• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

They just received my core Friday so I need to call them today to confirm the details. When I talked to them last week they told me they only had one grind, so I asked about the 202 and the 206 and they said they only offer the 202 now because there were valve to piston clearance issues with the 206. They can still make the 206 but they don't consider it a bolt in so they don't really advertise it. They said you have to cut valve reliefs in the pistons to use it. So sounds like I'll be going with the 202.

I wonder if using a +10 head gasket would make any difference? I'm certain I've read of other members using the 206 without issues. Maybe Delta ran into problems with a customer who had a block that had been decked, or heads that had been resurfaced.

Matt

I wonder if using a +10 head gasket would make any difference? I'm certain I've read of other members using the 206 without issues. Maybe Delta ran into problems with a customer who had a block that had been decked, or heads that had been resurfaced.

Matt

Yeah I had read people using it too. Not a bad thought on the gasket, hmmmm. I'll ask when I talk to them today.

And I realized that I have the 1.6 ratio rockers, so I think I should play it safe and get the 202 cam. I'll still ask Delta about the head and block decking though to see if that could have been a factor in the past.

I like lots of overlap on a gas turbo motor however too much and the turbine ignites the unburnt fuel not familiar with turbo diesel cams and suspect a N/A bumpstick would do well w/turbo.

I don't know much about diesel turbo cam theory. I'm used to the gas engine world where there are lots of options and descriptions. I'm mostly just wanting to try something and then report how my combo works for information for the group. Since it's only $94 for the regrind it's a relatively cheap thing to try. I'm kind of in a time crunch due to the health of my current engine so I can't do a ton of research and custom specifying of parts. Someday maybe I'll get to take my time and specify something really custom and outstanding.

Called Delta today. I'm going with the 202 grind just to be safe. He said that yes, the 206 can work, but they ran into enough people that had trouble due to their particular setup (milled heads and/or block, rocker ratio, etc) that they stopped offering it to save the hassle. My engine with stock deck height and head surface, plus +.010 gaskets would probably be ok, but with the 1.6 ratio rockers I just didn't want to chance it. He's going to tell me the difference between the before and after base circle measurements to get me in the ball park for push rod length, but I'll get a couple checking push rods just to be sure.

I dropped the heads off at the machine shop and he thought the block should be done on Wednesday...so hopefully Wednesday night I'll be file-fitting my rings. It will be nice to have the short block together.

I'll have more pics after tonight. I got my block, crank and heads back from the machine shop Thursday night, but haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet. I'll start gapping the rings tonight. Hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I'll have the short block mostly assembled.

I'm really hoping by the end of next week I can start pulling the old engine out, but I'm waiting on 2 things before I can do that: tax refund and machined precups....hopefully they both hit next week.

I'll have more pics after tonight. I got my block, crank and heads back from the machine shop Thursday night, but haven't had a chance to do anything with them yet. I'll start gapping the rings tonight. Hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I'll have the short block mostly assembled.

I'm really hoping by the end of next week I can start pulling the old engine out, but I'm waiting on 2 things before I can do that: tax refund and machined precups....hopefully they both hit next week.

Let me tell you, I'm on the edge of the chair here waiting for the final results!

Well, don't smash that throttle to the floor-board :D mine will not smoke if I just tease the throttle however if I nail it a cloud of smoke is in some poor souls face :mad:

Easier said than done with the new turbo :cool: My problem is gray oil smoke though. She's sick....very sick. Just gotta make it a couple more weeks......

Actually I lied, I do have something to share. Here are pics I took when I got the parts home. I'm disappointed in myself...for some reason I thought that the cleaning operation at the machine shop would take care of the rust in the valley, but unfortunately it did not. If I had known that I would have wire wheeled it before cleaning. So now I'm hand wire brushing it to clean it, but not throw dust everywhere. It hasn't been that bad actually, and I've been vacuuming the rust off so it's not getting anywhere it shouldn't, but it's still a bummer. I don't have any pics post wire brush yet, I'll post that tonight.

Note the cam bearings that aren't copper colored!!:DPM BLOCK1.jpg PM BLOCK2.jpg PM BLOCK3.jpg PM BLOCK4.jpg PM BLOCK5.jpg

I hope that's just a stain on the main web and not what it looks like.....o_O

If they did caustic soda bath on the block with the cam bearings in place, you should consider replacing the cam bearings.

Don't forget the clean and chase the blind holes with a bottoming tap. Run each hole a couple times until the tap comes out (mostly) clean. Dipping the block doesn't clean that stuff out....

Back