• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 Engine build

2000° Temp coating? I wonder how it would work on prepped exhaust manifolds, how long it would last and what it would look like after a few years of driving? That would look pretty sharp on our 6.5's with aluminized exhaust manifolds instead of iron rust!

Yes, but that's not what I asked/was wondering about. At the claimed 2000°, it SHOULD be safe to use on our exhaust manifolds that should never see above 1400°, and silver would look really cool with a GM Blue (or any blue, or red or orange or black) block!

What did that pint of coating cost you? I would like to possibly do this to mine one of these days. I'm with Husker on the color for the exhaust manifolds. even though they are not headers it would look eye appealing to see them that color under there!

of course on some of these old rat rods and classic cars, I bet some would want to do this to the whole block so that folks would have to do a double take just to see the block isn't all aluminum. that with some black headers too LOL.

I wonder if that coating can be polished some after it's cured. thinking for some nice shiny engine parts or poor mans chrome. HAHA

That aluminum parts are finished with the Bill Hirsch coating. I'm pleased with the cast pieces and lines. Right now they're at a local guy's place who can bake them at 300 deg. F for 10 mins. so they're cured out when I ship them back to Twisted Steel Performance.View attachment 81007View attachment 81008
I could use the wifeys oven and get the same results, yes ? 😵‍💫🤪😹😹😹

I picked up my parts yesterday and the powdercoater held them at 300 deg. F for 10 mins. He said it took about 45 mins to get up to temperature on the manifold. His shop still smells horrible from it. I'm hoping I got good adhesion since I didn't see any bubbling, which is supposed to be an indicator of an oily surface underneath after cured and brought to temperature. I'll plan to box everything up next week to send off to Twisted Steel Performance.

In case anyone is wondering, the pint shown above is WAY more than enough to coat all the part I coated.

I picked up my parts yesterday and the powdercoater held them at 300 deg. F for 10 mins. He said it took about 45 mins to get up to temperature on the manifold. His shop still smells horrible from it. I'm hoping I got good adhesion since I didn't see any bubbling, which is supposed to be an indicator of an oily surface underneath after cured and brought to temperature. I'll plan to box everything up next week to send off to Twisted Steel Performance.

In case anyone is wondering, the pint shown above is WAY more than enough to coat all the part I coated.
Can You show a picture of coated products ?

@SnowDrift

Build update....

The machine work took twice as long as expected but the quality of the work was worth the wait.
Short block is finished, next is heads once lifters arrive then paint stuff.
I have never posted pics of a finished block with splayed caps and my halo girdle, some that have never seen it comment it won't fit, well it fits just like I designed it to...

Other than a filled block this is as bullet proof as it gets, @DieselAmateur 's block is filled, that build info will be in another thread soon...

As mentioned this rotating assembly was severely out of balance, now it's balanced to race specs and will be a very smooth engine.

All bearings were set to .0025 clearance and all were coated.

008.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

Last edited:
Back