• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Team Turbo A Year Later

Mine was a performance upgrade from the GLE or MaxiTorque Towing tune with a healthy dose of ATT sprinkled in. Much better.

I have been running the Ateam for about 6 months, along with computer and feed the beast fuel line upgrade from Pat at Walking J designs. I give his products an A++, much more power, I pull a 3 car trailer with a 96 6.5 just hit 247,000 mile. Big hills can be challanging but let the motor do its thing and it gets the job done.

I have been running the Ateam for about 6 months, along with computer and feed the beast fuel line upgrade from Pat at Walking J designs. I give his products an A++, much more power, I pull a 3 car trailer with a 96 6.5 just hit 247,000 mile. Big hills can be challanging but let the motor do its thing and it gets the job done.

Are you towing 77 through fancy gap and Virginia? I travel that a lot and it can be challenging. I am the ATeam owner and I love mine.

Yes 77 is a normal route for me. Deffinatly works the truck and without the ATT I might not be makin that trip

Yeah I love coming north on 77 out of North Carolina that initial hill is a real challenge and it is weird that you can keep the ATT spooled heavy for that long of a time. I like when I am empty and the little ricer cars try to run me down in the fast lane, until they figure out that I am not the average pickup. I love to see them choke trying to catch me.

What are you guys getting for fuel milage when pulling heavy. I seem to be around 7mpg when pulling around 18000 pds (including trailer), Im guessing im overworking the truck pulling this weight through the hills but gotta pay the bills.

What are you guys getting for fuel milage when pulling heavy. I seem to be around 7mpg when pulling around 18000 pds (including trailer), Im guessing im overworking the truck pulling this weight through the hills but gotta pay the bills.

I have been getting around 10-11 mpg towing real heavy but it was never through the hills on 77. Mine was mostly semi level ground with a few smaller hills. 7 doesn't sound to bad for what you are doing. Especially through some of the spots on 77. I think Oregon Horse tug stated his mileage pulling 18000 - 20000 pounds through the mountains was around 9 or 10 mpg. Winter fuel will give you a little lower average though. Still respectable, bet the cummings guys can't believe you do that with your truck.

Tell us some more about your truck, sounds like a real work mule, getting the job done. What year, exhaust and stuff? What kind of engine temps and speeds you go with that load?

12-13 when pulling 18K combined wt hooked up to my backhoe but that is mostly @ sea level not much more than hills to final destination @ 250' or so, I pulled a 8 x12 enclosed trailer up/down Fancy Gap lightly loaded maybe 3K max combined with trailer wt and got same mpg.

When you get a moment update your signature so we know what kind of vehicle setup yours is

96 6.5TD k3500 4x4, 235/85R16 tires, 4:11 gears, Stock 3" exhaust with the exception of no muffler or cat; Front bumper mounted FSD, stock injectors; Rotella 15W-30 oil; Feed The Beast; Kojo Tune,A Team Turbo, 247K original miles; Pretty much stock truck with a few upgrades, I know i need to open exhaust, im sure it will help, When running flat land my temp stays around 165 at roughly 70mph, When i get into the hills temp goes way up to around 200-210 at around 60 mph(if im lucky), there are several areas that I drop down to around 40-45 mph and temp rises up over 210. The truck is most likely pretty tired but it's nice to show the hot shots out there that the 6.5's can hang. I am new to this forumn but i will be sure to update my signature. let me know if anyone has any suggestions to increasing power and lowering temps. How much of a difference will a 4" exhaust make.

I think my 4" made as much difference as the tune did, it was very noticeable. You would most likely notice it even more seeing you already have a tune and the ATT.

I think my 4" made as much difference as the tune did, it was very noticeable. You would most likely notice it even more seeing you already have a tune and the ATT.

Very true, and most people wouldnt believe it. Its a big difference. Also 1996 came with the crummy flat rectangle filter box. That is another restrictor. You would have no trouble keeping it at over 50mph with the exhaust and the newer K47 cylinder filter box, with Amsoil Nanofiber air filter.

Maybe youre not getting better MPGs because it runs too cool. Need to get a 195 degree ACDelco T-stat in there. to keep it around 210F you can upgrade the cooling system, since GM didnt move to a high flow pump and 9-blade fan until 1997. I wrote these recommendations for OBD1 trucks, but most of it applies to the 1996 as well, except the scanner software, OPS and PCM upgrade method.

Attachments

• Mnx&Mods info updated.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
4" exhaust helped my truck run cooler prior to the upgraded waterpump, fan and clutch upgrades as well. Used to go to 210 under its own weight on the longer 6% grades, now, I'm amazed to see it hit anything over 195.

Yeah, I understand that 96 saw mid-year build transitions that "improved" the cooling (pump, dual thermostats etc) along with other things. Apparently, mine wasn't the benifactor of the changes.

Well sat down and read this whole thread :scared1: now my eyes and brain hurt. Getting my 94 Suburban the day after I leave for a month, so won't even get to see it for another month.
Anyway, Im more interested in maximum MPG's Anyone setting up thier rig with that in mind? Im never going to tow and it is all flat down here so expect to see atleast 22-24MPG if not I would be disapointed. My old 93 would do that stock, but no muffler and K&N, this was back when 55mph was the limit.

I'm just getting used to the cc/dually. I started off with 9mpg. Changed tranny fluid and filter and did oil change, then 10.5. Ran cleaner etc and just drove it like normal and now am above 12.2mpg. I have not yet installed the stacks, custom AIT, or other goodies I wanted to transfer over. I can not even tell if this turbo in it even works(can't hear a thing). The rest of this week after tomorrow is supposed to be nice so I should be able to get the stacks, AIT installed and should be able to see more of a difference and be able to hear the turbo then.
My ultimate goal would be the ATT and chipped to be able to gain the best MPG and performance out of this 94. One thing I have found that I miss going from the manually injected (played with) to an electronically controlled IP is my throttle response and immediate power I was used to.
I just can't wait until I get her where I want her to be and I believe I will see better MPG's than what I've seen in ages.

96 6.5TD k3500 4x4, 235/85R16 tires, 4:11 gears, Stock 3" exhaust with the exception of no muffler or cat; Front bumper mounted FSD, stock injectors; Rotella 15W-30 oil; Feed The Beast; Kojo Tune,A Team Turbo, 247K original miles; Pretty much stock truck with a few upgrades, I know i need to open exhaust, im sure it will help, When running flat land my temp stays around 165 at roughly 70mph, When i get into the hills temp goes way up to around 200-210 at around 60 mph(if im lucky), there are several areas that I drop down to around 40-45 mph and temp rises up over 210. The truck is most likely pretty tired but it's nice to show the hot shots out there that the 6.5's can hang. I am new to this forumn but i will be sure to update my signature. let me know if anyone has any suggestions to increasing power and lowering temps. How much of a difference will a 4" exhaust make.

At that good of a hill, 10%, and a 24' trailer to Payson we were getting 7.5 MPG. We would get 11 MPG going a flatter route. Turning up the fuel got us 10 MPH more and the same fuel economy. A TCC override switch will help speed as well. This was with a 4" exhaust and GMx turbo at 14 PSI. Your A-team should do better with a 4". Also this with with a shot extreme blowby engine and good shape engine - same MPG, same speed, same route.

Precups
6.2 large military emission exempt NA vs. 1993 turbo cups:
Smaller ones smoke more under a higher load. Top speed is down 3 MPH loaded with them as well.
MPG is the same far as I can tell loaded. Also larger 6.2 exhaust valves play in this and may overcome the smaller precups some.

with that many miles have you removed and cleaned radiator and flushed out AC cond while radiator is out? They can have a great deal of dirt in them and not look that dirty. Then exhaust and cooling upgrades. Also, use some kind of water wetter; I use Nalcool. There is one made by Royal Barney...err Purple also.

Back