• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Relocate aftermarket trans cooler between condenser and radiator and add Aux fan...

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
In realizing that condensers should stay under 160 degrees I measured how oil coolers in front of the condenser heat up the condenser. The passenger side is the liquid feed to the evaporator so it's the most important. Here is how I mounted mine between the radiators. Downside is it's hard to get to to replace hoses every few years, but, better hoses would solve that. Time/money...

Before:

IMG_20180722_165950269.jpg

Since we are there let's check the Orface tube condition. Damn: have to rebuild AC system. This VOV has served me well. Sadly killed by the typical body O Ring leak on R4 compressors. The "Murray" brand VOV replacements are still Defective solid plugs.

IMG_20180722_175201318.jpg

Trans cooler strapped to radiator with Aux Fan hold downs and pads between cooler and radiator.

IMG_20180722_221956857.jpg

IMG_20180722_222007677.jpg

After:
Aux pusher fan installed - the 1993 has bolt holes on both sides for one. Wired "on with ignition" rather than off the AC compressor. The 6.5 Engine oil cooler uses them on the driver side. Yes, I didn't want to flush the condenser so I replaced it.

IMG_20180723_220013130_LL.jpg

Take the trans cooler to someone that can tigweld. Weld on jic fittings (longer if you choose so easier to reach) and have hydraulic hoses made so they will last 30 years without batting an eye.

Yes the condensor should be outfront. It is easier engineering and cheaper build to do it the other way.

It looks like you have an LONG low pressure drop "bypass" (LPD) aux cooler if so it is the most efficient design of air to fluid coolers used in aviation for many, many, many decades and blocks very little air flow through it too.

Ever consider installing a torque converter heat exchanger like the Ram Cummins has?

A new 85k BTU rated pool exchanger (stainless or titanium) an be used too to beat back the trans fluid heat load created by the converter especially high stall types and can be had on the cheap on the bay as compared to prices of the Dodge exchangers.

I know you needed to get the rig usable in a timely manor this time...

My plan with the new motor is to incorporate the oil cooler to under the bed of the truck and have a fan for it with temp controller. The less heat in front will make a big difference to both AC & radiator temps... It's a little more work but me thinks it will help make everything cooler...

Back