• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Not exactly the night I was hoping for but not bad overall I guess. First I hooked up the fuel lines to the FFM. Next I decided to heed FellowTraveler's warning and remove the ball valve. I could have just left it open and been fine, but it seems I always need ball valves for projects so I didn't see a reason to keep one tied up where it's not being used. I also wasn't real pleased with the routing of the hose - it was kinda close to the downpipe and I had it tied up, so not the nicest routing. I decided to make an elbow at the heater core to kick the hose up right away. You can get plastic elbows at the parts store, but I wasn't real keen on plastic being down there so I used two 3/4" heater hose nipples and a 1/2" pipe elbow. Unfortunately while removing the hose I loosened the pipe in the core so that's a leak ready to happen :rage:. I guess the bright side is that I thought the core was starting to get kind of plugged again from the craptastic Dexcool so this will take care of that. It was also a Spectre core from Autozone and when I put it in last year I didn't like the way it fit, so tomorrow I'm going to pick one up from NAPA. So once I was stuck with the cooling system I decided to move on to battery cables. I got that about half way done before I ran out of heat shrink tube. The stuff I bought earlier today wasn't big enough to fit over 1/0 wire so there I was stopped again. The last thing I accomplished was fit the intake to the turbo. Holy crap this filter is big!!! I cut a piece of leftover 4" exhaust pipe to connect the filter to the silicone elbow. It's gonna be a challenge to fit a box around this thing but I'm still going to give it a shot later this year. So in light of recent developments I'm not sure it will be running tomorrow night but I'm still hoping for Thursday night. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Awesome and then some more.

Just a reminder , rotational flow of your engine cooling fan throws most of the air from the radiator core up and to the passenger side of engine bay onto that exposed air filter. Thin sheet metal riveted to aluminum corner molding then topped w/heat barrier is best bet for an air box.

Awesome and then some more.

Just a reminder , rotational flow of your engine cooling fan throws most of the air from the radiator core up and to the passenger side of engine bay onto that exposed air filter. Thin sheet metal riveted to aluminum corner molding then topped w/heat barrier is best bet for an air box.
Yup that's pretty much what I have in mind. To your point, it would be a good idea (and an easy start) to at least get an initial barrier installed to keep the fan wash off the filter and then build off that later to make a completely enclosed box.

Yup that's pretty much what I have in mind. To your point, it would be a good idea (and an easy start) to at least get an initial barrier installed to keep the fan wash off the filter and then build off that later to make a completely enclosed box.
You might want to consider opening intake runner inside the fender w/5" diameter hole saw and blocking it at the old opening so it can't force air into area of battery is now cover old opening with sheet metal.

You might want to consider opening intake runner inside the fender w/5" diameter hole saw and blocking it at the old opening so it can't force air into area of battery is now cover old opening with sheet metal.
I see what you're saying there. I'll check it out.

Lesson learned today regarding the heat shrink tubing. I went to NAPA to get some stuff big enough for 1/0 wire. First, the kid behind the counter wouldn't believe me that the tubing that was labeled in the catalog as being for "2-4/0" was the stuff I wanted...he wouldn't listen that "4/0" is a size. They didn't have what I needed in stock regardless. So I went to the electric supply place that I drove past to get to NAPA and they had what I needed, and not only that, I got a 4 foot chunk for $8! It cost me almost that much to get the Dorman assorted packs from Autozone yesterday that didn't have what I needed. Now I know where I'm going for electrical supplies!

Yup, using the proper source definitely saves time, and money. I don't buy batteries from the auto parts either, as we have a Continental Battery warehouse here, and for the 3 year free replacement 850 CCA batteries for my truck, they're $88. At the auto parts they're $130.:eek:
Your getting closer all the time Nate! :)

Matt

Ok she's very nearly ready to go!! I replaced the heater core, redid my heater hoses, filled the cooling system with Rotella Ultra ELC and distilled water, installed the intake and finished my battery cables. I used 1/0 for all supply and main grounds and 4 gauge for alternator and fuse block supply. I should have nice juice everywhere now. For tomorrow I just need to hook up my fuel pressure gauge in the cab, fill her up with tranny fluid and redo my fuel pump relay wiring. I was dumb and tried to hook the relay up by the OPS, but it's not kicking on at initial key on. Duh what I needed to do was use the existing fuel pump circuit as the trigger for the relay!! So I'll be redoing that tomorrow. So close I can taste the diesel!! I'm excited...and a bit nervous too. I'm seeing another sleepless night ahead of me. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Very nice work on your battery cables Nate, and I'll bet she spins over very enthusiastically now! I'm somewhat envious of you right now, as your at my favorite stage of a project. Preparing to bring it to life! Try getting some sleep tonight. :D

Matt

Very nice work on your battery cables Nate, and I'll bet she spins over very enthusiastically now! I'm somewhat envious of you right now, as your at my favorite stage of a project. Preparing to bring it to life! Try getting some sleep tonight. :D

Matt

Thanks Matt, yeah I'm hoping it spins like crazy now! This stage of the project usually makes me more nervous than excited, so I'm trying to focus on the positive :smuggrin: and not the potential doom :shifty:.

I'm so excited! Get some video!

Thanks Leroy! Will do :snaphappy:

Yeah!! I've only driven it about 2 miles ao far. To go down to the gas station to get some fuel and then a couple trips up the street to get the fluid all through the trans. Feels strong so far though! :smuggrin: She's in the garage ready to take me to work in the morning. I can't wait to get her a bath during lunch. image.jpg

Back