• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A/C Deslugger

Not seeing it on cars because its only an issue in the bigger systems with rear air and the lower compressor. The more volume of oil and refrigerant in the system, the more likely.

And I know you’ll laugh, but search the tornado and my name on this forum. When it was new I worked for 76 oils and fuels. We did massive testing with them. Found they worked amazing on some vehicles and were counter productive to others. The gm vortec engine actually creates its own vortex and the tornado disrupted it and made it worse. My wifes v6 Chrysler saw moderate improvements and the suzukis, 4 cylinder fords, and kia engines (they only made engines back then not entire rigs) all had improvement from it. Many of the older carburetor engines improved. Basically engines that were starved for air and didn’t get a good mixture of air/fuel.
76 and mobil pushed a lawsuit trying to run them out of business using only the info we found on it not working. Dummies used my name and I ended up on the stand and told the truth, and turned over my copies of documents. You’ll notice tornado is still in business and was never ordered to stop using false advertising.

I get not having seen something and not believing it because it sounds funny to you.
Being skeptical is a good thing. But if you had seen 6 on rigs and saw 2 of them fail in just a couple years I would get saying not worth it. But GM reprogrammed some to help reduce the problem, right? Would a person reprogramming be wrong? Thats all this is - an inline reprogram. I am restricted from talking about my current job online. I dont think a pic showing a label on a pipe is incorrect to do. But use imagination and figure if I may e know something about pulse starting on compressors and pumps.
717A9A12-CDE4-4C62-9AAB-669F7082432A.jpeg

The reprogramming TSB had to do with compressor noise on start up with high temperatures due to the compressor trying to move liquid refrigerant.

Attachments

• 081543 (1).pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 2
Like I said, the reprogramming had nothing to do with pulsing it, it only increased the off time between on cycles(when I get home I can probably find some .bins to post showing the changes). It also helped out to make the engine idle smoother on a hot start while it transitioned from batch fire to sequential fuel injection. I know people that have installed desluggers and saw no improvement with them. They broke/slung just as many belts. I know people that installed them with brand new compressors, saw no improvement, put the old compressor back on with a stretch belt, and it worked fine afterwards. Four seasons is not a company I put much faith in. I've had to many of there parts cost me money to change out under warranty.

Last edited:
Looks like there is a better fix out there as @THEFERMANATOR mentions. I did not know the stretch belt could be retrofitted to older stuff.

I wouldn't mind see the changes in the calibration files just for fun. Usually the only time I dig into stuff like that is on performance tuning. With recalibrating TSBs like that its just a reflash and back out the door.

Is there a thread on performing the stretch belt retrofit? Is there a part number that I should look for.

Yes, I did do a forum search, but I'm coming up short.

I suspect that the more acceptable term for this product is that it is a solution looking for a problem.

Can see Rockabilly's point: for all known systems where slugging might happen, chances are good that the vehicle manufacturer already addressed the issue. Ferm is apparently feeding into this as well. So, by installing the device in a system, it is either band-aiding the problem (for vehicles with slugging where the manufacturer already addressed it) or it simply does not apply (for vehicles that are not known to get slugging).

. . . AC is one thing most drivers won't live without.

I'll beg to differ. Today's drivers cannot live without their connected data service. God forbid that they lose their streaming tunes or online navigation to get them home ;)

Back