• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 Suburban 6.5 to 5.9 Cummins Swap

Got the AVNW mounts today. Quality appears to be top notch. Got them mostly in. Hear you me, changing motor mount system with the engine in the way is not fun. Luckily I have a 90* drill and was able to snake it in there to drill the holes. Gonna need to borrow a friend this weekend to help me finish it up.

I replaced my rear main seal, changed my trans filter and fluid, got it all buttoned back up.

there’s a whine emitting from the front of my transmission when key ON, but engine OFF. Any ideas? Sounds similar to a pump without fluid. Is there an electronic device in there I don’t know about?

took truck down the trees for a quick test drive, heard a loud CLUNK, then a shortly after a WHIZZZZ. So now I’m just going to 5 speed swap.

What trans? Dodge NV4500? Chevy NV4500? I’d like to keep my fresh rebuild NP241C. If I use chevy 4500, what needs to be changed? Input shaft? If I use a dodge, is 241C same stud pattern as 241DHD?

Transfer case pop out of gear?

NV5600 or use a better MT. The NV4500 was an afterthought with no end of 5th gear nut coming loose problems. The spread (RPM) drop between gears is a reason they came out with the NV5600. The NV5600 had oiling problems that can be cured and is a S L O W shifter. Parts are scarce for these antiques as they ended production while they were still under OEM warranty. Plan on refreshing any wore out NV trans you get your hands on. Lots of them still barely shift with shot syncros that get ignored.

This said you can get a decent automatic in there like an Allison.

Another option, is a built 48RE 4x4 w/NP241DLD/DHD/C, the "C" will need to be clocked as well as an input shaft change.
My setup is the 47/48RE hybrid, all Billet to include Billet valve body channel plate, Sonnax mods & TransGo 48RE kit, low stall -400rpm Billet converter, Tom Woods SYE kit for T-case, midsize truck trans cooler, slightly longer converter bolts w/NORD LOCKSIMG_0306.JPGIMG_0307.JPG.IMG_0309.JPG

You could almost yank the Titanic off the bottom with that set up!
The 48RE is getting very rare because owners of newer Ram Cummins trucks are converting from the newer transmissions to the 48RE. Yes, some people are going to Allison too, but aftermarket is making it easy but costly to convert a 47RE to a full blown 48RE.

I read all of your replies, and thank you. Before I saw the replies though, I posted an ISO on my Instagram, a guy hit me up. Solid NV4500 mated to a BW4470, master and slave cyl, clutch, and flywheel out of his p pump 24V GMT400. He's going to a 48RE. The pallet be here next monday.

I raided a Pick Your Part this weekend, got the pedal assemblies and column trim, then installed it all yesterday. It's a trip not seeing a column shifter on an SUV. Only things I'm unsure about is the reverse light signal and speedo sensor that runs to the PCM wiring.

The reverse light, do i just splice into an existing signal? I presume the wires are in the harness from the 2 now-unused neutral safety switch connectors.

Speedo, there are 2 wires in factory form: PPL/WHT and GRN/BLK. the diagram i have indicates that PPL/WHT goes to VSS High slot and GRN. Just run those to the VSS, right?

For the clutch starter safety, it looks like the clutch pedal switch is in-line with the brake switch.

Thanks y'all.

yeah, got the NV4500 and BW4470 in, was hoping to just drill new holes in the frame rails for the crossmember, but it'll be too close to other holes for me to feel safe. new crossmember to be fabbed.
redid the rear heater lines, routed them along the framerail to the front instead of over the exhaust and over the trans like they were with the 6.5TD.
original down pipe was pretty funky and it wasn't exactly easy to remove with the starter on the driverside and the SAS leaf hangers in the way, that will be addressed shortly.
new driveshafts are ordered, redid the interior to accommodate the stick, rewired the back up lights, installed all OEM GMT400 pedal assembly, removed the column shifter, replaced with proper column cover, removed the auto trans cable.
The 4500 came with a pretty fresh stage 1 South Bend Clutch.
Master cyl is from a chevy, mated to a dodge slave cyl. went together great.

The size difference between the NP241C and the BW4470 is impressive.

Attachments

• IMG_7877.jpg
    IMG_7877.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7893.jpg
    IMG_7893.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7895.jpg
    IMG_7895.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7904.jpg
    IMG_7904.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7905.jpg
    IMG_7905.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
yeah, got the NV4500 and BW4470 in, was hoping to just drill new holes in the frame rails for the crossmember, but it'll be too close to other holes for me to feel safe. new crossmember to be fabbed.
redid the rear heater lines, routed them along the framerail to the front instead of over the exhaust and over the trans like they were with the 6.5TD.
original down pipe was pretty funky and it wasn't exactly easy to remove with the starter on the driverside and the SAS leaf hangers in the way, that will be addressed shortly.
new driveshafts are ordered, redid the interior to accommodate the stick, rewired the back up lights, installed all OEM GMT400 pedal assembly, removed the column shifter, replaced with proper column cover, removed the auto trans cable.
The 4500 came with a pretty fresh stage 1 South Bend Clutch.
Master cyl is from a chevy, mated to a dodge slave cyl. went together great.

The size difference between the NP241C and the BW4470 is impressive.
A 1st gen Cummins 2wd 4" OD downpipe attached to a mid-mount exhaust manifold will tuck down between the bottom two bolts of trans adapter on passenger side, another option would be a Cummins cobra-head down pipe.

Back