• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

9.25" IFS DIFFERENTIAL AXLE SEALS

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with new aftermarket SKF part # 16123 inner axle seal leaking on passenger side, drivers side the seal works. I suspect this was the best as it was priced higher than national, ac delco, or timpken. I'm leaning towards timpken and need input from those of you in the know.

Believe mine has skf's in it. Been 7 years since I did it, but I used what came in the kit I got when I did my gears. Wasn't an oem kit, but the place I bought them through uses good stuff, normally us made.

Believe mine has skf's in it. Been 7 years since I did it, but I used what came in the kit I got when I did my gears. Wasn't an oem kit, but the place I bought them through uses good stuff, normally us made.
I ordered the Timpken's, I suspect the one seal that is leaking was damaged somehow, thanks for the input.

Well, the TIMPKEN seals arrived, they are the newer style 710497 designed like the SKF's "and now I found the problem." The newer seals are three piece 1) metal housing 2) main seal and 3) seal w/dust ring. What I found is that the main seals are improperly installed into the metal housing during manufacturing process and canted inside the bore of the metal housing while the outer seal w/dust ring is properly installed.

Needless to say this has made me bat s--t crazy, some web sites have suggested using only the update GM seals but I see there seems to be premature failure of those seals too. The old single seals w/metal lip worked every time and over a decade w/o leaks.

Well, today the replacement axle seal arrived from a vendor on this site, "it's worse that the one it replaces." Contacted them and they said they will replace it again or refund the $. Even though the parts are Timken they lack quality control.

So now I've been through SKF & TIMKEN both brands evidence poor manufacturing quality control which appears not to be isloated, now maybe NATIONAL seal will be better.

Short clips of two defective TIMPKEN # 710497 axle seals.
I thought SKF and National were one and the same now
I'm not sure if that is the case, but as luck would have it, 'I can't seem to get another good axle seal in a timely fashion.'

The vendor called me after I had sent two short video clips of the defects which they reviewed, I had asked if they could just inspect any replacement seal before shipment "they could not" as it comes from offsite warehouse and will refund the price.

No one stocks them locally, so I must order, so far ordering has brought a crap fest........

It's not really local to you, but I got all my stuff from Allan's gear works out of clearwater area.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out.

I can't find the older GM styled seals anywhere and GM dealer is using/selling one of the three seals I had mentioned in earlier post.

I have two short vids I had sent to the vendor that clearly show what to look for at the store so you don'y buy defective seals and have to redo the job, I had tried to upload them here but they are too big. If perhaps I can send them via email and some how they can be posted it will go far in preventing anyone else at least members of this site from going through the pain.

IFS = Independent Front Suspension? If so are these the seals on the front differential, or out on the bearing at the steering knuckle?

Back