it's the original engine

Lol mine puffs some from the oil cap and a tiny bit from the dipstick lol. But it’s not loosing so much oil that I might have to add maybe 2 quarts over the course of the oil change time. So far with the synthetic I haven’t had to add anything yet. BUT. The oil change is still young!

Amazon sells one that was linked on another thread. It’s an exact copy of the provent. You can get the provent filters and use them in it. The Amazon one has a wire mesh screen for a filter. I’ll look for it and post a link

Thought I'd report back. took a trip to Rockport TX on Monday for our 24th anniversary. did my mileage coming home, it was a 192 miles for the trip back along with a couple trips to work and into town thursday and friday. I got 17.7 mpg's the highest I have ever seen on this truck! and that was with running the ac the whole time. It bumped my average on fuely to 14.1. I must have had the wind helping me lol

I do have a question on tires. I have been pondering swapping out the all terrains I have and getting some highway tires installed to help with mileage. I stopped by a tire shop here in town today and talked about what I wanted to do. he took a look at the tires I have and said that it wouldn't make any difference and my mileage wouldn't change any since I am running over size tires to begin with and my tread isn't aggressive. he said the tires I have are built for both highway and light off roading.

Here is the tire I am running on my truck in 265-75-16 116T. suspension is rough though, I still want to do something to soften it up. maybe looking at progressive coil springs or 3/4 ton springs for it all the way around might help.

1652494476768.png

I do have a question on tires. I have been pondering swapping out the all terrains I have and getting some highway tires installed to help with mileage. I stopped by a tire shop here in town today and talked about what I wanted to do. he took a look at the tires I have and said that it wouldn't make any difference and my mileage wouldn't change any since I am running over size tires to begin with and my tread isn't aggressive. he said the tires I have are built for both highway and light off roading.

Here is the tire I am running on my truck in 265-75-16 116T. suspension is rough though, I still want to do something to soften it up. maybe looking at progressive coil springs or 3/4 ton springs for it all the way around might help.

View attachment 74665

Don’t bother. Run those til they are done

Don’t bother. Run those til they are done
Yup, unless You can find someone to buy them for about 3/4 what new tires cost.
My truck has 285/75/R16 and they are terrible. I tried to sell them on a local market place and got not even one call on them. I advertisdd them for $100.00 each. If I couldnt get then, I wear them on down and they can be turned into trailer tires.

suspension is rough though, I still want to do something to soften it up. maybe looking at progressive coil springs or 3/4 ton springs for it all the way around might help.

Could look into something like this for your suspension - https://www.sulastic.com/en/ShowProdSulastic/249188

I've considered it for my F350 dually chassis cab - after everything else is fixed and dependable and paid off, haha.

Could look into something like this for your suspension - https://www.sulastic.com/en/ShowProdSulastic/249188

I've considered it for my F350 dually chassis cab - after everything else is fixed and dependable and paid off, haha.
I had seen those online but they sure are pricey lol. I had talked to one of the guys on the FB group that added air bags to the rear. he posted a pic of the rear suspension showing the leaf springs still installed. I had to ask if that made it hard as a rock!! He replied that the bags lifted the rear so that the weight isn't on the springs as much, the springs were just keeping the rear lined up and was a lot smoother than before. his springs were kinda like mine where they were sagging to the point that the truck sat on the overloads without any added weight in the bed.

I already have air shocks on my rear end so I can lift the rear off the overloads just a tad. that does make it slightly softer but not by a lot. Any more than 60 psi in them hardens the ride. I have been considering pulling my overloads off and running like that with the air shocks until I can replace the rear leaf springs.

I'm sure if I were to fab up an air leveling valve with a small compressor similar to how some of the fancier vehicles are set up and how the road trucks are, it might make a difference and still be on the cheap side of things for the time being. other issue is the front is stiff as well. back when I replaced my lower control arms, I saw just how stout those coil springs are! the diameter of the spring is at least 1 inch!! me being on the side of tipping the scale at 200 lbs, standing on the brush guard doesn't move the front end much.

would anyone know where to find or have the dimensions of the coil springs for these old rigs? height and round stock diameter between the 1 ton and the 3/4 ton? if I ever do get around to it, I think I may try that route along with installing greasable poly LCA bushings.

Back