• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A military rebuilt 6.5

Loaded up and ready to come home with me. Just 5 miles through town and it's teardown time!! :Dimage.jpg

Quick food break. My original estimation of the engine seems to be off, but I should have known based on the pics before. It looks like the heads are original to the engine and the engine wasn't rebuilt. This must just be one of the cast offs from the repower program. I'm still totally happy with my pirchSe so far though! The insides that I have seen so far are super clean, so it appears to be another low mile engine. After this I'm taking my daughter out there with me so she can do a little wrenching and see how the inside of an engine looks....then I'll see the important bits. Here are pics so far. More to follow.....image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

I'm liking what I see! Even those nylon rocker buttons don't have that old dried out, brittle look to them. I realize you have roller rockers to put on it, but those appear to be in good shape. :)

Matt

Ok I inspected everything except tthe cam bearing and it's in nice shape. I wouldn't be scared to use the bearings but it would be silly to since it's sitting at this state right now. It hassquare precups, which is to be expected. Overall very pleased. Time to call Leroy and get some gapless rings on order! Here are a couple pics. More to come. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Oh yeah and here's my helper. Apparently not a good day to brush our hair...she'd probably kill me if she knew I was posting this! She was actually a big help taking pics of bearings and journals because I could stay dirty and she could stay clean (along with my phone). Some pictures are a little iffy though...I think it was hard for her to take an actual picture of something and not a #selfie :p:Dimage.jpg

Yep, you'd be in trouble if she knew that was on the web.:D My daughter is 13, and I'd never hear the end of it.

The engine is sweet Nate. It seems pretty common to still be able to lightly see the crosshatch in the cylinder in these 6.5's, but that almost looks like it was done yesterday. :eek: Have you already closely inspected the mains webs, and the heads for cracks?

Matt

Mine is 14 and yeah, a fit would be had for sure!

I looked between the valves in the heads and they looked good. You know, I didn't check the main webs really. I guess I figured since it was an Optimizer that I'd be ok, but now that you mention it, it would be unwise for me to not closely inspect them. I will definitely do that, thanks for mentioning it. ;)

Says the guy whose optimizer ate a center cam bearing: "Put in new cam bearings while you are there, least you regret it later." I keep my old one in reach of the drivers seat in my rig as a reminder, no joke.

Yeah wow look at that, the cross hatch in the cylinder bores are clearly visable. Nice score, good for you!

At least you supplied your daughter with the proper outfit!

Says the guy whose optimizer ate a center cam bearing: "Put in new cam bearings while you are there, least you regret it later." I keep my old one in reach of the drivers seat in my rig as a reminder, no joke.

Thanks for the advice Will, I will swap those too while I'm this far into it. A heck of a lot cheaper and easier to do it now rather than later!

Thanks Jorge! Yeah I figured this was better than her trying to find some clothes that she didn't mind getting dirty.

Yeah Evans is definitely in the plan but I think I'll put it together with regular coolant first to make sure I don't have any problems. I'd hate to leak or burn such expensive coolant.

Just checked the main webs and no cracks, so that's great. I'm not sure if it will show well in the pic but check out the cam bearing....you can just start to see copper. What's up with cam bearings in these??? Did they use bad bearings or somethingimage.jpg image.jpg ? Ah well, I'll have a set of Clevites put in and that should be that.

Yep,The cam bearings are not very good in any 6.5 from beginning all the way through optimizer. (IDK about p400 cam bearings, Does anyone know what they run?) Your gonna laugh when you see the stamp mfr. on the back of the bearing when you pull it out...GM. When you do the rear cam seal do the red Loctite and really consider a safety screw. I think MissyGoodwench did a write up on that also.

Yep,The cam bearings are not very good in any 6.5 from beginning all the way through optimizer. (IDK about p400 cam bearings, Does anyone know what they run?) Your gonna laugh when you see the stamp mfr. on the back of the bearing when you pull it out...GM. When you do the rear cam seal do the red Loctite and really consider a safety screw. I think MissyGoodwench did a write up on that also.

Thanks for the continues tips will, I'll see what I can find.

SBC somewhat had that issue as well. the front cam bearing furthest from the oil pump so last bearing to get oil. also I doubt if some of the military drivers warmed up their engines

Back