• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 Chevy 1ton possible steering issues.

Had ordered a condenser fan that I think should be slim enough to fit behind the grill to help the AC out while sitting in traffic.

Remove and toss the GM trans cooler. Strap a aftermarket trans cooler to the front of the radiator. Then get the 454 aux cooling fan that goes in that spot and wire it to the compressor or ignition.

AC Condensers run at 160 degrees max. Over that R134a looses efficency and requires extreme head pressure to continue to work. Yet Some ignorant MORON engineer decided to put oil coolers that run at 220+ degrees in front of the condenser. This stupidity is unfixable as it continues today.

Where I did this to my 1993:

I removed the grill and the horn to make room for the fan and discovered this two wire connector

Don't look factory. Maybe an old alarm hood open switch.

Thanks guys. I have another question while screwing with my truck. Take a look at this photo of my fan blade. Is it installed backwards???

Attachments

• DEADCBAF-00DE-43EB-A473-FA017D2FCD34.jpeg
    DEADCBAF-00DE-43EB-A473-FA017D2FCD34.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 6
I think on my last post I figured it out. It’s installed correctly.

No. it's not installed correctly! Remove it and place the 6 blade fan and the 6 bolt fan clutch in the Scrap Metal Pile!

Get a 9 blade fan from a 1998 model year and four bolt fan clutch. Or a 2002 Duramax fan and 4 bolt fan clutch, but, you may have to trim the shroud. I have recommended Kennedy Diesel's low temp clutch in the past as it helps.

If you want to go further replace the water pump with a HO balanced flow pump thread on fan clutch style. You will need the thread on fan clutch as well.

Now is the time to make the call on the water pump being four bolt to fan clutch or thread on. The thread on is the better pump for balanced flow.

Since you are there: clean out the mat of debris from behind the oil cooler built up on the condenser.

@WarWagon I thought the 9 blade fan wouldn’t fit on a bolt on style fan clutch!

I am planning on going to cooling upgrade soon, but with everything else they keeps going wrong with it keep setting my pocket book back further and further! Friday afternoon I was checking air flow and it was cranking up fine. Then less than a minute later I tried cranking up again and both batteries flatlined on me out of nowhere!! Gotta scrape the piggy bank for a new set lol.

by the way what’s the best route to go? Stay with the side post oe style or redo the cables and go with top post batteries?

Oh my! I didn’t know anyone still had that fan around. WW is right, get that fan in the recycling can asap.
6 blade fan is a joke. Get a 9 blade fan on there at minimum.
My opinion is to do balanced flow spinon with AK dd shown electro viscous. But short of that at least get a good fan on there. Make sure the direction is right because the original 4 bolt pumps were v belt and opposite direction of serpentine belt

Would y’all happen to know the 9 blade part number or where I can search for one other than a junkyard? All the JY around here never have anything with a 6.5

I know I should start a new thread but this was just gonna be a quick thing to check before our vacation trip

I’m testing my ac right now to see how much the condenser fan is helping. About 87 degrees outside At idle fans on max. Ac pushing 53deg. Condenser inlet temp is about 125. Condenser outlet at 118. Low pressure 34 high is just under 200 and the evap drain pushing water out like there’s no tomorrow! Trying to determine if I need a little more 134

I know the recirculating door motor is broken so it’s pulling in outside air. Need to prop it up to circulate in the cab

I’ll let it idle for a while longer and see if pressure and temperature changes

This is interesting... I found a piece of round stock to wedge the recirculating door closed so it would circulate air in the cab. And almost immediately vent temps dropped down to close to 42 degrees. Low pressure on the gauges dropped to 25 psi high is at just about 175 condenser temps weee rising to almost 145 but now are at 130 compressor side and 110 at the office while cab fan it on max!

Remember the 9 blade that fits the spin on clutch does NOT fit clutch for the 4 bolt.
Yes the recirc door is MASSIVE to a/c working at it’s peak. I never would open my recirculating door if given that option.
DC5FC5BB-C704-48A0-8EC7-4FCA1E89B3E2.jpeg
6B5E7850-CEB5-4B4A-887D-FF768DA84A92.jpeg

Last edited:
So you said 87 outside, 37 low,200 high. Look at chart above. You are low on 134a, most likely. If charged by weight is correct then you have one of the lower problems listed. But since you have such a spread between high and low pressures- i think low on 134a

Last edited:
Ok- your post popped up same time as mine.
now 90% convinced you are low. 10% chance the blower is not moving enough air across the evaporator inside the dash. Does the airflow blow your (or your wife’s) hair back like it should?

Like in your house if you don’t change the air filter, everything else can be perfect- but plugged filter will cause an evaporator to freeze up. Guessing your evap isn’t plugged because you said you recently replaced everything.

on edit- by time I finished typing, my odds went up to 94% low on 134a, 6% other.

Thanks. I have cleaned the evap before by washing it out like shown in some YouTube videos but that hasn’t been replaced. I do need to pull it though because the box is cracked and it drips some water in the floorboard. Just went to Wally World to grab som 134. Oddly they changed the design of the cans. They look like the old r12 cans now lol. Slimmer and taller! I believe good air passes through the evap but I know the doors aren’t sealing well since a little air flows through the defrost vent and the floor but a majority comes out the front. One of these days I want to go junkyard exploring to try and locate a un-cracked dash and grab a complete air box to replace the cracked housing on mine. The cracks can cause this problem too.

You will need a new fan clutch. It's 6 bolt fan 4 bolt water pump: 4 bolt fan 4 bolt water pump: 4 bolt fan thread on water pump.

Pictures and count the bolts holding the fans on the clutch.

Last edited:
Back