• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's NV4500 Swap

Just let me know if you get some time Mike, I'm usually not too busy on the weekends and my upcomming semester is going to be somewhat easier than the last one, so I'll have some time.

Mike, if you are hinting that you want your current rig with a manual, there is one half local that has one, if you are interested. :thumbsup: (although I doubt it is a nice as yours, you have quite a gem there!) (ha, a gem in the gem state....I really need to go to bed now! :biggrin: )

crap. 1 am and I can't fall asleep :mad2::mad2:

Nooo, not touching my current truck. I do want to do a PCM tune one of these days, that's as far as I'd go with beast. If I could have found an identica truck except for the manual way back when, I would have probably bought the manual. The allison will just have to do :smile5: Can't say I've got any complaints.

As a shade-tree mechanic nutcase ):h I like to see what other people have done with their rigs. My '91 Cherokee is kinda my tinkering "toy". Inline 6 w/ AX15 manual tranny, one of Jeeps more bulletproof combos. Put a 2" bastard lift on it this year. Replaced all the steering linkage this year too, wow I can actually keep it in my lane now going down the highway :D . Next goal is to find some cheap axles w/ 3.73 or 4.10 gearing. Can't believe it came with 3.07 from the factory. Pretty gutless on the highway climbing hills around here, always having to downshift to 3rd. Of course I get spoiled with the truck that can climb the same hills in overdrive at 65 without breaking a sweat.

I didn't know you were rocking a Jeep. Brandon (07HDclassic) recently got a Jeep Cherokee Limited, I think his was a 91 as well. He's got the same I6/AX15 combo you do as well. Makes for a good little run around rig, and was very useful when his vane position sensor put the Silverado on parking lot duty. Sucks he didn't have it when the pitman snapped, I let him borrow the 02 and it ended up getting driven in the de-icer and rain :mad2: which I hate letting that thing get in.

While I sure wouldn't take mine across country on a road trip (comfort being a big factor), dollar for dollar it's my cheapest-to-own vehicle. Impala is a close second but I've had to replace CV axles a couple times, not cheap for the quality parts. Gets me back and forth to Moscow for errand runs and I can have fun in the mountains too. I love that it's such a simple design. Being able to replace the rear main seal without having to remove engine or tranny was very handy (btw if Brandon needs to do that I can definitely help or give advice).

My little red shoebox

jeep.jpg

Yeah, Brandon's doesn't go anywhere except in town. He actually just did the rear main seal amongst other things like exhaust, which is why he had my 02 :D

Thanks for the offer on helping on the Jeep Mike. Ive actually upgraded in the world of vehicles, the Jeep is up for sale and I bought a 88 3/4 suburban now... The jeep is a great rig but I found the suburban and couldnt pass it up

thank you for posting your conversion. i was wondering if anyone could help me. i want to do a transmission swap on my 1984 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy. i want to put a nv4500 in it. it already has a 4 speed which one i'm not sure. how hard will it be and how much will it cost

Don't know if it is easily done or not, but I had around $2300 in my swap. I did all the work myself. Which included rebuilding the NV4500.

thank you for posting your conversion. i was wondering if anyone could help me. i want to do a transmission swap on my 1984 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy. i want to put a nv4500 in it. it already has a 4 speed which one i'm not sure. how hard will it be and how much will it cost

I can tell you that you have the SM465(3+low). IIRC the nv4500 has the same bolt pattern but is longer overall. what transfer case are you using?

well i have the 208 alluminum case. what bolt pattern you talking about. are you talking the one that bolts my trans to the bellhousing. if i could keep my manual linkage clutch i would like to. i was reading that the nv4500 is 12.37 inches and the sm465 is 12 inches. so that difference wont be because it has 4 inches of lift

I was referring to the bellhousing to the engine. I don't know if you could rig a mechanical clutch with the NV4500. you'd have to have one with a external slave.

Did anybody answer this cause I'm in the same boat. will an NV4500 bolt to an SM465 Bellhousing so as to retain the Mch linkage and will the NP 208 fit the NV4500 ?

IIRC the NV4500 uses a unique bolt pattern. there is a company I can't recall that sells mechanical bellhousings for them.

Correct kenny. My blazer is a hydro linkage. The hydro linkage came out in 85, and the firewall has the dimples for where the two studs/rods go and the center mark where the hole saw needs to be placed for the clutch master. Your CUCV firewall should have the marks when you get down right to the steel. I had to rip away the sound deadening insulation crap, but the CUCV doesn't have that right?

Back