• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's NV4500 Swap

Nope. Now here's the douzy. My freind found an NV4500 in a 96 . it's a 4x4 setup but hooked to a gasser. Will it work and will the ratios be ok for a diesel ?

There is no difference in ratios or bellhousings between gas and diesels.

You might need a different flywheel, I know smallblock and bigblock gas are different, assuming that diesels may be different also.

flywheel should not be an issue to obtain. Yeah I would assume the diesel one is different but if the tranny's the same that's awesome. Now gotta find a hyd clutch setup for OBS or that conversion bellhousing to use mech.

different flywheel on the diesel but it shares the same as a 6.5 single mass setup. as for the clucth setup, I don't know if anybody makes on for the mechanical setup but it's not hard to find the HYD version. the NV4500 your looking at, internal or external slave?

Another quick update. Finally got done screwing around with the clutch bracket. I think I had that thing in and out of there 4-5 times now, figuring out what side the wires go on and such. What a PITA. Then I got the hydraulic line routed and bolted the clutch pedal assembly in.
P1080910.jpg

Then I was off to wiring mania for about the last 5 hours. I had to wire up the clutch cruise control kill, clutch pedal safety start switch, and the backup light switch. I also cleaned up a few other connections while the dash was down. This recent find on ebay was about the most invaluable thing in this entire swap; I don't know how i lived with out it.
P1080887.jpg

The wiring itself wasn't horrible and didn't take too long; making sure all the wiring was out of the way of the pedal did. Once that was done I also swapped the brake pedal, and put the dash up. Now I have me some pedals.

P1080911.jpg

P1080912.jpg

Tomorrow the floor is getting cut, then the interior can be put back together. The only wiring left now is to hook up the reverse lights plug and my trans temp sensor, but that will happen when the trans is in the truck so I know how long to make them.
Hey what a great post! I am doing the exact same swap right now and everything is going well. I just have one question about the wiring. My 700r4 has a four wire square connector and the nv4500 connector only accepts 2 wires, I know it was a while ago but can you recall what you did there?

My question is when you swapped the trans where do I put the wires that were on the 700r4 there isn't any place for them on the NV 4500 please help

Back